Forums

Why is not the progress process informed?

Why is not the progress process informed?

I was also among the first to be convinced by Tesla III. But since the great presentation, nothing has been learned about the development. And will the trump administration for buyers in Europe change something?

m.koch | 2017年2月17日

PS.: I am from Austria!

KP in NPT | 2017年2月17日

m.koch - we have been following closely, obviously, and no one really knows anything other than a few tidbits re: battery size (won't be 100) and that pencils down was supposedly last summer. As far was we know, production is still on time to start in the second half of the year. Rumored to be starting pilot production next week. We are hoping for some news on the Feb 22 earnings call.

Everyone here is waiting for the next step - the unveiling of the final design. And even then, we're not sure we'll have all information (like detailed options, etc.) - or when the design studio will open. But one step at a time.

KP in NPT | 2017年2月17日

Remember - what was revealed last year was a prototype - and the car was still being worked on at that time. No one ever expected (or should have expected) the final design to be unveiled before spring. And Elon said as much, vaguely, back in December - that it was "maybe 3 or 4 months" away.

I don't think anyone expects Trump's wrecking ball to impact Tesla sales in Europe.

Frank99 | 2017年2月17日

Much like Apple and other tech firms, the "big reveal" is something that Tesla feels is important. As a result, they don't release much information until they are ready to. There's a lot of hope that there will be another major reveal in the next month or so that shows us the final design of the car, and perhaps some information on options and cost.

Mr. Trump threatens to change a lot of how "business is done", but I haven't heard anything so far that would impact Tesla's plans in America or the rest of the world, unless he manages to start a trade war over import tariffs. In that case, you might be looking at a higher price due to retaliatory tariffs put in place by your country.

Frank99 | 2017年2月17日

Ninja'ed by KP...again!

KP in NPT | 2017年2月17日

LOL!

And Frank, re: trade war - I admit I'm no expert, but I believe Trump can do none of the BS he panders to his base regarding trade wars without agreement from congress. I am cautiously optimistic they aren't that stupid.

tnkplatoon18 | 2017年2月17日

I agree. If the prototype enticed you to place an reservation over a year away from actual build time and delivery schedules, then I shutter to think what the final product is going to look like - amazing! With that being said, I feel anxious just like all the other 300,000+ reservation holders. I have search the net for any news possible even calling Tesla directly. My only concern is "UAW" and how if any impact will it have on the final cost of not only the Model 3 but the entire line...

KP in NPT | 2017年2月17日

I do not want to derail this into a union debate - but UAW would have no impact in the near future, in my opinion.

Organizing drives can take years, unless they now have enough employee support to win a vote (which I am not certain they do.) But lets say they quickly get the minimum cards signed to be allowed to call for a vote (I believe it's 35% of employees,) even if voted in tomorrow - the way it works is, everything (Pay, benefits, etc) freezes for the duration of contract negotiations, which also could be years. And most importantly, as of now, workers would have little leverage to substantially raise pay since the company has only posted a handful of profitable quarters.

That is not to say there would be zero impact to Tesla's bottom line - a contract could force changes to things like processes (if they are causing injury) and mandatory overtime, etc which could raise costs. But again that would be after a contract is signed, which would be a long way away.

I have a feeling UAW is trying to get in now, knowing this process takes years, in anticipation of being in a better position for negotiations down the road. (Like, when the company starts to consistently turn a profit due to gigafactory and model 3 success, etc.) And just because they're voted in doesn't mean they'd get what they want.

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月17日

Tesla's track record suggests that they tend to over deliver. Dont think that because they're not giving you updates, that you will be disappointed.

Haggy | 2017年2月17日

I wouldn't say there's a lot that Tesla has said or could say. They said at the reveal that there would be another one at some point, but never gave a date. They've made announcements saying that things are on schedule. They went from saying that the cars would start production by the end of the year to saying they expect to be producing in volume by the end of the year. And they moved the target for a production capacity of 500,000 cars a year from 2020 to 2018.

If you ordered when it came out, it's really impossible to tell when Tesla will start shipping to Europe, but I'd expect them to do LHD countries first.

As far as Trump goes, he should want Tesla to be able to export as much as they can, if he wants to be consistent with what he's been saying.

tstolz | 2017年2月19日

Tesla is trying to anti-sell Model 3 at this point in time .. so not surprising there has been no information on it. They have so much interest now .. it will become completely unglued once the actual production version is revealed.

carlk | 2017年2月19日

Because Tesla does not want to and it can not be micromanaged by 400,000 people by telling everyone its plan and schedule. You should know what has happened in the past how people were unforgiving when Tesla did not keep the "promise". We'll know when things happen. Every company does that.

kwen197 | 2017年2月19日

Try "Youtube" Feb 9 2017 model 3 updates and rumours?/ model3 owners club. The rumour is 3 mule ludicrous gets 0 to 60 mph in 2.0.

jordanrichard | 2017年2月20日

Per the Model 3 page, production will start "mid 2017".

dsvick | 2017年2月20日

@kwen197 - the 0 - 60 in 2 seconds is considered to be testing for the next roadster, not for the Model 3 itself.

rc5695 | 2017年2月20日

i just wish they would keep us 300k more in the loop. An email stating: "We have almost wrapped up the interior design" or "We currently are showing 3 different wheel options for the model 3" or "we are on track to get you a car in 2017", etc. SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!! Since reserving nearly 1 year ago, all I got was 1 email and 1 flyer in the mail. While I understand the big reveal is important, it is also important to keep stringing along those who have made an investment.

KP in NPT | 2017年2月20日

they can't just keep the 300K in the loop. Everything they say can effect the stock price. Everything they say is instantly reported by dozens of media outlets. Everything they say sets expectations. They're better to keep it all close to the vest and release it when they're ready. Be patient.

dsvick | 2017年2月20日

@rc5695 - "...it is also important to keep stringing along those who have made an investment."
Not really, I think I've read about less than ten that have said they were going to cancel due to lack of updates from Tesla. Sure, we all want to know as much as we can but very, very few people who were willing to put $1,000 down sight unseen are going to cancel.

@KP - You forgot "Everything they say will be immediately taken, twisted out of context, and shown in the worst possible light by all the shorts and nay-sayers."

JeffreyR | 2017年2月20日

@dsvick +1 good points.

@rc5695 -- please remember that regardless of what data points Tesla shares, it does not equal a release date. Tesla had to get new vendors for the FWD at the last minute which delayed the Model X (again). All it takes is one thing, and the Model 3 will be later than if that one thing did not hold them up. Roadster, Model S, and Model X owners all had to weather the media blackout far worse than we will. We at least know that the Model 3 and Gigafactory will be mentioned in the financials. We know the reservations are climbing from their financials. Every indication so far is that we'll see some Model 3 deliveries this year relatively on time. It does not look like we will need to wait years like the others before us. Also, it seems that we will get the price we hoped for (Model S was originally supposed to be $50K).
Finally don't forget The Great Ramp Up. Even if Tesla misses by 6 months and deliveries don't start in earnest until mid-2018, they are going ramp up production so fast it will make our heads spin. So unlike the Model X where we are still waiting to see Tesla hit their stride, the Model 3 will be produced by the 100s of 1000s in a year or so.

noleaf4me | 2017年2月20日

Welcome to how Tesla operates. It just builds interest!

Rocky_H | 2017年2月20日

@dsvick, +1 Some people seem confused, like they thought they were paying for a pen pal, rather than a car deposit.

bmalloy0 | 2017年2月20日

I'm not saying m.koch is or isn't, but I wonder how many of the people who start these threads don't even have a deposit, and are being paid to attempt to sew doubt. I see one of these threads every month it seems.

Badbot | 2017年2月20日

User name of the month club

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月20日

rc5695: As others have pointed out, Tesla has to be very careful with the information they release and the timing of it. There are those who want very much for Tesla to fail. There are those who would gladly take advantage of any opportunity to make it seem Tesla is failing. Because of this, Tesla must be extremely careful to avoid being perceived as offering any type of 'insider information' in a manner that some might mark as being inappropriate. So the most important information is typically revealed by way of an official press release, blog post, or quarterly report to shareholders. Those guys have to be given information first as a matter of law. No everyone that holds Tesla stock is also a Customer.

There was once an American automobile manufacturer based in Chicago named TUCKER that ended up going down due to trumped up allegations of securities fraud. It didn't matter that it was completely untrue, by the time the case was won the company had gone under. Tesla would like very much to avoid a similar fate. As far fetched as it may seem, the sort of information that some are demanding of Tesla as Customers is precisely the sort of thing that others would consider damning evidence instead.

Haggy | 2017年2月20日

The most accurate thing that Tesla can say right now is that things are on schedule. Tesla can keep track of what Tesla is doing. Suppliers have about four months to get everything together, make the parts, do it correctly, manufacture them in bulk, and get them to Tesla on time. When it gets to that point, Tesla will know more, but unless it means that there will be a substantial unforeseeable delay, there will be nothing new to announce.

With any other product from any company, if they said it would be available by around a certain time, that would be when I'd start wanting to hear from them.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月20日

There have been plenty of Tesla Naysayers that proudly posted their absolute assurance that if the Model ☰ were ever produced at all, no one would see them until 2020 at the earliest, and they would point to Tesla's supposed track record of 'always being late' as their evidence. Strangely, without fail, whenever I suggested that those individuals put their money where their mouth is and not put in a Reservation for Model ☰ until sometime in 2019, they refused to do so. I wonder why?

Haggy | 2017年2月21日

The problem is that those who want to look at Tesla's record refuse to account for what caused delays on anything. They also want to order cars chronologically rather than by level of difficulty, ability to get parts from suppliers, whether the design was done on time, whether there are engineering challenges not only based on what Tesla has done but based on what any manufacturer has ever done, etc. It's reasonable to expect the delay to be shorter than it was for the Model S. The Model S was delayed for months, and not a single reason for the delay exists this time around. There's a factory, willing suppliers, and loads of experience behind it.

andy.connor.e | 2017年2月22日

Sometimes too much information is a bad thing. And the most anticipation building way is by keeping you hooked on speculation and thinking about what will happen.

A good example is when Elon said "Let’s keep our Model 3 powder dry on announcements". Telling you be ready for an announcement at any moment, but not telling you when it will be. Think about a video game trailer. You get to see some things, but you dont know anything about it, and until it comes out you're left in the dark.

EaglesPDX | 2017年2月22日

"i just wish they would keep us 300k more in the loop."

Probably true for all 300,000+ of us. It's just one of Tesla's quirks, kind of like Apple with great products but these odd customer service gaffs.

mos6507 | 2017年2月22日

The most consternation is happening now because it's probably a month or so before the next big reveal.

They're only going to do as many reveals as is necessary to keep the natives from getting too restless.

Frank99 | 2017年2月22日

>> It's just one of Tesla's quirks, kind of like Apple with great products but these odd customer service gaffs.
Yes, it's really nice that other automakers are so open with information about their unreleased products. Why, just last week Chevy emailed me a really nice presentation with all the updates that have been made to the C8 Corvette since their last report a month ago, including the marketing plan update and build schedule.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年2月22日

The term 'proprietary information' exists for a reason.

Please understand that certain data is simply 'nunjadambizness'.

Chill.