Forums

How spatious is a Model 3?

How spatious is a Model 3?

Hi,

I'm planning to reserve a Model 3, but I was wondering how spatious it is on the inside. I've got three children and a husband, all over 1m80cm. They need to be able to sit in this car comfortably for long durations. How big is this car compared to something like a Volvo V70? Should I go for a Model S instead? That one seems larger.

Thank you

Leela | 2017年6月10日

I suggest you test drive a Model S: it is very spacious! The model 3 is shorter (see tesla.com/compare), but most of the reduced length will mean less storage, so the cabin may have a similar length. It is also loses some width. Probably has a similar height, from this picture: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-spotted-fremont-factory-tour/
My guess is that if the model S works for you, the model 3 will most likely also work. If not, you can always get your 1000 back after you test drive it!

Frank99 | 2017年6月10日

The Model 3 is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to the Model 3.

With apologies to Douglas Adams.

hannes.dendonck... | 2017年6月10日

Thank you all!

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年6月10日

If you have access to a current Honda Civic Sedan, I would guess its interior passenger volume would be the minimum you could expect of a Tesla Model ☰. I believe the trunk on each would be about the same size as well. The Civic the largest car in its class, and is larger than most of those the Model ☰ will compete against, so it should make for a decent benchmark.

JeffreyR | 2017年6月10日

@Red makes a good point. Also, if a BMW 3-Series works, I would be shocked if a Model 3 would not.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2017年6月11日

An EPA comparison of interior volume for Passengers and Luggage:

Hyundai Ioniq Electric, Volvo V60, Chevrolet BOLT, Honda Civic Sedan
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=38431&id=37560&id=3...

KP in NPT | 2017年6月11日

From the prototype, the passenger cabin seems like it will be quite spacious - more so than similar sized ICE cars. It actually looks a bit taller than the Model S so I imagine the cabin will be quite comfortable for passengers with great headroom. While the 3 is shorter than the S, they sacrificed the front end where an engine would normally be and gave that space to the passenger cabin. It is narrower than the S so 3 across in the back will be closer than the S - but 3 adults were seated in the back for the test rides no problem. Not sure how comfortable that would be for long trips - but those are adults, not kids.

If you reserve now, you will have PLENTY of time to check it out in person before you actually take delivery. I believe EM said the first year production is sold out, and anyone reserving today probably shouldn't plan on getting the car before 2019. (If it comes sooner, great.) But make the reservation to get in line if you're interested.

That said, the model S is indeed a big car. Very spacious inside - I'm sure would be great for your family. But it is big and not everyone wants a big car. I agree with taking one on a test drive.

Bluesday Afternoon | 2017年6月11日

Smaller than a Model S...push