Forums

Did anyone notice the description change for the model 3?

Did anyone notice the description change for the model 3?

On the model 3 Description, it has changed from "5 Star Safety rating" to "Designed for Safety", "Autopilot Safety Features" to "Autopilot Hardware", and "Supercharging Long Distance Travel" to "Supercharging Capable".

There is an article on Seeking Alpha that points it out, but I couldn't add the link.

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月8日

Well you can't actually have a 5 star safety ratting before you build and crash test the car. :)

Supraman | 2016年4月8日

I'm not surprised at the other two changes, but I am surprised at the change from "Autopilot Safety Features" to "Autopilot Hardware".

Elon explicitly said that the safety features would be included. I guess this change doesn't mean that they're not, but why change it?

Captain_Zap | 2016年4月8日

Maybe everyone has a different idea as to which autopilot features are safety oriented.

stevenmaifert | 2016年4月8日

Aside from the as yet to be determined safety rating, my hunch on the other two is the hardware will be included but the activation of the feature(s) will be an extra cost option. Hence, the change in wording. We've seen this movie before.

Supraman | 2016年4月8日

I know very little about the existing autopilot option on the S/X. Do these cars come with the hardware as standard? If so, are some features free and others optional?

1089 | 2016年4月8日

@supraman--Yes to both questions. The safety features (Automatic emergency braking, collision warning, blind spot warning, and parking sensors) are free while the convenience features are a package for $2500.00. The convenience features are TACC, Autosteer, Auto headlight dimming, Summons, parking assist, and automatic lane change.

carlk | 2016年4月8日

Autopilot safety features are always included when the car has the hardware. The change of wording is just to make it clear that there will be AP hardware in every car.

Ross1 | 2016年4月8日

Did the same text say the price is $35k, indicating it is the entry level?
It is important people don't think the $35k model is all inclusive.
And I guess this is the car that rental fleets will buy. Why would they need all the cowbells?

Captain_Zap | 2016年4月8日

I think Elon just redefined "cowbell".

Red Sage ca us | 2016年4月8日

Yadda, yadda, yadda... [SINKING ANCHOR] be [DURNED].

akgolf | 2016年4月8日

And it changed again. No longer supercharging capable and a reference to 5-star rating is back.

Designed to achieve
5-Star Safety Rating

Supercharging

eandmjep | 2016年4月9日

I think they changed the Autopilot reference because news and you tubers are all assuming that the full autopilot package will be included. He never said that during the release, only that the safety aspects will. It will be an option. One i'm not sure I want but could get later.

wj, I agree totally its like they look for anything to harp on. Media, cant live without them. dammit!!!

eandmjep | 2016年4月9日

The safety description has changed again to "Designed to achieve 5 star safety rating" Good way to put it. I'm sure it will cause a media frenzy. "They changed it again!" ;)

biggestfan | 2016年4月9日

I saw the changes too. Mostly because I can see pictures of the Model 3 out there.

I can't believe I still have so long to wait. I am excited that Tesla will have something that will be a compelling electric car at the price range they are putting the Model 3 at.

It would be great if Tesla added a little picture of the Model 3 to my Tesla page. Maybe let me swap the color of the picture to give me something to do while I wait.

Tesla rocks!

Redmiata98 | 2016年4月9日

We wont know until they start rolling off the assembly line in quantity. Allow for startup variations to include initial customer feedback too. We still have more than 20 months to go!

PhillyGal | 2016年4月9日

They just like to send the world into a tizzy. No such thing as bad press and what not.

biggestfan | 2016年4月9日

I bet some kind of cameleon paint would look sick on the Model 3.

sagebrushnw | 2016年4月9日

Tesla does seem to be walking back some language around the Model 3’s features: Safety, Autopilot and Supercharger.

Article to read:

http://electrek.co/2016/04/08/tesla-model-3-features-safety-autopilot-su...

dsvick | 2016年4月9日

I'm not terribly surprised, from everything I read, and from hearing him speak, Elon does not use, or only loosely uses, a script when he speaks. I'm sure what we're seeing now are the lawyers and marketing teams fighting it out and trying to clarify what was said.

They also need to reconcile what people desire with what Tesla would like/be able to deliver at the price point with what the engineers say can be done.

Chunky Jr. | 2016年4月9日

I'm not sure how frequently the wording is changing, but they could be experimenting with language and see if it has any impact on reservation click throughs.

Tropopause | 2016年4月9日

"Supercharging commence!"

KP in NPT | 2016年4月10日

The wording changed again. lol

yongliangzhu68 | 2016年4月10日

Wish Tesla would speed some of that IT time adding feature to this forum. :D

Remnant | 2016年4月10日

@ Supraman (April 8, 2016)

<< ... are some features free and others optional? >>

Only the hardware is certain, the programmable features are virtual, i.e., selectable from a menu, or offered as design packages.

The point rating is conferred by NHTSA after its own testing or verification of tests by the manufacturer. The latter can only state that similar hardware and features earned specific point ratings on other cars they made in the past.

Remnant | 2016年4月10日

@ wj (April 10, 2016)

<< Wish Tesla would speed some of that IT time adding feature to this forum. >>

If all messages were assigned searchable count numbers and reply links, we could communicate much better.