Forums

Superchargers coming to the Alaska Highway

Superchargers coming to the Alaska Highway

The headline is Superchargers coming to the Alaska Highway. It's light on details, the only thing that's on Tesla's map is one Supercharger in Anchorage. I hope this means that they are going to cover the whole ALCAN highway form BC to Yukon to Alaska. Would love to be able to do that trip when the CV crisis is over.

https://insideevs.com/news/407430/alaska-highway-supercharging-stations-...

Bighorn | 2020年4月2日

Insideevs apparently wasn’t aware of yesterday’s date.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月2日

Lulz

Parrots will be parrots.

bjrosen | 2020年4月2日

What kind of April Fools joke is this? Doesn't make any sense because there is no humor in it. Superchargers along the ALCAN is something I would dearly like to see, that would be a really interesting road trip which isn't possible now unless you want to charge at RV parks.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月2日

The joke is on you for being a parrot.

Bighorn | 2020年4月2日

Twitter was rife with them yesterday. Just another obvious one.

FISHEV | 2020年4月2日

@bjrosen | April 2, 2020What kind of April Fools joke is this? Doesn't make any sense because there is no humor in it. Superchargers along the ALCAN is something I would dearly like to see, that would be a really interesting road trip which isn't possible now unless you want to charge at RV parks."

Hey I'm just glad they didn't say "Tesla Gives Away CCS Adapters to Model 3 Owners in Line at Kettleman SC"

I meant I'd be half way to CA with a box of Astronaut Diapers and MRE's

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月2日

FISHEV is an EVIL FAT DISGUSTING TROLL that hates Tesla and EVs.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2020年4月2日

I'm with @bj.
A trip up the ALCAN highway may be my last ICE roadtrip -- unless it gets Supercharger coverage before I get the time.

Bighorn | 2020年4月2日

Wade did it on level 2s. I wasn’t feeling that leisurely or creative.

syclone | 2020年4月2日

Don't see it happening any time soon. Not enough traffic to warrant the capitol layout.

FISHEV | 2020年4月2日

If you had a CCS adapter you could do it.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2020年4月2日

I can't see how a CCS adapter would be of any use on the ALCAN highway at this point.

Serving it would, however, be an opportunity for EA, EVgo, etc to show they're serious about infrastructure though. Its a prime path to get a jump on Tesla somewhere.

It would certainly be better than just sending their goons and trolls out to try to disrupt the Tesla forum as seems to be their only real action to date.

coleAK | 2020年4月2日

I’m in Alaska and saying no way any time soon. Also an FYI it makes no sense at all to put the first supercharger in Anchorage. When we get our first S.C. it should be at a junction: Talkeetna, Glennallen, Delta, Tok, Cantwell, or even Fairbanks.

walnotr | 2020年4月3日

The Anchaorage SC is listed on the official Tesla map as “coming soon”. I does make sense to put the first one in the largest population center of the state but it will not be any help to people wanting to get out of the “city”.

bjrosen | 2020年4月3日

It makes much more sense for Tesla to put Superchargers along the ALCAN then it does for a charging company to do it sans government subsidies. The Supercharger network is a huge part of the value proposition for Tesla. It's not about how much you use the Superchargers it's about the ability to go everywhere even if you seldom go anywhere. The first question I get from people who don't have EVs is what do I do if I want to take a roadtrip. They assume because they haven't seen chargers everywhere that an EV is just a commuting car. I have the easy answer for them, I say it's a Tesla it has 310 miles of range and there are Superchargers everywhere. As an example I tell them that we went to Canada last summer, we stopped once on the way up in Lincoln NH, charged and then went for lunch and that we stopped on the way back in Berlin VT and a second time at Hooksett NH because we need to go to the bathroom, didn't need the charge in Hooksett but did it anyway because we had to stop anyway. I also tell them that we do 300-400 mile day trips every weekend (this is before CV) and that our charging stops don't take any longer than it takes for us to go to the bathroom. Being able to get to out of the way places is proof that the car has no limits, being able to drive to Alaska would be definitive proof even if hardly anyone did it.

FISHEV | 2020年4月3日

Earl and Nagin ... | April 2, 2020 I can't see how a CCS adapter would be of any use on the ALCAN highway at this point."

Canada like EU uses CCS as it's defacto fast DC charging connector. So for US and Canadian EV's having the CCS adapter gives them access to fast charging where Tesla offers nothing.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月3日

Tesla offers Superchargers for fast charging, did so before any of the "public" networks here built networks that lockout over 80% of the EV's on the road in the USA. Why don't the third party networks want to sell electricity to over 80 of the market here? EVgo is retrofitting to have TESLA plugs.

Bighorn | 2020年4月3日

@Earl
Of course you are correct, the AlCan highway is not served by Chademo or CCS charging except at Whitehorse.

FISHEV | 2020年4月3日

@Bighorn | April 2, 2020Insideevs apparently wasn’t aware of yesterday’s date."

Either was Tesla as it does show future Anchorage SC on the map was posted on IEEV.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?search=North%20America&bounds=82.4859974695...

Maybe April Fool's day was extended along with the "Stay Home" order.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月3日

FISHEV you are a MORON!

Bighorn | 2020年4月3日

No shit.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月3日

I wonder if the delete gang, whoever they are, should reconvene?

FISHEV | 2020年4月3日

You can find quite a few Chademo/CCS chargers available all along the ALCAN

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html

FISHEV | 2020年4月3日

Here's more info on Public Charging in BC en route to Alaska.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/electricity-alternative-ener...

Bighorn | 2020年4月3日

This is the only one. As revealed above.
https://chargehub.com/en/full-details-page.html?locId=79392

Earl and Nagin ... | 2020年4月3日

@BH, Thanks.
Of course, Whitehorse is probably the only place on the ALCAN Highway where one would probably like to hang out for a few days.
A Level 2 at a hotel would be just fine there.
This means that, as usual, CHAdeMO and CCS charging stations are placed in the wrong locations. They're mostly just greenwashing pork without much regard for meeting the needs of the user.

Bighorn | 2020年4月3日

There is one charging station in Carcross, but that's a 50 km detour. I just did the trans-Canada highway a few weeks ago and would love to do the AlCan at some point. Maybe being stir crazy after this SIP will be the impetus. Glad I got 12,500+ miles in right before they closed the border.

FISHEV | 2020年4月3日

TransCanad is definitely doable with CCS adapter. Per the BC Hydro links above looks like ALCAN has about the same availability for CCS.

Here's a Porsche Taycan owner doing the TransCan.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taking-one-lap-of-the-country-...

Bighorn | 2020年4月3日

No shit.

coleAK | 2020年4月3日

@walnotr. On the Tesla map The SC in anchorage has been listed as “coming soon” for at least 3 years.

I hope the SC network expands up to AK but from a realistic standpoint, I don’t see it happening any time soon. Any infrastructure up here is extremely expensive. Just a ballpark to build a S.C. in Tok would be on the lines of 10-100x more expensive then the “lower 48”.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2020年4月3日

"Any infrastructure up here is extremely expensive"
Once all of the permafrost has melted, it won't be so tough :-(
In the mean time, building around permafrost can be a real bear. You either have to dig down and fill to bedrock or build above where it can stay cool.
If anyone does make it to Whitehorse, I highly recommend the Yukon Transportation Museum museum out by the airport. It is fascinating the amount of challenges they went through to build it. Without a cold war defense budget it could never have been done.
It also has a 70 amp J-1772 SunCountry Highway charging station!!!

coleAK | 2020年4月3日

@earl and nagin... permafrost is discontinuous to sporadic everywhere up here where there are roads (south of Fairbanks) in the state other than the haul road. The continuous permafrost line is just above Fairbanks.

cquail | 2020年4月4日

If fast EV charging is built along the highway to Alaska, folks will come. I would be one of them.

FISHEV | 2020年4月4日

@quail | April 4, 2020 If fast EV charging is built along the highway to Alaska, folks will come. I would be one of them."

If you look at Page 9 of BC Hydro's build out of DC Fast Charging you can see how far North in BC it is planned for. BC hydro's initial planned deployment was to the North East based on population and driving patterns.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry...

jallred | 2020年4月4日

This document is intended to outline the approximate number and location of a core number of DCFC sites required to facilitate safe, convenient EV travel across British Columbia, and general principles for developing these sites. -from Jack's link

They aren't planning it, they are doing a study to see where someone (other than them) would have to put chargers to facilitate traffic across BC. They then suggest this would be some good ideas for others to use build a charging network.

They even warn with the following:
Please note that these locations are provided for illustrative purposes, based on the mapping tool only, and are provided to give a general sense of the number and high-level distribution of DCFC sites across B.C. needed to provide a base level of geographic connectivity for EV drivers. These should not be viewed as specific sites.

It is not an "initia planned deployment".

If you are going to google for stuff to support your narrative, at least take the time to read it.l

FISHEV | 2020年4月4日

@jallred "They aren't planning it, they are doing a study to see where someone (other than them) would have to put chargers to facilitate traffic across BC."

Kind of defines planning doesn't it.

jallred | 2020年4月4日

Some plan with the intent of doing something.
Others plan because someone pays them money to do it.

You could say these guys were planning it, but they aren't planning it anymore. Study over.

Bighorn | 2020年4月4日

@jallred
Have you not noticed, none of his responses make any sense?

jallred | 2020年4月4日

I've noticed.

Some times he states his narrative and when a fact is expressed that counters the initial assumptions of the narrative, he simply ignores it and restates the initial narrative statement.

But sometimes he actually feels to compel to defend his narrative from the facts given by countering, but it never has substance.

I guess I'm curious about what compels him to occasionally put up a defense. Why doesn't he always just repeat the basic narrative, ignoring the rebuttal fact?

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月4日

He does it for the same reason you do it, personal entertainment.

Tesla2018 | 2020年4月4日

Fish needs a supercharger to go from Alaska across the Bering Sea to Russia so he can collect his spamming royalties so he can pay for his Mustang!

jallred | 2020年4月4日

In fact, when facts oppose his narrative and he has no defense against those facts, he typically turns to another subject. Then he waits until someone new mentions something related to the narrative and restarts his narrative again.

The constant restarting of a narrative after abandoning it due to lack of defense is the most annoying characteristic of the fish. I'm at times entertained by the process, but I see why others skip the factual argument and go with the statement of him being evil.

Jack is the worst kind of bully. He entices people to be his "friend" before he plays wordmanship games on them. He plans his actions and carries them out. Others who respond harshly to them are reactive and therefore not bullying.

jallred | 2020年4月4日

He does it for the same reason you do it, personal entertainment. -m8b

But he also finds joy in tearing down the defenseless.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年4月4日

FISHEVs AGENDA is EVIL he is here to yank chains and hate on Tesla and fans of Tesla.

coleAK | 2020年4月4日

Ok like I said on another thread I’m self fingering and not reading the Fish posts. @Jallred and Bighorn good insight on his posting inconsistencies. Something I find funny is lately Fish is claiming to be a healthcare professional in the heat of responding to COVID-19 patients, yet finds time to pretty much post non stop all day every day.

Bighorn | 2020年4月4日

He must be going through a lot of gloves with all the posting.

SamO | 2020年4月4日

I enjoyed destroying Fishy when he was EaglesPDX and would come to crap on the Model 3 and pump the Bolt.

I used to call him the astroturfer since why else would you post non-stop about the Bolt, benefits of dealership and the lack of a hatch definitely dissuading your purchase.

Now he's gung ho over the (imaginary) charging networks that take you where a Tesla can't dare to follow.

Rinse, repeat.

coleAK | 2020年4月4日

Back to the Alcan. As an FYI, The vast majority of non commercial people who drive the alcan are tourists these days. Military PCS’ing are the majority of non-tourist non-commercial. I’ve never driven it from AK through Canada back to the US. Farthest I’ve driven is to whistler and back to AK. It’s amazing, varying degree of road quality, and remote, very emote.

SamO | 2020年4月4日

@coleAK,

I'll drive the family there for sure as soon as it opens.

jallred | 2020年4月4日

FISHEV | April 1, 2020
gmr6415 | April 1, 2020 No change here. I eventually landed on 85% down to around 30%."

I keep mine at 85-65% which is best for long battery life, the least amount of charge/discharge is what preserves battery life. With no driving around except my weekly supply run which I make at different super markets 30 miles away so I can go for a ride. I pick markets that have charging. EVgo has a discount for medical professionals during the Covid-19 pandemic and the 50kWh/200 mph is fine for the small grocery runs.

Flag as Inappropriate
jallred | April 1, 2020
With no driving around except my weekly supply run -jack

I thought you were some medical superstar at some important clinic that was getting supplies air dropped in from China? How can Salem survive without you on the job?

FISHEV | April 1, 2020
jallred | April 1, 2020 "I thought you were some medical superstar at some important clinic that was getting supplies air dropped in from China?"

More a Rosie the Riveter.

https://multco.us/public-health-preparedness/medical-reserve-corps

Pages