Forums

Deactivate seatbelt alarm

Deactivate seatbelt alarm

No judgement please.

Anyone know if the seat belt warning turns off after awhile or is there a way to deactivate completely. Or does it keep making noise forever?

Thanks

TheChad | 2018年1月7日

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
-William Shakespeare

kaffine | 2018年1月7日

@ Liba

No you and others have not unequivocally offered real world use cases where it is not irresponsible to ask this question. Answers have also been provided on how to do it. Since Tesla does not publish a way of disabling the seat belt warning these are the options that can be used at this time. After looking up how to disable it on other cars unless Tesla publishes the sequence or someone goes through the code line by line to find it I doubt a way to just turn it off by software will be found. Frankly with all of the other issues Tesla has with software right now I would rather their programmers work on those instead of coming up with a method of disabling a seat belt warning.

Please also note that using the methods provided to disable the seat belt warning may also defeat some of the other safety features. Like it turning off TACC and Autosteer if the driver seat belt is removed.

SCCRENDO | 2018年1月7日

I guess this is settled then. Problem solved. Most think it’s not smart. Some have suggested some potential strategies to solve this issue. OP has got his 15 mins of fame.

Liba | 2018年1月7日

Now it's about Fame seeking? Really?

Again it's just getting more and more Trump-like here and the people who are being Trump-ish don't even know it which is hilarious to watch.

Thanks to those who actually offered solutions.

lilbean | 2018年1月7日

You're welcome, Liba.

dgstan | 2018年1月7日

As I've mentioned before, are the posters here indicative of Tesla owners in general? If so, I'm not sure I want to join the club. The level of arrogance, rudeness, and insulting behaviour found here is astounding to me.

BTW - someone asked what cars allows the beep to be disabled. I drive a 2014 Prius Plug-in and had both the seatbelt and reverse beep turned off. Every Toyota and Lexus I've owned in the last 15 years has allowed this.

All people are asking for is an option to disable the beep in the Model 3. No one who is making this request is trying to change anyone else's behaviour. In my world, if you like the beep, you get to keep it. If you don't like it, turn it off. I thought Liba has a reasonable request.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年1月7日

@dgstan - Safety is important to most owners and without knowing the reasons you want to drive without a seat belt, it is a bit scary to many of us. Don't take it too personally - it's very hard to get nuance across in posts (and some people go a bit overboard). Just comes with the territory in most forums.

As I pointed out, it's a non-issue on Teslas - the alert sound goes off after 8 seconds or so. I did notice it returns if you shift directions (i.e. go from Drive to Reverse), but times out again. My tests were in my driveway, but I don't expect it to be any different when driving.

Doesn't seem like it needs a dedicated switch to completely disable it (and would be illegal in the USA). I presume the other cars that have a disable switch, still provide an initial alert sound, per the regulations, or pre-date the regulations.

Liba | 2018年1月7日

The beep came back again and again for me when I drove the model 3. Tesla tap yours just beeps once and stops?

TeslaTap.com | 2018年1月7日

@Liba - With the seatbelt not connected, when I turned on the car and pressed the brake, selected Drive. it beeps for a few seconds and then went quiet. The dashboard light continues to flash (driver). I didn't test the passenger side. The audio alert did return if I changed from Drive to Reverse, but also went out after a few seconds.

kaffine | 2018年1月7日

TeslaTap.com

The issue is that the beep comes back on. Even if left in drive it will beep for the 8 seconds then go off for a little bit and then start beeping again. I looked up the disable procedure on a few cars it isn't a simple switch. They have fairly specific procedures that have to be followed to turn it off one of them required a certain key sequence then connect/disconnecting the seat belt you want to disable the warning on 9 times in 30 seconds and then it defaults to being on if the battery is disconnected.

There is no law that prohibits from being disabled there are requirements that it be on when it is delivered to the customer but after that there is no legal requirement for it to work.

This is one of many non issues to most but a major issue a few. At least with this issue is there is a work around for those that really want too.

martin | 2018年1月24日

Yes. I did it today in about half an hour on the driver's side. I drive a lot off road at low speed so this was a must for me. You need a 9/16 inch wrench to remove the seatbelt receiver from the back of the seat after you click out the wire from small harness on the side underneath the seat. Then push the plastic receiver up out the rubber skin. Pop off the plastic lid off the side. Inside you will find a small metal clasp at the end of the the red and black wires. Pry this small clasp gently with needle nose pliers. Tape that up well with electrical tape to the wire and plug that part back into the small click harness under the seat and test it out! No more light! Air bag still works. The car thinks your are attached. Once convinced, put your case and rubber cover back (use the wrench eye on the bolt to pull it through the rubber again) and reattach the receiver with the bolt to the seat so you can use the belt when you should choose to.

lilbean | 2018年1月24日

Isn’t the seat belt important when driving off road?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2018年1月24日

Here the thing is... My younger Brother is a First Responder. He has related horrid tales of people who died that didn't need to.

Modifying seatbelt harnesses to disable a seatbelt reminder is incredibly irresponsible. Disagree? Fine, just make sure to let your auto insurance agent, life insurance agent, and health insurance provider all know that you have the 'right' to do so. Have the courage of your convictions.

dgstan | 2018年1月24日

Martin - Thanks for the info. This is great.

If you do the passenger side, maybe you could make a video.

lilbean | 2018年1月24日

I was thinking the same thing, @Red. I was a first responder. I've seen so many avoidable tragic deaths.

martin | 2018年1月25日

Dgstan, you are welcome! I don't have a video but I did post a photo with the tools and parts during the job. You can see the clasp in yellow for removal and the plastic parts in blue that need to be separated from the receiver. The passenger side should be almost identical in construction. Good luck and (I'll say this for the others' sake who are obviously concerned about safety) ...please mod responsibly!

The photo is public on flickr. Just search "Tesla Seat belt mod".

dgstan | 2018年1月25日

Thanks again, Martin.

I certainly don't advocate driving around without your seatbelt, but there are a few instances I do. When I get to work, I have to unbuckle to be able to reach the badge scanner to get into the parking garage. From there, it's a minute or two until I find an EV spot. It's nice to just be able to go. I'm typically the first person there, so there is no traffic in the garage.

Also, the other day I was parallel parking and instinctively, I took off my seatbelt to be able to look around easier. I don't know where or when I learned to do that. Who knows if that would even be necessary in the Model 3.

martin | 2018年1月25日

Just to be clear, the reversible procedure I performed was carried out on a 2017 Model X and involved no cutting or permanent change to the vehicle. I would guess Tesla used the same mechanism in other models and years. If the assembly looks much different just make sure you test the results before putting it all back together.

You cannot just "cut wires" as jordanrichard suggests. There is two way communication with the airbag system and a simple shorting of the circuit will not accomplish your goal.

ipad | 2018年2月4日

I have a dozen clients who live in posh houses with long drives and electric gates. I have to exit my car to announce my arrival. It irritates me beyond my patience to be told to belt up for the single-track paved drive to their front door, and on all my previous vehicles persuaded the main dealer to de-activate my warning gong.

I am seeking an answer to the original question, not a zealous lecture on Health and Safety. I have enough warnings on my nuclear-powered toothbrush.

Lots of love

P

martin | 2018年2月14日

See my January 24 post. It works! Problem solved in a reversible way.

dgstan | 2018年8月12日

This might be of interest for the Evel Knievel types around here. It should suppress the beep and make it so you don't have to reach so far down to attach the buckle the 99.9% of the time you do want to use the seat belt.

https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/tesla-model-3-seat-belt-extender/

grd | 2019年10月17日

My issue is seatbelt alarm going off when passenger in the back dared put his camera bag and equipment beside him. He needed it there as he was taking lots of shots inside and out and was swapping out equipment and such. Eventually we just snapped the belt to get some peace and quiet... but come on! I should be able to hit the icon of the missing seatbelt to acknowledge that I understand and it can shut-up about it now. Leave the icon, sure.. but stop the alarm noise.

rob.van.olst | 2019年10月18日

I have two dogs in the backseat that every now and then trigger the alarm, even a heavy bag will set it off. Buckling the dogs up is no option so I also would like to be able to turn off the alarm.

Lorenzryanc | 2019年10月18日

Why does OP keep mentioning Trump? You can disable the chime the same way you'd disable it in any car. Please understand this request of yours goes against the law and most things we stand against. Tesla is against deaths in cars and your proposal is opposed to that. Hopefully that explains the vitriol.

hokiegir1 | 2019年10月18日

@grd - if you tap the seat with the alarm, you can turn back seat passengers/bags into "car seats" which will disable the alarm. This doesn't work for front seats.

Pages