Forums

"Free" Lifetime Supercharging Gone, Price of Model S the Same

"Free" Lifetime Supercharging Gone, Price of Model S the Same

Yesterday (1/15/17) I configured a Model S90D to a total of $109,750 and again today with the same setup and the price remained the same. Supercharging in the Standard Feature section changed to a yearly 400kWh Access to Supercharger credit.

I did not see an option to select lifetime unlimited access to a Supercharger. If I'm wrong please let me know.

FYI

Bighorn | 2017年1月16日

400kWh not dollar.

Spotsygamer | 2017年1月16日

It's no longer free for unlimited use....had to order by 1/15/17 for that. There is currently no option to upgrade to unlimited super charger use.

lilbean | 2017年1月16日

1,000 miles free per year sounds generous to me.

tes-s | 2017年1月16日

There is no price increase or decrease. Tesla always estimated about 10% supercharging and 12,000 miles per year. 400kWh should be about that.

Babaron | 2017年1月16日

I thought long and hard about ordering a new one before the deadline (and actually did order then cancel one) but in the end it just did not make financial sense for me to upgrade now when I love my current late 2014 MS w/ AP1 so much. "All in good time, my dear, all in good time."

Bluesday Afternoon | 2017年1月16日

Correction made to 400 kWh. Thanks

dlake | 2017年1月16日

Isn't the 400kWh kinda like an ICE dealer giving you 2 or 3 tanks of free gas?

Bighorn | 2017年1月16日

@dlake
Yes, but what dealer does that every year?

akikiki | 2017年1月16日

Ta-daaaaa.

mscott | 2017年1月16日

Given that the price of "free for life" Supercharging has been baked into the price up to now, this does seem like a roughly $1,900 price increase. (Assuming 400KWh is going to cost roughly $50, but less than $100 pretty much everywhere.) I guess if you keep the car for 20 years, you might come close to getting $2K of "free" charging.

TaoJones | 2017年1月16日

30,000 miles/yr.
2 miles/kW in practical, actual use.
15,000 kW @ $0.20/kW for the non-garaged.
$3,000/yr or $250/mo.

Versus driving a Honda Accord @ 30mpg
30,000 miles/yr so 1000 gallons @ $2.50/gal
$2,500/yr in gas.

That's not compelling after eating $35,000/year in depreciation, acquisition costs and maintenance.

400 kW/year, eh? Don't spend it all in one place.

TaoJones | 2017年1月16日

I shouldn't attempt math after a 14-hour day but unless I'm missing something, an entire group of Tesla owners now have exactly zero financially-defensible reason to ever order a new Model S.

And every reason to own a Model 3. But there were already many reasons to own a Model 3. Bleh.

Salute | 2017年1月16日

TaoJones, your numbers are way off. You claim you are using 500 watts per mile which takes extreme hard hard driving, but you say you get 30 mpg in a Honda which takes casual driving. You are fudging your numbers. You wanted to post a negative comment so you worked hard to find a scenario that accomplished that. No one is buying your position. And before you try to justify your KW usage, I just finished a long road trip going 75 mph in -6 degree weather and my usage was 411 watts per mile with an elevation climb.

martin | 2017年1月16日

TaoJones is indeed way off but math seems to be a weak point here.
Let me post my numbers again here:
Average wattage for ~30.000 km was 0.2 kWh/km
Which amounts to:

20 kWh per 100 km ( €3.60 per 100 km)

My Diesel ICE comes to

6.0 liters per 100 km (€ 6.70 per 100 km)

so the Tesla still has a huge advantage over the ICE looking at energy costs alone.
BUT there is more to it:
ICE cars cost a yearly road tax.
EV are exempt.

ICE cars run far higher maintenance costs than the EV.

martin | 2017年1月16日

I forgot, those are the numbers from Germany!

mjt.private | 2017年1月17日

I don't see Tao's numbers are so far off for non-garaged. The point is that the cost for supercharging is not less than half of the petrol prices quoted (incl Martin's). Mathematically speaking, less than half would be an' order of magnitude difference' - this isn't, SCs costs are the same order of magnitude as petrol, with all it's estra tax.

The reality, as we all knew, was that the SC cost wasn't properly baked in at all. TM didn't do the Maths right on the SC usage, and the the Model S proved a much better long-distance car than anyone expected. Throw in the 'abuse' by taxi firms and the need to massively grow the network far beyond what I believe they had expected, and they now recognise they need serious pricing....

tstolz | 2017年1月17日

Not only that, but why on earth would anyone rely on Superchargers for 100% of driving when L1 or L2 is more convenient and 1/2 the cost?

tes-s | 2017年1月17日

@msscott - no price increase. 400kWh per year was baked into the price, which is what Tesla has always estimated as the average annual usage.

Silver2K | 2017年1月17日

the 400 kWh is kinda silly. it adds up to $48 in Upstate NY :)

redacted | 2017年1月17日

@TaoJones, the value of loss of supercharging would be swamped by the depreciation that upgrading would entail. One upgrades simply because one wants a newer car, not because it's financially justified.

Buying MS is the same thing, one buys it because one wants it, precious. Not because it makes financial sense.

mscott | 2017年1月17日

@tes, I suppose from Tesla POV, this is true. From the POV of someone who does 10K miles of road trips a year, it's hard to argue this isn't effectively a price increase. But I got mine, so I'm not bent outta shape over it. ;-)

Actually, I'm really glad Tesla did this. Although the SC hogs have never impacted me, I was more concerned about what the previous policies would mean for our Model 3. I didn't want to pay $2K to enable SC (based on early S60 policy), but I also didn't want to have no access to SCs, either. 400KWh/year will be perfect for our Model 3. Of course, I suppose Tesla could still charge a $2K upgrade to enable SC and only give 400KWh/year, which would kinda suck.

tes-s | 2017年1月17日

It is like a restaurant switching from all-you-can-eat to the same price for two full plates, then extra after that.

For most customers, there is no price increase. Yes, for some there will be.

carlk | 2017年1月17日

Yes it's a price increase which pretty much every car on the market regularly has.

carlk | 2017年1月17日

And@TaoJones' comment is way off base too. People who could afford to buy a $100K car rarely buy the C class or 3 series. They just don't. It will be no different for Tesla too. Elon is no fool he will make sure there is enough distinction between S/X and 3 just like Merc and BMW know how to make S Class and 7 series attractive for $100K car buyers.

carlk | 2017年1月17日

@tes-s @Silver

You are both right. It's only $48 but it does give average users the idea that they did no lose anything.

Haggy | 2017年1月17日

"Isn't the 400kWh kinda like an ICE dealer giving you 2 or 3 tanks of free gas?"

No, it would be more like an ICE dealer saying that if you start all your road trips with a full tank of gas, and that whenever possible you stay at destinations such as hotels that give customers free gasoline, the ICE dealer will give you free gasoline on road trips provided that you don't exceed what the average driver uses per year based on their prior experience.

If you had a 200kWh battery, then 400kWh might be two "tanks" of electricity. The 1000 mile figure that Tesla gave is conservative, compared to the Wh/mi that most of us see.

rxlawdude | 2017年1月17日

It appears that any car that goes through Tesla's CPO program will NOT have lifetime supercharging included.

Evidence? No mention of supercharging on any 85 CPOs.

Haggy | 2017年1月17日

That goes against what Tesla has already said. I don't see any mention of supercharging on CPOs, meaning no mention of unlimited or of annual allowance. I can't see them taking away both. It would steer people toward private purchases of used cars, and drive up resale value for private sales.

rxlawdude | 2017年1月17日

@Haggy, I seem to recall that Lifetime Supercharging was a feature listed for all CPOs (other than old 60s or 40s).

You would think that if they included that on these resales, it would indeed be a "feature" that might add some value to the car.

Pungoteague_Dave | 2017年1月17日

Tesla recently stated that charging goes with the car CPOs retain the "feature." Does no one read?

https://electrek.co/2017/01/09/tesla-certified-pre-owned-unlimited-free-...

burdogg | 2017年1月17日

PD - why would we read - have we not already found that out on the forum? Reading is so last century, we only can focus on little tweets - articles - are you kidding, that takes way too much time :)

Haggy | 2017年1月17日

"Does no one read?"

If I said that no one reads, it would come across as disingenuous to anybody who read it.

rxlawdude | 2017年1月17日

Quoting a news article is not dispositive.

Listings for CPO REMOVED SUPERCHARGING.

Caveat emptor.

burdogg | 2017年1月17日

Nice Haggy :)

rxlawdude | 2017年1月17日

Why would Tesla not mention it in CPO listings? Seems that would be a huge selling point.
More to the point, why did they delist that feature on CPOs?

RanjitC | 2017年1月17日

Because they want to reduce SC hogs.