Forums

How do we pay to use superchargers

How do we pay to use superchargers

How will it work? Do we need to swipe a credit card or set up an online account that is prepaid similar to how some toll transponders work? What about people that dont have intenet or cellphones to set up an online accounts or people that dont have credit cards? Probably the situations above dont apply to most people but I'm sure their might be a few exceptions.

Tâm | 2017年8月24日

@Tesla2018

Currently, it automatically takes the payment from your the financial account on record on your "My Tesla" webpage.

I have no idea how Tesla would deal with those who want to pay cash and not online.

Probably, their supercharger won't work unless there's a valid way to pay online like the way Amazon does with their Amazon Cash method where you go to a physical cashier to deposit your cash and then your cash appears online.

Tâm | 2017年8月24日

@Tesla2018

Supercharger only works when it recognizes everything is in order:

From technical points: no shorts in the system that might burn or explode the area, no possibility for electrocuting someone...

As well as financial information: Is this a Model S60 that paid for $2,000 supercharger access fee already? Is this grandfathered Tesla with unlimited charging? Is this Model 3? Is current valid financial payment information online?....

Tesla2018 | 2017年8月24日

@Tam I am referring to model3 owners. I believe all other models have free supercharging. To reserve a model3 online a credit card was needed but I dont know if they were taking cash and checks for walk ins since only one other person was in line when I was there and we both had credit cards.

Daryl | 2017年8月24日

How does the supercharger know which car is connected? Is that information read through the connector, or does the owner have to log in to the charger?

Tâm | 2017年8月24日

@Tesla2018

Tesla did charge Supercharger fees for those Model S and X who used above 400 kW this year through its online "My Tesla" page already.

It then refunded the charges back and grandfathered those who are eligible for unlimited supercharging.

The charges and refunds have been well practiced in Model S and X owners already so I don't see any problem in implementing that to Model 3.

Tâm | 2017年8月24日

@Daryl

Another way to explain the earlier post:

When you hook Supercharger Cable, it would perform a "hand shake" routine before allowing charging.

You do not have to do any thing else at the station: No logging, No swiping, no cards,...

Yes, it gets your information through the Supercharger Cable.

Haggy | 2017年8月25日

I never bothered putting in a credit card number for those sorts of charges, but the only charges I could end up with would be overage fees.

KP in NPT | 2017年8月25日

The supercharger first performs a "handshake" with cars when they are plugged in - tesla knows your car by this handshake. I expect tesla to require owners to have a CC on file in your My Tesla, and that will be charged when you use a supercharger. I also believe the info/charges relating to the session will show up on the display in the car.

there is no method to pay for charging at the stalls. it will have to be via cc, I'm guessing.

socaldave | 2017年8月25日

+1 KP When Tesla takes your next payment upon being invited to configure (for M3's it's $2500 bucks), it needs to be done via CC. There's your payment method for supercharging.

RichardKJ | 2017年8月25日

There's a place to add a credit card on your My Tesla page for such charges. Probably supercharging will not work if you don't have one registered.

Captain_Zap | 2017年8月25日

Too bad Elon sold Paypal. ;-)

Tâm | 2017年8月25日

@Captain_Zap

It was a coup while he took a first vacation in years.

Elon wanted to switch from UNIX to Microsoft which the board didn't agree.

Thus, when he came back from the vacation, his position was gone!

http://fortune.com/2007/11/13/paypal-mafia/

Carl Thompson | 2017年8月25日

@Tâm:
"Elon wanted to switch from UNIX to Microsoft..."

Why would anyone want to do that?

Carl

Tâm | 2017年8月25日

@Carl Thompson

Hey! We are all human and can make mistakes sometimes!

jordanrichard | 2017年8月26日

Just to provide some clarification to the whole FREE unlimited supercharging vs the annual 400 kWh alottment. Tesla's made/ordered before this past January have free unlimited supercharging. Starting in January, Tesla started this annual allotment of 400 kWh of free supercharging and then would charge for anything beyond that. Now, if one referred a person to buy a Tesla, they would then get unlimited free supercharging like it was under the original policy.

There is also the "idling fee" which is charged for leaving your car plugged in after it is done charging AND 50% or more of the charging stalls are taken. Before Tesla changed the "My Tesla" page, these fees would be added to your bill when you brought your car in for service. Now, Tesla has added a spot for one to put their credit card information on their Tesla account. However as others have mentioned, quite often they would waive these idiling fees.

CraigW | 2017年8月26日

For the newbies only.

When your Tesla connects to any supercharger Tesla knows your car - this is the way they controlled the early S60s without supercharger privileges.

Since they always know your car and they have on record your credit card, all they need is your permission to charge that card in the future. This is most likely in the sales contract you will electronically sign. They will send ou an email - at your previously entered email address - with a receipt for your purchase and will require that you keep your credit card information current to continue to use the supercharger network.

This is not brain surgery - Tesla has had all this information in place for years.

michael | 2018年6月4日

Where does one see the Supercharger charges? I don't see any place for it in the account section of the website.

Unbeliever | 2018年6月4日

Once you have at least one SuperCharger session under your belt, a "History" link will appear on the upper right link list on the "My Account" page.

gballant4570 | 2018年6月4日

All of this would make any worthy career bank robber shiver, and move on to the ICE dealer......

felix | 2018年6月12日

@Unbeliever, I have a model 3 and supercharged about 2 weeks ago. The car UI shows the $5.60 charge but I don't have a "history" link in My Account and interestingly, have not seen the charge on my credit card as well. Thoughts?

jithesh | 2018年6月13日

@felix

I first used supercharger during delivery as I wanted to have full charge to take home. I could not see it in the history link for 1 week. Then I used the supercharger again recently and it came up on Tesla website account after a day. However, I still cannot see the first charging session on my history neither on my credit card. So I think it probably did not add to my account maybe because of some delay in setting my account during delivery.

Another thing I found recently supercharging history will not show up when accessing my account on Phone browser or Tesla app but only shows up on Tesla website Account using PC browser.

If you still have issues, you should call Tesla Customer Support.

Jeffcrilly | 2018年9月13日

Maybe a case of "the first one is free, kid"?

Has anyone here got the "free supercharging referral with model 3 performance purchase" activated?
If so, what does that look like? (Or is it simply invisible?)

I ordered in mid August and received an email from a "sales" person (in Walnut Creek) that the referral code was applied to my account. After that I did not see any reference to the referral.

I asked about it when taking delivery and was told that I would need to pay, but then it would be activated "soon".

I did one supercharging session on the day we took delivery. 5 days ago.

I do not have a CC on my Tesla account (payed the 2500 using my watch).

I do not have any "history". I'm not sure if there is a record in the car. I'd have to double check.

thx for any info.

6813435 | 2018年10月1日

I supposed to have unlimited supercharging since I had applied a referral code with my 3 Performance purchase that I picked up on Sept 22nd. However, on my account under "View Vehicle Details", it showed "Pay Per Use Supercharging" status. I contacted customer support and the rep has filed an account update with the referral code. Since I picked up my 3, I had two supercharge sessions but I did not receive any charges. I did not see any cost showing up on my dash during the charging sessions and I did not see any History on my account when I accessed it through a browser on a computer. I did have a credit card on file and I also did not see any supercharging charge to my credit card.

6813435 | 2018年10月1日

I supposed to have unlimited supercharging since I had applied a referral code with my 3 Performance purchase that I picked up on Sept 22nd. However, on my account under "View Vehicle Details", it showed "Pay Per Use Supercharging" status. I contacted customer support and the rep has filed an account update with the referral code. Since I picked up my 3, I had two supercharge sessions but I did not receive any charges. I did not see any cost showing up on my dash during the charging sessions and I did not see any History on my account when I accessed it through a browser on a computer. I did have a credit card on file and I also did not see any supercharging charge to my credit card.

jacklondon413 | 2018年10月1日

I'm in the same boat as 6813435.

My account says "Pay Per Use Supercharging" but then when I use any supercharger, it has been free, no charges. I asked Tesla a couple weeks ago and they said it would be updated but my account on their computer indicated I had free supercharging. I'm fine with it as long as I don't get charged.

datoda | 2018年11月29日

I also saw the same thing reported by 6813435 in my account. The agent I spoke with on the phone said that it would take 15 days after delivery for the freebies to be reflected in your account.

lbowroom | 2018年11月29日

Don't hold your breath. I'm at 60 days, still indicates pay per use. Haven't been charged.

CorkChop | 2018年11月29日

Um, you can’t order a card without a credit card and you’re worried about using the supercharger?

goatea | 2018年12月11日

Boy. Reading this thread really makes me apprehensive about using the supercharger. I haven’t used it yet and it said pay per use on my account page. Sales guy said it would be sorted out.

Why is this complicated? Free 6 months supercharging should be free 6 months supercharging. Period. Why are they showing an amount and not charging the card? Confusing.

jimglas | 2018年12月11日

I have free lifetime SC. My page also shows "pay per use", but I never get paid when I SC. I suspect you will not be billed for SC use.

M3BlueGeorgia | 2018年12月11日

@goatea: Don't sweat it. Typically talking about $4 to $8, almost pocket change for someone with a $60K car. :-)

We mostly pay for Supercharging, but sometimes we don't and it seems to work fine.
For example: Due to hurricanes, we've seen Tesla suspend charges for a few weeks at a time in the SouthEast.

ODWms | 2018年12月11日

Mine still says pay per use, but I have free unlimited lifetime. Never get charged.

Mac178 | 2019年9月21日

Has anyone found a way to get detail reports from Tesla re supercharger usage.

My credit card billing shows unexplained small charges that do not correlate with my use of superchargers

rehutton777 | 2019年9月21日

@Mac178: Access your account on the TESLA website and log in. On your "Tesla Account" page (first screen after log in) you should see headings "Home", "Account", "History" and "Sign out" towards the upper right. Click on "History", and that will give you a detailed report of every Supercharger use.