Forums

Cold weather testing

Cold weather testing

Anybody else concerned that we haven't seen any Cold weather testing.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年5月8日

Nope. It was probably done months ago in places you've never been to and never heard of before. Chill.

ddrmadness | 2017年5月8日

I see what you did there red, hehe

dsvick | 2017年5月8日

Not seeing it doesn't mean it wasn't done.

Frank99 | 2017年5月8日

More likely that it's being done in an environmental chamber. It's tremendously easier to schedule snow, hail, sleet, freezing rain, rain, bitter cold, desert heat, and various combinations, in a chamber than driving somewhere and waiting (well, except for the bitter cold or desert heat, which are reasonably schedulable using a calendar and a map). It's harder to get the driving experience - but is that really necessary? You need to know how the car works after cold-soaking, and whether the door handles are usable after a bout of freezing rain. You need to know that the climate control can keep the passengers happy in extreme weather. You need to know whether the car is going to look like a golf ball after the next hailstorm.

rodneyrl414 | 2017年5月8日

My thing is there all new electronic in this car, nothing comes from s or x.

dsvick | 2017年5月9日

" there all new electronic in this car, nothing comes from s or x."

Why would you think that? They may not be the exact same components but almost all of the technology going into the model 3 will have been tried and tested in either the model S or X.

PhillyGal | 2017年5月9日

@rodney - even if true, it wouldn't matter. Batteries are batteries and they don't like being too cold.

rodneyrl414 | 2017年5月9日

Elon brag about cut down the amount of electronic from s or x. One screen one computer.

PhillyGal | 2017年5月9日

Sure but that has zero relation to the car's performance as a car. Much like how a window that won't roll down wouldn't prevent you from driving.

jordanrichard | 2017年5月9日

I think that the only "new" tech in the Model 3 that "may" require cold weather testing are the new batteries.

dyefrog | 2017年5月9日

Those of you with Model S, does the screen act any differently in the bitter cold, e.g. -20F? In my car, the screen is slower to respond and is lethargic vs normal temps.

KP in NPT | 2017年5月9日

I've noticed no difference with the screen in cold temps. Even when I forget to preheat the car.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年5月9日

dsvick: I'm sure there were some components designed for Model S or Model X that find their way into the Model ☰. But J.B. Straubel was rather specific that the new car is completely new from the ground up, with different chassis, battery system, power electronics, everything. The Model S and Model X are very similar to each other since both are on the Tesla Generation II platform. But ultimately, they only shared 30% of components between each other. I have a feeling that perhaps beyond the motors inside their casing, the Model ☰ will probably share less than 10% of components with the other two vehicles.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年5月9日

Frank99: I think that real world testing is still needed for less academic things... Like learning where dirt, grime, and gunk are most likely to build up on suspension components or get caked into crevices in the bodywork. Further, learning if it is better to use sound dampening in one place than another in the vehicle, and perfecting the proper seal design versus intrusion of water and wind noise at speed.

Frank99 | 2017年5月9日

I fully agree with you, Red. Just pointing out that a lot of ways of testing that have been used in the past (take these six cars and go put 5000 miles on them in upstate New York in January and see what doesn't work right) isn't necessarily the best way to do it today.
I do really hope that they put a lot of miles on some cars fully outfitted with microphone arrays to identify and kill off every bit of wind noise. That drives me bonkers; much more so than road noise.

Frank99 | 2017年5月9日

I fully agree with you, Red. Just pointing out that a lot of ways of testing that have been used in the past (take these six cars and go put 5000 miles on them in upstate New York in January and see what doesn't work right) isn't necessarily the best way to do it today.
I do really hope that they put a lot of miles on some cars fully outfitted with microphone arrays to identify and kill off every bit of wind noise. That drives me bonkers; much more so than road noise.

msmith55 | 2017年5月9日

It probably has battery heaters just like the S and X, if plugged in, the battery will be warm enough. Cold helps battery life, so it will probably cold to touch, but warm enough so capacity loses are acceptable. Charging generates heat that has to be removed by the battery temperature management system.

Red Sage ca us | 2017年5月10日

msmith55: Actually, the optimum operational temperature for Lithium-Ion batteries is between 35 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold temperatures, below freezing at 32 degrees Fahrenheit, are extremely bad for Lithium-Ion battery cells and may cause them to fail permanently. Tesla products don't currently use specific 'battery heaters' so much as a 'circulatory system' of climate control systems that both heat and cool the battery pack as needed to keep it as near or within its best operating range as possible. There are reports that operation in ambient temperatures of as much as 120 degrees Fahrenheit are controlled rather well, as long as there are not repeated bursts of maximum acceleration. There is also ample evidence that the battery pack protection systems do a superb job even in places with extremely cold weather for owners well within the Arctic Circle. Don't worry about it.

EaglesPDX | 2017年5月11日

This gets back to Tesla skipping the "Beta Testing" that other car mfgs and Tesla prior to the T3 do for a year before bringing out a new model.

Tesla is taking risks by skipping this step. The test drives in real world environments is another issue with skipping the beta test period. As mentioned above, something like sound insulation. Sounds great on dry clear road but slush kicking up might sound like a 5 year old with a drum. And that's hard to fix later.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/possible-delays-due-vendors-not-ab...

brando | 2017年6月12日

If I remember Elon at Oslo talk said Tesla cold weather engineering office in Norway when asked about putting a factory in Norway. Also, Marc Tarpenning said ice lake in Sweden used by most everyone for testing ABS, traction control, stabilty control and used for Roadster testing. Lotus thought Tesla cheating as Tesla made corrections with software in hours, when others took weeks to make hardware changes.

So I'd suspect most all cold weather testing in Norway an Sweden.

brando | 2017年6月12日

Well, seems not all testing in Scandinavia. or my memory just plain bad...