Forums

Air Conditioning -- Okay to leave on, while I go into market?

Air Conditioning -- Okay to leave on, while I go into market?

Hello all,

I have a 2016 Tesla Model S 75.
I live in the California desert.

1)
Is there a way to leave my air-conditioning on, while I leave the car and go into the supermarket (for example).
Currently, I get out of the car, walk away from it, the car locks itself, then I get my phone, open up the Tesla app (while I am walking from the parking lot to the market), and turn on the AC. I feel like I'm going to walk into a pole or something as I'm trying to do this. ha.
Is there a way to have the car simply leave the air conditioning running, while I leave the car for a bit.
Again, it's hot here, so I'm leaving it running at around 65 degrees (so I'm not looking for the automatic interior overheating option thing).

2)
Is doing this okay for the car? I'm talking about 30 minutes, max. You know, stop and run into the post office, market, or wherever. Just those quick daily stops.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

lilbean | 2017年6月6日

Of course :)

Bighorn | 2017年6月6日

I leave it in neutral with the E brake on to keep the air on. 30 minutes will use a few miles tops.

bb0tin | 2017年6月6日

@Eddie
If you turn on Cabin Overheat Protection in settings then the venting and aircon will prevent the car interior getting over 40C. You can also set the car to precondition the vehicle via the mobile app before you return to the vehicle.

Bighorn | 2017年6月6日

@Eddie
Neither of bbOtin's suggestions is realistic for your scenario unless you are content with a 115F degree cabin. You also stated " (so I'm not looking for the automatic interior overheating option thing)." Preconditioning with the app is the unwieldy thing you were hoping to avoid, so i don't know why he parroted it back as an option. Seems like he didn't read your post. It may be the first time he's tried to assist someone with a question, so I guess that's a thing.

Captain_Zap | 2017年6月6日

We have left the AC on for several hours using by putting the car in neutral and setting the parking brake on the touch screen. Never a problem. Some call it "camping mode".

bb0tin | 2017年6月6日

@Bighorn
The Cabin Overheat Protection was to specify the 40C maximum.
The OP will have to decide for himself if setting the car to preheat/precool via the app while shopping is onerous for him. It takes me about 5 seconds to do it.

lilbean | 2017年6月6日

@bighorn, I like to return to a cool car, 74 degrees at least. Thanks for the tip!

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

Reading comprehension is not everyone's strong suit, apparently.

From the OP:
"Currently, I get out of the car, walk away from it, the car locks itself, then I get my phone, open up the Tesla app (while I am walking from the parking lot to the market), and turn on the AC. I feel like I'm going to walk into a pole or something as I'm trying to do this. ha."

"Again, it's hot here, so I'm leaving it running at around 65 degrees (so I'm not looking for the automatic interior overheating option thing)."

OP--Just do what I said. That's how people can travel with their pet(s). Just leave a sign in the window in that case to keep a good Samaritan from breaking your window.

georgehawley.fl.us | 2017年6月7日

anti-Korean bump
cool thread

Eddie Cheddar | 2017年6月7日

Hello all,
Thanks for your "hot" tips! (Haha, I'm so funny!)

By the way, Bighorn, when I read bb0tin's reply on here, I thought the same thing you did -- seems like he didn't read my original post at all, and he actual provided no help or input on the topic, at all.

bb0tin -- Please do not reply to this post. I am not asking for any responses from you, or suggestions from you, or thoughts from you, or anything else. The rest of the group is helping me with this, just fine. Thank you.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@Eddie
You had not mentioned precooling with the app it in the OP.
It is what the function is for.
I told you that it takes me about 5 seconds to do it myself.
Why is me suggesting that you precool the car with the mobile app not helping?

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@Eddie Cheddar
This is an example of a gracious poster responding to me when I made a post to help.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/why-doesnt-tesla-include-basic-fea...
You post was, quite frankly, rude and ungracious, and totally unnecessary.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@Eddie Cheddar
This is an example of a poster who may, or may not, have found helpful the video I posted useful.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/white-seat-staining#comment-1167717

Frenchy | 2017年6月7日

@bb0tin

Op said "Tesla app (while I am walking from the parking lot to the market), and turn on the AC. I feel like I'm going to walk into a pole or something as I'm trying to do this."

The desire was for an alternative method other than the app. Also, since you have trolled the trolls(and the entire forums for x amount of days(Not the only one)), sodium levels are still high among community members.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@posters
I have never, as far as I know, responded to this poster before. I posted a genuine helpful hint in a polite manner. Their response was unprovoked rude behaviour. Why would someone behave in such a manner right off the bat and assume it is OK to do so? I can only think that the behaviour of the trolls have made them feel that it is OK to behave in such a manner. If I am correct, then the trolls have polluted this forum to such an extent, that expected civil behaviour is no longer considered necessary ion this forum.

Frenchy | 2017年6月7日

@bb0tin

Reading posts thoroughly may help grasp a better understanding of what has been said. Take mine for example, I just answered the question you asked. Yes it is poor etiquette. However, it should be as no surprise when one holds a forum hostage with repetitious posting. Give it a few weeks bb0tin and thinks will calm down.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@Frenchy
You are correct that the OP said he doesn't want to use the overheat feature and turns on the aircon while walking away from the car.

My post intended to say:
1) It is worthwhile to set overheat protection on because it will always keep the cabin to at least 40C without any further action from him
2) That he can turn on precooling other than when 'walking away' from the car i.e. he can turn it on any time within half an hour of returning to the car.
3) That other owners do exactly this

KP in NPT | 2017年6月7日

The OP said: "bb0tin -- Please do not reply to this post. I am not asking for any responses from you, or suggestions from you, or thoughts from you, or anything else. The rest of the group is helping me with this, just fine. Thank you."

You should honor his wishes instead of posting multiple times when he explicitly asked you not to.

Frenchy | 2017年6月7日

@bb0tin

lol....... I think it's a good idea you mentioned. I have yet to be an owner of a Tesla but when the time arrives, i'm sure to make good use of the overheat protection/pre-cooling suggestion you mentioned.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@KP in NPT
I have asked you to not troll me, and you even posted that you would stop doing so.
However, you kept trolling me, and then took back your statement.
You still troll me, even though I have asked you to stop multiple times.
So how this: I will not respond to @Eddie Cheddar and you will not troll me. Deal?
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/repetitive-trolls-long-history-85

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@Frenchy
:-)

KP in NPT | 2017年6月7日

I do not troll you. I just do not agree with you and think you have mental problems. It's not my fault you don't know the definition of trolling.

But leave Eddie alone as he asked.

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

Eddie called it--got trolled by bbOtin. Sad. And then bbOtin co-opted the thread because he was butt hurt that his suggestions sucked.

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@KP in NPT
So how about this: I will not respond to, or mention, @Eddie Cheddar and you will not respond to, or mention me. Deal?

@Bighorn

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

That's bbOtin's tenth unhelpful post. Not how it's supposed to work around here. I answered the OP satisfactorily in one post and now have to try to do cleanup to retain a new owner who bbOtin is trying to run off. Ridiculous. Right up there with Eagles and we all know what happened to him.

KP in NPT | 2017年6月7日

I am agreeing to nothing.

But that does not preclude you from honoring Eddie's wishes. Stop bringing me into it. You are trolling me.

+1 Bighorn

bb0tin | 2017年6月7日

@KP in NPT
You are the one who initially directed a post to me, and about me, not the other way around.
It appears you prefer to keep doing so.

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

Up to 12 useless posts. The 12 Step Troll program.

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

Baker's dozen

KP in NPT | 2017年6月7日

"The OP said: "bb0tin -- Please do not reply to this post. I am not asking for any responses from you, or suggestions from you, or thoughts from you, or anything else. The rest of the group is helping me with this, just fine. Thank you."

You should honor his wishes instead of posting multiple times when he explicitly asked you not to."

that is not trolling. That is pointing out the obvious.

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

@KP
It seems like you are simply offering support to a new poster. Pay it forward I say.

Bighorn | 2017年6月7日

King of the Trolls

JayInJapan | 2017年6月8日

DEAR TESLA: this is another hijacked thread.

alexabrown252 | 2019年12月2日

Hi Eddie, how is your problem? Did you resolve it? I understand you, because in the desert it is necessary to chill in every possible way, especially in transport. Last year, I had a problem sealing my system due to damaged gaskets. The coupling elements must remain flexible to maintain the working pressure. aircon servicing https://www.socool.sg/ has helped to solve this problem. So nowadays I appeal only to them.

Tropopause | 2019年12月2日

OTA solved this OP's scenario. Simply leave climate control ON or in DOG MODE.