Forums

Will I regret 75 instead of 100 battery?

Will I regret 75 instead of 100 battery?

Hi, I just ordered a Model X with 75 KW battery. We driver mostly in town, and will likely put less than 100 miles per day on the car. So the 75 KW seems OK. But, we still take the occasional trip from Northern California (near the factory) to Southern California (LA) (340 miles). I still have 3 days to change the order at no cost. Should I upgrade the battery. The difference is pretty steep, but I don't want to regret the decision for 3 years (lease).

Thanks in advance.

pjalan | 2018年2月28日

If you are ok with one extra SC stop during your SoCal trip you will be fine. It’s lot of money to pay for those occasional extra stops. If money is not an issue everyone in this forum will suggest you get a 100. I got a 75 for pretty much the same reason as yours.

If you still need a brand new referral for $500 plus free sc let me know. I haven’t referred anyone yet.

Solarman004 | 2018年2月28日

In my opinion, you won't regret it. We've had our 75D from Seattle to Philadelphia, and never once regretted the battery choice. This includes many Rocky Mt trips and one week in the Big Freeze of northern Illinois last Dec where temps ranged from -18 to +10 F.
The Tesla charging network is massive, but you'll be doing most of your charging at home anyway.

Model_D | 2018年2月28日

We have taken two family round trips in the opposite direction in our Model X 60D. It seemed like a waste of money to upgrade to a 75D just for a little convenience once or twice a year. I subscribe to the 90% theory. Buy a vehicle that fills 90% of your needs. It is real expensive to get that last 10%.

roaryw | 2018年2月28日

was in the same boat --- i toggled between 75 with all the features i wanted --- or 100d and take a few concessions (what was more important ... range or PUP/seat configuration) .... after doing some trip scenarios on the trip planner I opted for range -- don't regret my decision

Ohmster | 2018年2月28日

No regrets. 95% of need for X is 25 miles daily. Large trips to SD or SF seem reasonably easy given the number of SCs available in both directions. Haven't tried any in the X yet.

My S is similar, 70 miles daily. Taken a few trips around 150 miles one way.

‘17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.6.1. Grin on!

georgehawley.fl.us | 2018年2月28日

Have no regrets. You will drive and charge the car as needed for the trips and enjoy it.
Having done a 2400 mile round trip to Chicago, I found that in the 90 kWh option we could cover 600 miles a day in about 13 hours, a relatively leisurely pace. You will always get to where you want to go. It will just take a little longer.
No worries.

Redmiata98 | 2018年2月28日

If you have the money, get the 100. You will apreciate it the first longer trip you take. Less time charging, more time driving.

burdogg | 2018年2月28日

Redmiata98 said what i was going to - it charges faster at the chargers. So while you can make it with a 75, you will probably make it faster in the 100D.

But you have to look at how often do you travel - because if you are talking once a year, than maybe it really isn't worth that extra money.

We went with the biggest 90D at the time, but that is because our trip to see family, we have to go 220 miles BETWEEN two chargers - there are no other ones around. Made our decision easy :)

Good luck - I don't think you can go wrong, but the true mantra is - get the biggest battery you can afford, you won't ever regret having more miles. You might, and that depends on your situation, but might regret not having more miles.

inconel | 2018年2月28日

If it's a lease for only 3 years get the 75, especially if you only do long road trips once or twice a year. In 3 years you might be able to get into a much longer range Tesla...

zanegler | 2018年3月1日

inconel makes a good point re/ a lease, but if buying I say range is king. I assume it is too late to change without a fee. If so, then you will love your X. If not, I highly recommend getting the 100. Resale on a 75 might be questionable in a couple years.

jerryk | 2018年3月1日

Thanks all. We will be running it through our company. Still trying to decide on lease versus the purchase, because of tax advantages of 6000+ GVW versus knowing something better will be out there in 3 years. But, given the driving is mostly to local customers the 75 kW sounds sufficient.

Rocky_H | 2018年3月1日

This is straight up a choice between dollars and time/convenience. You save some big bucks getting the 75kWh battery, and what it "costs" you is that when you take long trips, you will need to charge a bit more often and for longer. Where the 100 might be able to skip a Supercharger here or there, you probably won't. And the larger battery has room to keep the charging speed higher for longer, so the 75 will be tapering down to slower rates sooner. But really, these charging time differences are going to be on the order of an extra 20 minutes or so, so it's not the end of the world if you just realize that you are using patience a few times a year as payment for the tens out thousands of dollars you saved.

I've seen some new 75 Model X owners pretty frustrated on their first trips, though, because they thought "rated miles" is supposed to be exactly the number of real miles they can drive, which is a bit too optimistic to be quite true. Everyone seems to drive faster on highway trips than what the EPA rating is accounting for. Discount that by a bit to not have unreasonable expectations, and you should be OK.

Try playing with some routes on www.evtripplanner.com to get a really accurate idea of how trips would be with how many rated miles they would use and how much charging time it would take. You can select the 75kWh Model X and the inside and outside temperature for it to model the energy use, etc.

Starlifter | 2018年3月1日

I live in the northeast. I like to drive fast, really enjoy the quick acceleration and I want to use the heat/AC and be comfortable. The tradeoff is that my 90kwh battery rated for 256 miles has an effective range in the winter of around 150-160. So as said above, only you can decide your needs and your driving habits. If your daily range needed is low and you're comfortable driving economically without using much more than seat heat on longer trips - then the 75 will be just fine. But if you're a ricky bobby wannabe (like me) and you don't want to hear complaints from others that they're too cold - you simply can't go big enough on the battery.

jerryk | 2018年3月1日

"ricky bobby wannabe" Ha, ha! No we drive slow. I will get another motorcycle if I want to go fast!

We live the SF Bay Area, 10 miles from the factory. Driving fast here much of the day is impossible because of the heavy traffic. I want to try AutoPilot on the 25-0-25 commute and let something else deal with it. And also want to see how it is avoid some of it with the special EV 1 person in the HOV lanes!

LTO2 | 2018年3月1日

@jerryk: I’m 8 months in on a 75D, chosen instead of the additional $20k for the 100D. Several in-state, out-of-state, across states road trips. Only one occasion did I have serious worries: I mistakenly by-passed a Supercharger on the way to destination city, then had to drive back (30+ miles) to charge, worrying and watching the range all the way. Made it, charged up, no further anxious moments on that and on any other road trips. Supercharging network is great. Energy calculations on nav system very, very accurate, in my experience.

I still sometimes wish for the 100 K battery, but, in truth, the 75 is more than adequate, especially for local driving. Planning trips with evtripplanner has never resulted in a projection that would be beyond the capacity of the 75D. As another poster recommended: buy for 90% of expected usage, not the occasional 10%. Still, if money is no concern, lease/buy the 100D and suffer no anxieties.

peter | 2018年3月1日

As the others have said. The difference is in the long trips and in charging times. I often wish that I had the 100 instead of the 90. I kept the 90 instead of upgrading to the 100 when Tesla was not offering lifetime unlimited supercharging with the 100.

burdogg | 2018年3月1日

I am lost - am I on a different evtripplanner? There is only 1 X that you can select and that is the P90D. Sure you can select a different car with similar range to try to match up, but the drag coefficient, weight, etc is completely different between an S and X. What am I missing here?

dmanincali | 2018年3月1日

I have a 75 but if I could do it again I'd get the 100. The 75 is good for 95% of my driving. But when I do the longer trips (i.e. from the Bay Area to Tahoe or LA) I really wish I had the 100. Sure the 75 will get me there, but I'd feel more secure with the 100.

avesraggiana | 2018年3月1日

Yes.

peterlethbridge | 2018年3月2日

on an X get the largest battery you can afford, You'll be disappointed with the range otherwise.

oldxcskiguy | 2018年3月2日

Like others, I'd recommend using EV Trip Planner to run some trip scenarios comparing the X75 to the X100. It is much more accurate than the current version of the Navigator in the Tesla, especially in the winter. EV Trip Planner does not have the X100 listed as an option, but you can create a custom vehicle for the X100 based on the X75. I changed two parameters, the useable battery, 94000, and the watt hours per mile to 370 and then saved the custom vehicle as my X100. In real life on a very cold day at -10 degrees F, my average consumption can go as high as 450 wh/m driving at 65 mph. That reduces the total range of the X100 to less than 210 miles.

If you want to poke some fun at Tesla, try out Tesla's Go Anywhere website https://www.tesla.com/trips. First try going from Jackson WY, USA to Thermopolis, WY, USA in an X75. Their trip planner will show the trip as 30 hours, 1,363 miles. Now try it again with the X100. The trip will be 4 hours and 213 miles. I'm pretty sure Tesla's trip planner is based on ideal conditions, so take it with a grain of salt. I guarantee you a case of range anxiety trying to make the 209 mile trip in the X100 when the temperature is less than 10 degrees F.

smrdoc | 2018年3月2日

I say buy the bigger battery for sure. If you are on the fence it will always be in your mind. Remember that the amount of miles they rate the battery is under ideal conditions and traveling at highway speeds (above 60 in my experience) lowers the mileage so you don’t always get what the battery is rated at. Either way you will love the car. It is awesome.

kerrjohna | 2018年3月2日

Burdogg, I'm pretty sure I've been using evtripplanner for my MX75 out of Logan, UT on many if the same routes you drive. I've often thought that as Great Basin residents we should meet up sometime. Say Beaver supercharger?

burdogg | 2018年3月2日

kerrjohna - I actually live on western slope of Colorado :) We just have taken several trips in to UT :) I would love to meet up, but kind of far ... :)

That is interesting on the evtripplanner - I know the site is quirky as there were times in the past it wouldn't even come up for me. I wonder if it has a stored cache or something where I am getting an older version. I checked multiple times because many keep referring to it for the X and I can't find any except the P90D. I use Google Chrome. just tried it with Microsoft Edge and still got the same thing.
Here is what I see (all the models when you scroll up are all Model S, you can see the one Model X).
This is weird - I even just used my android phone and got the exact same thing. How are you all getting different Model X's? Did you custom make one?
https://imgur.com/a/y5pVL

kerrjohna | 2018年3月2日

The Great Basin extends to the western slope.

evplanner on my ipad and iphone: my cars>Model>ModelX>Energy>75kWh Battery

need to push save between pages.

burdogg | 2018年3月2日

hm, I don't have an apple product to check.

Interesting - you list my cars. The web based evtripplanner.com asks for EV Model - and inteh drop down box, it has ALL kinds, but only 1 X. They even have the Model 3 short range and Long range on there. This is bizarre.
Anyone else on a PC or Android seeing something different?

paul | 2018年3月2日

My theory on the battery is that while bigger is probably better... we *need* to stop every 2-3 hours or the kids go crazy in the back of the car. So the ½ hour stop for toilet/coffee/snack works well for us. We probably would still make the same stops even with a bigger battery.

So for the 2-3 times per year we do a really long trip - we probably wouldn't be quicker with a bigger battery. Hence I got the 75.

HOWEVER:
if you are somewhere cold... you really want to get the biggest possible battery thanks to the large drop in range in the cold.

khanhvn | 2018年3月2日

I live near Fremont and faced similar question. We make about 3 trips to LA/Tahoe each years. Here is my calculation.

With 75D, you need to make an extra charging stop each way compared to 100D, which cost you about 30 minutes, or 1 hour round trip.

Over the car life time, assuming 10 years, the total extra time we have to spend is:

10 years x 3 trips per year x 5 people x 1 hour = 150 man hours

The extra cost to upgrade to 100D is $16,000, so I'll have to pay more than $100 for each hour of time saving.

I went with 75D and did not regret :)

avesraggiana | 2018年3月2日

@oldxskicguy. Hahaha! Or try comparing the X75D and the X100D driving between San Diego CA and Arlington/Dallas TX. Taking the larger battery takes nine hours and several hundred miles less. Good to know since I'll be doing that very drive in some kind of Tesla within the next few years.

Ohmster | 2018年3月2日

@khanhvn nice. Factor in that many of us need bio/body breaks every 2.5 hours or so, and the cost per hour factor changes somewhat.

'17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.6.1. Grin on!

rohitgarewal | 2018年3月2日

One thing I sometimes forget but was a big decision when I chose the 100 over the 90 is that the difference is only 16K if you keep the car for ‘ever.’ Most people will keep the car for 4 years, or about 45-50% depreciation.

This means at most this will cost you $8K, and when you factor that larger battery, lower option cars have tended to hold their value better percentage wise, it may be closer to $7K. This means about $1250 a year. The peace of mind of being able to enjoy the acceleration, not worry about arriving to Tahoe on empty, and charging faster on road trip made that price worth it for me.

rohitgarewal | 2018年3月2日

I can’t seem to edit my last post. Bed forum posting on my iPhone, smh.

One thing I sometimes forgot but was a big factor when I chose the 100 over the 75 was that the difference in price between the two vehicles is 16K only if you keep the car for ‘ever.’ Most people will keep the car for 4 years, or about 45-50% depreciation.

This means at most the larger battery will cost you $8K, and when you factor that historically larger battery, lower option cars have tended to hold their value better (percentage wise), your price difference may be closer to $7k, or about $1250 a year.

The peace of mind of being able to enjoy the acceleration, not worry about arriving to Tahoe on empty, and charging faster on road trips made that price worth it for me.

patrice | 2018年3月3日

Daily commute of 30 km and occasional short trips (100-200 km) plus one or two extended trips / year (1000+ km) with a 75 and never had a problem. Sure it will "cost" you a few more charges but I regard those as welcome breaks, opportunities to connect with other drivers, respond to email and so on.
Note that we are lucky to have plenty of superchargers around starting with one 4 km down the road from us. I subscribe to other charging plans just in case and have free (albeit slow) charging where I park for work.

johnse | 2018年3月4日

I think one aspect of the decision is being missed. Even if you make the same Supercharger stops on a trip, the 100kWh will charge more quickly at every one of those stops.

The Supercharger restores 80% charge in 30 minutes. On the 75kWh, that’s 60kWh, vs 80kWh for the 100kWh battery.

So the 100 will get you on the road faster every time you stop.

dhealy6340 | 2018年3月6日

I am retired, no daily commutes to plan for, use the car for long trips.
I have a MS P100D rated range = 313 miles.
I charge to 80% (255 miles) then try to shoot for a buffer of 10-20% (30-60 miles).
That is an effective range of 200 miles without reducing long term battery life.
Go for the largest battery you can afford.