Forums

AWD

AWD

This has probably been covered but since searching isn't so obvious on these forums here goes. The duel motor option will make the Model 3 an AWD vehicle so I'm assuming that with proper tires it would be allowed to proceed without chains in such areas as would be required otherwise. Is there or will there be any indication on the exterior of the car that would be a clear AWD marking? If not, how would the chain control monitor know the car has such a feature or do they just automatically know a "D" on the model is that indication and let you proceed?

bmalloy0 | 2017年2月5日

Not living near an area like that, I wouldn't know proper procedure, but ideally any enforcement people would know that if the "trim" (battery) emblems on the back would have a D for dual motor/AWD. Dual motor S/X don't have any other indicators, so I'd say it's unlikely that the 3 will anything else.

Efontana | 2017年2月5日

The only place I have ever seen that chain check is right between Freemont and Reno. Those people will know, if that is the spot you are concerned about.

jefjes | 2017年2月5日

@Efontana- That was one of the areas but there are several going in all directions and in different locations nation wide. Figured that current MS/X owners that ski would be able to share their experience on the subject.

EaglesPDX | 2017年2月5日

They only check if you get stuck. If you have traction tires (winter rated) and AWD and get stuck you will not be fined. That's OR.

I have been stopped by the Sheriff going up Little Cottonwood Canyon in SLC and they were checking for AWD and winter tires but you'd be fine there also. They are not that strict as we went did a rolling stop in a beat up Fiat while my buddy shouted "ALL SEASONS" out the window. If we stopped we never would have gotten moving again. Made it to Alta, had to push the car out of the lot at the end of the day.

jefjes | 2017年2月5日

@EaglesPDX- They may not be too strict in some places but I've seen times when anything that doesn't appear to be a AWD or 4x4 gets stopped without chains. I looked up the chain requirements and found out there are 3 levels of chain control requirements in CA. The strictest requires chains on even 4x4s but is hardly ever enforced. The lightest is a requirement for 2 wheel drives to have chains with them in case they are needed. The middle ground is AWD or 4x4s with at least M&S rated tires that are clearly marked. I can imagine a regular looking sedan that isn't clearly marked or known to be an AWD car could be a subject of scrutiny during controlled times. Since Teslas are still fairly rare, it would probably be easy enough to just tell them it's an AWD and whether or not it was they wouldn't know so would let you proceed at your own risk anyway. Personally I'd rather either have the chains/cables, AWD/4x4, or just turn around rather than cause an accident or be stuck for hours in a snow bank.

DTsea | 2017年2月6日

In WA AWD cars must have chains in the car when chain control is active but are not required to mount them. Sort of a just in case thing.

Frank99 | 2017年2月6日

I'd imagine that any troopers doing chain checks would know about Teslas, if only because they'd only make the mistake once. The likelihood that you're the troopers first Tesla is pretty small these days - but pretty high only a couple of years ago.

Quinten | 2017年2月17日

Hey since it is on the related AWD topic. I was not sure to get this or not. It all comes down to how efficient on the mileage and wear and tear on the tires. From reading Tesla website here it said it was less efficient then one drive motor unit but the two motors was designed to be very efficient and smaller so I am confused. But comparing the mileages AWD does get less miles. What about how fast tires get wear down if say drive by the same driver on a AWD vs FWD? Thanks.

mntlvr23 | 2017年2月17日

@Quinten -
From the website, the dual motors seem to get around 3% more range than the RWD, so AWD should actually be more efficient. I dont think that there would be any significant difference in tire wear between the two, but that is just my gut feeling.

cephellow | 2017年2月17日

On the model S, the dual motor cars get pretty even treadwear all around compared to rwd. I've gone through 3 sets of tires on my P85DL, and the wear is remarkably even.

djharrington | 2017年2月18日

If you did get pulled over and the officer didn't believe that the car was AWD, it wouldn't be hard to prove by turning on slip start. Also, both states I've lived in stated wheels driven on the registration.

djharrington | 2017年2月18日

Or he could look for half-shafts.