Forums

Unexpected rapid acceleration problem?

Unexpected rapid acceleration problem?

Has anyone experienced unexpected rapid acceleration while driving a Model S?

I was pulling into a parking space. Per engineering data recorded by Tesla, I was driving under 5 miles an hour and depressed the brake as I turned into a parking space. At nearly the same moment, the accelerator pedal went to 100% and I crashed into the car in the facing parking space. Airbags deployed and damage was done. Either my foot slipped off the brake and pushed the accelerator to 100%, which seems so strange, or something else was going on. This has been so disconcerting for me as I have not been in accidents in the past and am not reckless.

If there is something else to this, besides me braking and within a second slamming the accelerator to 100%, then it would important to know and to fix.

Also, given the sensors, it seems the Tesla should be able to stop this type of crash from happening. Since the car can "see" an obstacle, why would it allow the car going so slowly to rapidly accelerate into another car?

lilbean | 2018年4月8日

Why would you want your EV to act like an ICE? No thanks!

neukwen | 2018年4月8日

I love driving manual transmission. You have a foot on the clutch in slow moving situations. And if you have a reflex reaction to hit the accelerator and release the clutch, you usually would just stall it. No danger.

rednairb | 2018年4月8日

ummm, ok. I really don't see too much difference between a manual, and how non-creep mode works in the the Tesla, except the obvious two foot maneuver in the manual, because of the clutch. You step on the brake to put the car in "hold" and it doesn't move until you press the accelerator. I don't understand how that is a dangerous situation. If you are saying you are unable to control how hard you are pressing down on the accelerator, then that is a different story, and perhaps you should not be driving any vehicle, if that is the case. For me, that is one of my favorite features of the car. The good thing is, if people think they can not master that function, they can put it in ICE car mode, or just save a bunch of money, and get a Prius!

inconel | 2018年4月8日

On the contrary I think creep mode is likely the reason for the confusion of pedals and unintended acceleration.

GHammer | 2018年4月9日

+1 Inconel

Silver2K | 2018年4月9日

but if the car was not moving at a speed the driver is used to when parking, he or she would accelerate and can accelerate too quickly if the person is not used to the sensitivity of the accelerator.

that's why creep mode is good for some

neukwen | 2018年4月9日

Three recent posts on this thread indicate an unintended acceleration in their Tesla when parking: @sherbear, @avesraggiana, and @ytwen. I would be interested in hearing from these three if they have creep on or off.

avesraggiana | 2018年4月9日

@neukwen. CREEP was NOT activated. It will be when my parents get the car back.

Bighorn | 2018年4月10日

Not sure I agree about introducing creep, a novel behavior.. I could see it provoking a pedal stab when the car starts moving on its own after having grown accustomed to it not.

neukwen | 2018年4月10日

Thanks for the info @avesraggiana.

The reported unintended acceleration incidents on Teslas I read about over the last couple of years have tended to be in parking situations. If something happens to cause a reflex reaction (i.e. startled by a noise, suddenly noticing something in the way, or just a senior moment), having a foot on the accelerator (creep off) could be catastrophic. Having the foot over the brake (creep on) would just cause a sudden stop.

However I don't disagree that having creep off can be more pleasurable in other driving situations, or that turning creep back on for those who have become accustomed to living without it may require some short term readjustment (as suggested by Bighorn).

eddyline | 2018年4月10日

One thing we don’t do a lot of in this country is practice emergency driving conditions. Sports psychologists have proven that any individual will perform the activities that they’ve trained, and if that doesn’t include emergency braking and avoidance techniques, they won’t be as accurate in their reaction responses—especially when they’re complacent in that situation.

Practicing is tough on brakes and tires, though...and not best performed on public streets...

cappuccinoholic | 2018年8月17日

To wildflower341 - I believe you. I just had the same accident yesterday in my beautiful new 75D, but I jumped a curb and hit the corner of an immovable building. Very sore, a broken bone in hand, but saved from worse by airbags. I couldn't have been going more than 2-3mph, slowing and ready to stop in parking spot. I am POSITIVE my foot hit the BRAKE. And I have the same question...how could it ignore objects in front of the car?!

GHammer | 2018年8月17日

@cappuccinoholic-Sounds like you need to lay off the caffeine, deny it all you want but you most certainly did hit the accelerator.

ST70 | 2018年8月17日

@cappuccinoholic- maybe you're another type of "holic"?

sylviaash32 | 2018年12月22日

My husband has had two incidents in the last 3 months of rapid, unexpected acceleration with his 2017 Tesla S car. The first time he was pulling slowly into a parking place and the car suddenly accelerated to 100% and luckily there was a post at the end of the parking spot instead of another car. It caused $18,000 worth of damage to the car and a couple of painful cracked ribs for him. He was wearing a seatbelt which didn't prevent him from hitting the steering wheel. The second incident happened when he was slowly backing out of the garage and the car suddenly accelerated and barreled across the street and knocked down a neighbor's tree before coming to a stop. It is now in the body shop and they estimate something like $17,000 in damage to the car. I am advocating getting a gas powered car when he gets it back. I'm now afraid to drive in it. Next time it could kill a person ...or him.

Bill_75D | 2018年12月22日

Twice? Sounds like pedal confusion. How old is your husband?

Bighorn | 2018年12月22日

@sylvia
He needs to use Chill mode as well as the Obstacle-Aware acceleration mode. It's for exactly those folks with poor muscle control.

ST70 | 2018年12月22日

@sylviaash32- You're messing with us right?

SO | 2018年12月22日

Definitely pedal confusion. Every time this is brought up by someone in the news for any car (and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME), it has been driver error.

As others have stated, use Chill mode.

Anthony J. Parisio | 2018年12月23日

Yeah, peddle confusion.

SO | 2018年12月23日

Also try creep mode. Then you won’t need to step on the pedal to move... only to brake.

lilbean | 2018年12月23日

Pedal confusion.

Bighorn | 2018年12月23日

Petal confusion

lilbean | 2018年12月23日

Haha!
Peddle to the medal confusion.

Xerogas | 2018年12月23日

@sylviaash32: "I am advocating getting a gas powered car when he gets it back."
------
How, exactly, is a gas-powered car going to solve this?

And are you prepared for your husband to suffer the side-effects of noxious fumes in your garage?

finished | 2018年12月24日

I, too, experienced unexpected rapid acceleration the first time I drove my MS. Been grinnin' ever since.

lilbean | 2018年12月24日

@finished +1!

Yodrak. | 2018年12月24日

"the car suddenly accelerated to 100%"

Are you sure is wasn't 110% given the seriousness of the damage and injuries?

Bighorn | 2018年12月24日

100% sounds so believable to anybody but a Tesla owner. Hope there’s at least one on the jury.

SbMD | 2018年12月24日

Agree... pedal confusion. More common in older drivers. A very well documented phenomenon in gas cars, by the way. So, buying the gas car will not change the risk.

TranzNDance | 2018年12月24日

I just read about a Toyota Corolla whose elderly driver drove it into a church. It's not even known for its power.

valrud | 2018年12月24日

In spring of 2017, sudden acceleration happened to me while I was about to make a right turn. Luckily for me, I had enough time and space to press the brake pedal to avoid a collision.

I was not so lucky in June of 2017 when it happened to me again while I was about half way into a parking spot. The car jumped forward, and the damage was extensive.

In December of 2017, about four months after the car was repaired, I left my car in the San Diego Tesla shop for the annual service. A day after that, I received a call from Tesla, stating that their technician by accident ran the car into some obstacle. As a result, the front bumper of the car had to be replaced. Tesla did the repair in a matter of a few days.

PBEndo | 2018年12月24日

It is telling that the sudden acceleration incidents always seem to happen at times when the driver is expecting to apply the brakes. i.e. typically when parking.

radio | 2018年12月25日

I do believe both the OP, avesraggiana, cappuccinoholic et al., as well as everybody else stating that it was a confusion with applying brake/ accelerator pedal.
It probably happens all the time to all cars, but usually never makes it to the news with ICE cars, as the engine stalls before any major damage is done. These ICE engines have such a measly power level available while parking at near idle revs. Remember even Formula1 cars having stall problems even when getting off the grid line, if they didn´t rev up sufficiently?
We have a full 500 hp+ available even when moving with 1 mph and brushing the wrong pedal for a fraction of a second, -which leads to a very different result than just having a scratched bumper.

Silver2K | 2018年12月26日

I too experienced un-intended acceleration. I resolved the issue by asking Pam to stop.

gridley1950 | 2018年12月27日

I had just the opposite pedal confusion. My first, and only, time at the 1/8 mile track in my P85D. I had my foot on the brake while the Christmas tree went down. On my launch, I got the error spanking because I hadn't got my foot off the brake fast enough! Subsequent runs I locked the brake on and moved my foot far away. Never did an actual "launch" but it was fast enough to make me grin!

wstarosta | 2019年4月3日

My wife was in our 2014S last week, in a grade school parking lot. She was placing the car into park, when it took off at high acceleration, jumped the edge of the lot, and hit a utility pole. I don’t know if the cause was mechanical or human, but I fear to get back into the repaired car. The cop at the scene pulled out photos of a Tesla with a basically identical story from the previous week. Not arguing, just reporting.

wstarosta | 2019年4月3日

My wife was in our 2014S last week, in a grade school parking lot. She was placing the car into park, when it took off at high acceleration, jumped the edge of the lot, and hit a utility pole. I don’t know if the cause was mechanical or human, but I fear to get back into the repaired car. The cop at the scene pulled out photos of a Tesla with a basically identical story from the previous week. Not arguing, just reporting.

wstarosta | 2019年4月3日

Bighorn | 2019年4月3日

@wstarosta
Absolutely human error unless one is inclined to believe flat earth theories and faked moon landings.

Jason will be happy to provide evidence if you’re of the fantasy thinking ilk:
https://teslaweekly.com/why-drivers-are-to-blame-for-all-sudden-unintend...

wstarosta | 2019年4月3日

Thank you for your aspersions. Name calling is so much more vital than substantive analysis.

Bighorn | 2019年4月3日

@wstarosta
It's only name calling if you fall into delusional thinking--if the shoe fits. Jason Hughes' is the most substantive analysis you're going to find. Get over your fragile ego.

sabuson | 2019年4月3日

As has probably been mentioned several times, use "creep mode" on if you mix driving Tesla and ICE cars. Been there, done that in reverse into my lawn:-) . creep on ever since. Love my 2017 MS (just finished three 1000 mile trips on NOAP), and it's been repaired for an "intentional sudden acceleration" on my part while driving manually:-( Took nearly 6 months to repair, but has driven beautifully since then. My biggest worry would be if there's any damage to the battery module, but they probably won't repair if so. Isn't "creep mode on" default nowadays? If not, it should be.

Bighorn | 2019年4月3日

@sabuson
I don’t think Creep mode is toggled on by default, but it is tied to the profile. I have it programmed on for my wife and daughter.

Bighorn | 2019年4月3日

You have to change profiles before engaging Drive/Reverse because Creep can only change off/on status while in Park.

TranzNDance | 2019年4月3日

I don't understand how creep on is a solution since people running into store fronts had happened in cars with creep.

Bighorn | 2019年4月3日

@Tranz
I think it is so people can slowly advance without having to modulate the accelerator and they can have their foot hovering over the brake, hopefully:)

TranzNDance | 2019年4月3日

That's supposed to happen, but then people apply pressure on the wrong pedal while relying on creep. With creep off, the car doesn't move until the accelerator pedal is pressed. If someone presses the wrong pedal, it would be the brake pedal. Pushing the brake pedal could release brake hold, but it doesn't accelerate enough to cause damage.

Nexxus | 2019年4月10日

@Tranz,
It's when people think they've put it in park and open the door to get out and the cars moves forward from "Creep Mode" letting them know they're not in park. Now, on the other hand, if they panic from this and stomp on the accelerator and not the brake, they have a potential problem. This more than likely is what has been happening.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月10日

@Nexxus - Can't happen. Opening the door automatically puts it in park. Cool feature not in any ICE car.

Pages