Forums

My BMW lease is up this January, advice?

My BMW lease is up this January, advice?

Here's the situation. My two year lease for my BMW i3 is up this January. I preordered the Model 3 and I predict I'm around #80,000 in line. What should I do come January? I don't necessarily want to sign another lease since it's such a mystery when the Model 3 will get to me. Part of me is thinking about buying a beater and just selling it when my Model 3 gets here. Any advice? Thanks!

leskchan | 2016年8月22日

Buy a used 2012-2013 Nissan Leaf 84-mile range to get you through to your Model 3 delivery. It is selling about $7K-$9K.

PaceyWhitter | 2016年8月22日

Buy the i3. Sell it when your M3 is ready.

ccsccs7 | 2016年8月22日

@PaceyWhitter: #WaitOrDrive XD

georgehawley.fl.us | 2016年8月22日

Or lease a Model S for a couple of years. You will have fun driving the safest car in the world while you wait.

mako7c4 | 2016年8月22日

2010 honda civic , cheap to own and it will make the model 3 that much nicer!

Red Sage ca us | 2016年8月22日

El Camino.

bernard.holbrook | 2016年8月22日

BMW 3 series is nice. 330 hp, AWD, 6 speed. I've been considering one.

dimitri.anast | 2016年8月23日

I think I should buy something outright, that way I'll have the flexibility of selling it whenever. Leasing a Model S seems expensive and I'd rather have the Model 3 be my first Tesla.

KP in NPT | 2016年8月23日

I tend to agree to buy - but I would pick something gently used with good resale value, since a new car depreciates so much as soon as you drive it off the lot, and you will have it for less than 3 years. (Hopefully.) If you want to stick with electric and can deal with the limited range, I would do a leaf, or a prius for hybrid.

I recently had a scare with my 2007 Lexus - a repair I thought would be more than it was worth to fix. (luckily I have a car guy in the family that fixed it for significantly less than I was quoted) - so was considering what to buy until my Model 3 arrives. Since my commute wouldn't allow a leaf, I would have probably gone for a used Prius.

bluemodels | 2016年8月23日

buy the i3 off lease and sell it when your M3 comes in

@kerrb2 my worry is that the i3 won't be worth much by the time the Model 3 is released. Why would anyone want an uglier car than can go less distance when given the option of a Model 3?

@mp1156 Three years? I'm thinking I'll have it for about 18 months. My lease is up Q1 of 2017 and my Model 3 should be ready Q1 or Q2 of 2018 hopefully.

PhillyGal | 2016年8月23日

Yes, you're right. Buy something gently used that holds value well so you'll have a trade-in for the 3.

Forget electric for now and if it were me, I'd even skip luxury of any kind due to residuals. Subaru, Toyota, something like that.

@PhillyGal I couldn't agree more. Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

greatseth | 2016年8月23日

At the end of the lease, you don't have to return the car.
Just continue leasing until your model 3 arrives.

dimitri.anast | 2016年8月24日

@greatseth if I continue to lease through the dealership, it has to be a certain amount of time (2 year, 3 year etc) that I'm stuck with the car. I can't just lease month to month until the Model 3 arrives. Am I mistaken?

andy.connor.e | 2016年8月24日

If you are >300,000 in line, i would renew the lease. Generally Tesla is always delayed when it comes to release dates, not to mention there is the potential that they cannot output 500,000 cars per year, you will be waiting EVEN longer than that.

My prediction is if you are more than 300,000 in line, expect to get your Tesla 1 year after its official production release.

KP in NPT | 2016年8月24日

@dimitri, I meant that buying a new car and selling it if you've had it for less than 3 years would not be good - meaning yes, you will have your Model 3 in less than 3 years so I would not buy new. :) Sorry that wasn't articulated better.