Forums

Pros and Cons for 18 or 19 inch wheel choices , my only hard decision

Pros and Cons for 18 or 19 inch wheel choices , my only hard decision

Ok I keep going back and forth on this. The extra money $1500 for the 19's plus extra cost down the road for tires being more expensive has me leaning back toward the 18 inch . The aero hubcaps look like they would break easily But I probably would only leave them on for long trips. Do the clips scratch the alloy wheels underneath when taken on and off numerous times? I read some of the stuff on the model S forum but since that is a different size car thought some things might be different with the 3 as far as how long tires last etc. If I buy the 18's is there any reason I couldn't go to 19's later if I wanted to, such as different suspension parts? It's hard to make a decision from just looking at the pictures. I would like to see both wheels in person. But the closest store is over a Hundred miles away. I may have to take that drive though. Anyone who has either of the wheel sizes I would like to know your opinions . Are you glad you chose what you did and why.

hannes | 2018年4月15日

An additional factor is that the 19" wheels seem to result in a *much* quicker delivery time.

wiboater4 | 2018年4月15日

You would think the 18 inch would be the more common choice.

Tesla-David | 2018年4月15日

We have the 19" wheels on our Silver M3, and absolutely love the way they look on our beautiful car. We get high fives from cars driving down the freeway, so obviously others like the way our car looks as well. While the 18" wheels are reported to be slightly more efficient than the 19" wheels, we are averaging around 215 wh/mi which is > 100 percent of rated mileage, so we would expect to get every bit of the 310 mile rated range with the Long range battery option.

nwfan | 2018年4月15日

Wow Tesla-David how are you getting 215 wh/mi? Today I drove my Model 3 - 75 miles on a interstate. Drove the speed limit of 70 mph. 95 percent AP. 6 to 7 mph winds and temp of 37.
A/C off. Drivers seat warmer on 1.
My average was 325 wh/mi with 19” wheels inflated to 42 psi.

How are you getting 215? Driving 40mph average? No temp control? No hard accerlation?
Mild temperatures?

nwfan | 2018年4月15日

I have 18” wheels as well. I’ll make a comparison after I finish breaking in the 19” wheels.

Anthonygonsalvesjr | 2018年4月15日

I love the look of my 19s. You’re spending close to $60k on a car, make sure you’re happy with it. IMO any difference in range is negligible. If there is a difference at all. And I have to think in a year you’ll be buying new aero caps when the originals inevitably break or else the clips do. They seem flimsy.

What you could do is use your 18s as snow tires (depending where you live) and use a 19 or 20 rest of the year.

I’ve seen both. To me the 19s look much nicer. But it’s subjective.

ryanselewicz | 2018年4月15日

I picked the 18" on my silver Model 3. It was an easy decision for me because I personally think they look better on the silver car. The fact that they cost less and improve energy efficiency made it even better. My delivery did take 7 weeks, though, so the 18" wheels seem to slow down delivery.

ravisundaramam | 2018年4月15日

@nwfan | April 15, 2018; @Tesla-David | April 15, 2018

I suspect it was a typo. Probably Tesla-David meant 315 wh/m

Teslaguy | 2018年4月15日

"I suspect it was a typo. Probably Tesla-David meant 315 wh/m"
I don't think so. Lots of M3 owners are reporting considerably less than 300. Much more efficient than a MS.

wiboater4 | 2018年4月15日

I love the look of my 19s. You’re spending close to $60k on a car, make sure you’re happy with it. IMO any difference in range is negligible. If there is a difference at all. And I have to think in a year you’ll be buying new aero caps when the originals inevitably break or else the clips do. They seem flimsy

The range is minor to me but I am concerned about the 19 inch wearing out faster and costing more to replace. What I don't want to end up doing is ordering 18's and then not being happy and spending extra later to get the 19 inch. The answers here are helping with the decision though.

wiboater4 | 2018年4月15日

Anthonygonsalvesjr Post above was reply to your post.

Your question sounds like it could be answered by math, assuming it’s one related to cost of maintenance and wear.

Do you know how much the tires costs retail? 18 inch and 19 inch? I really don’t know but would be interested too.

I’m also not sure how much more quickly 19s will wear over 18s — one additional set of tires over long term ownership?

PhillyGal | 2018年4月15日

I'm not in love with the look of the aero wheels but I'd choose them again every day.

On the MS, our 19" tires lasted us 50k miles. Folks I know with the 21s have had to replace at least twice as fast. Plus, the 21s don't ride as smooth and I live in pothole central. On the Model 3, the 18s have a similar profile as the MS 19s, and use the same make tire. Sold!

Sparky | 2018年4月15日

Buy the standard 18's and then get aftermarket 20's. In order to be cool you must suffer! :-)

johnmann | 2018年4月15日

I wish Tesla would offer 18 inch wheels in the style of the 19s.

MarylandS85 | 2018年4月15日

IMO the Aeros look better in person than you think they will. The 19’s are prettier, but not by as much as you’d think.

On our Model 3 with 18” tires, after about 800 miles, we’re averaging 215 Wh/mile in mostly mild weather with 50/50 climate control use and primarily around-town driving here in Maryland.

Uncle Paul | 2018年4月15日

The 19" look better. The 18" are better in every other aspect.

wiboater4 | 2018年4月15日

Ok so 50 K miles on a set of 19's sounds ok for me as far as wear. I read somewhere else the 19 inch tires are about $50 more per tire each but that isn't that much difference if your getting that many miles out of a set. I would think the handling would be more sport car like with the 19's.

The rims under the wheel covers on the 18's don't look that bad , and probably a softer ride, $1500 cheaper plus have the wheel covers for long trips.

MalibuRed | 2018年4月15日

Any current 3 owner know the avg miles on full charge any difference with 18 or 19? Major difference or slight?

mamafuzbot | 2018年4月15日

Like PhillyGal, I live in eastern PA. If you have any poor road considerations, the 18's will hold up much better. I've had everything from 16's to 18's and the smaller the tire, the less likely a pothole will ruin your day. Sometimes you just can't dodge them out here!

A 15 inch rim versus a 22 inch is one thing, but come on guys, the ride quality difference (noise, potholes, range, etc.) between 18 and 19 shouldn’t even be a talking point.

Breezy | 2018年4月15日

I have quite awhile to wait before configuring my M3. I would prefer the 19" wheels but am wondering if there would be a difference in the odometer and speedometer readouts between the two sizes or would the car be calibrated for these readouts after the car is configured and is in the manufacturing phase.

sroh | 2018年4月15日

@wiboater,
I can't speak from experience on these tires on this car, but 50K miles seems very optimistic.

sroh | 2018年4月15日

Breezy, no there won't be any difference in odometer and speedometer readings. The actual diameter of the tires on the wheels will be the same. If you get the 19" wheels, the tires will be lower profile. That results in the looks that many people prefer. It also results in faster tire wear and more likely damage to wheels if you hit a pothole.

cloudohana | 2018年4月15日

I went with 18" - More pothole friendly, range, the grey rims below, and the aero caps might save me from expensive curb rash when this will be our only car in a crowded, cold winter city for a few years.

Breezy | 2018年4月15日

Thanks to sroh. You have answered my question completely. Since my miles driven per year are minimal and there are very few potholes where I live in South Florida I will still go with the 19" wheels.

dgstan | 2018年4月15日

Here's what I envision would happen if/when I got the 18" wheels: Every time I walked up to the car and saw those ugly aero wheels, I would be reminded what a cheap SOB I am for not ponying up the extra $1500 for nice looking rims.

dfelton | 2018年4月16日

Here is what I experience after getting the 18” wheels: Every time I walk up to the car and see those aerodynamic caps I’m reminded that I was smart to have saved $1500, and keep saving due to improved range and the tires lasting longer. And I don’t think the Aeros are ugly at all ;)

dfelton | 2018年4月16日

Oh, and the Aeros are really easy to wash and keep clean

wiboater4 | 2018年4月16日

sroh | April 15, 2018
@wiboater,
I can't speak from experience on these tires on this car, but 50K miles seems very optimistic.

I was getting that from Philly Gal's post above with what they got with their model S 19 inch tires.

johnyi | 2018年4月16日

Good thread. I'm not an owner yet, but I did do some research to help me make this decision. The 18" will give you a bit more range, even without the covers. Up to you if that's important, especially with the ER battery. It will also be a softer ride, but probably not that noticeable. I think tire selection and psi will have bigger impact to ride. You'll also have less rim damage from curbs and potholes. The 19's will give you more responsive steering / sportier feel, but again tire selection will probably be even bigger factor. Looks are totally subjective of course, but wheels can make a big statement.

As for cost, I looked up the MXM4 (my favorite touring tire) which is available for both wheels (but comes standard only on the 18"). TireRack pricing for 18" is $275 per tire, 19" is $233. both have same treadwear rating / warranty. the 18" price actually looks high as I buy one size smaller for my hybrid's 18's and normally pay <$200, so I checked the Pirelli P7 which is $172 for 18" and $221 for 19". I would assume the 19" will cost a little more but I don't see any reason why the tread will go quicker on the same type tire.

sroh | 2018年4月16日

Thanks wiboater. PG certainly has tons of first hand knowledge, so definitely better than my general understanding. That is great news if we can expect 50K. In the grand scheme of things, the difference in price of 18 vs 19 inch tires over the life of the vehicle is immaterial. So I guess it comes down to the $1,500 and other benefits of the 18 inch tires versus the looks and slight better cornering of the 19s.

rmg007 | 2018年4月16日

As is typical, it appears people owners are defending/rationalizing their decision. Not one post from someone that states, "I got the 18's or 19's and don't like them. Wish I would've gotten the other size."

I have 21's on P85D and while I love the look and feel while driving, in hindsight I would save the $4,500 and get the 19's because those tires do wear out quicker and the pot holes and curbs do much more damage than they would to 19's.

I have 19's on the M3 because I prefer the look. I haven't driven an M3 with 18's so I can't comment on any difference in feel. BUT I can tell you potholes and curbs are not an issue with the 19's. I suspect range difference will be infinitesimal.

95dawg | 2018年4月16日

"Here's what I envision would happen if/when I got the 18" wheels: Every time I walked up to the car and saw those ugly aero wheels, I would be reminded what a cheap SOB I am for not ponying up the extra $1500 for nice looking rims."

Here's what I envision would happen if/when I got the 19" wheels: Every time I walked up to the car and saw those larger wheels, I would be reminded what superficial SOB I am for ponying up the extra $1500 just for rims/tires.

A 15 inch rim versus a 22 inch is one thing, but come on guys, the performance difference between 18 and 19 shouldn’t even be a talking point.

Tesla-David | 2018年4月16日

@ravisundaramam & @nwfan, no typo, we are routinely getting between 200 - 225 wh/mi for drives in our M3, averaging close to 215 wh/mi, which includes a mix of freeway driving and local driving. On a drive this past Saturday in a heavy downpour the efficiency dropped to 254 wh/mi due to the wet pavement and rain/wind. I tend to opt for seat heaters versus turning the heater on as they work well with the well insulated cabin of our M3. I admit I try to drive efficiently and limit my over zealous acceleration, but still love to push the go pedal at lights, enjoying the sight of cars way back due to the instantaneous torque. We also have an S85D and have averaged 298 wh/mi in that vehicle over the past 2.5 years.

wiboater4 | 2018年4月16日

From reading these posts I am thinking I am going to get the 18 inch. It would be different if the wheel under the hubcaps didn't look as good as it does. But because I don't see a lot of difference other than the price.The 19's do look nicer though. I think the 18's win out overall. One other thing , those Aero wheels are going to attract attention to the car. I wish they were made out of something other than plastic though. Mine will probably be off the car most of the time. Thanks for all the info and opinions!

timc.jb | 2018年4月16日

Got the stock 18 on my blue model 3. Delivery date is set for 4/26 so still waiting for it.. Going with tsportline to replace the 18 inch wheels because I wanted 18 inch flow forged turbines. Supposed to be lighter and I like the look of the turbines more than the stilettos. Estimated delivery from tsportsline is next month and I can't wait to put on the new rims. I'm almost embarrassed to drive the 18 stock around.

ericshchu | 2018年4月22日

Anyone has data on ride comfort and noise difference between 18" vs. 19"? That's my primary interest.

cascadiadesign | 2018年4月22日

Search YouTube for: 2017 Tesla Model 3 | Track Test Update | Edmunds

Test track comparison between Tesla Model 3 18" vs 19" wheels.

Video convinced me to go for the 19"

FifthOnLeft | 2018年4月22日

@cascadiadesign: ditto for me. I'm sold on the shorter braking distance on the 19" tires. Silver wheels would look better with red on my wife's Model 3.

Atoms | 2018年4月22日

I’m looking at cars more and more comparing to the TM3. Everyone has similar designs and wheels these days. When cars are moving you can’t see the wheel spikes and this is what cars are for, moving. I now like the TM3 design because it stands out and looks great. Cars now have so many dodads all over to make them look fancy, it is actually distractive from the design. The glass abutting glass sides and top is very unique and looks great. Every car out there uses the same black mating piece between the side windows, it looks like they are made by the same manufacturer. Actually most cars today look like they were all made by the same company. Glad that Tesla is taking the bold lead with simplicity. Several years ago I test drove a Honda Accord and decided it was not for me because of the excessively flashy dashboard.
The same with the wheels, simple is best and the aero wheels look good.

Finoguy | 2018年4月22日

@ericshchu - I don’t have hard data on 19 v 18, But was also concerned about road comfort—ultimately picked 19’s —got the car Thursday/over 200 miles on it already and totally no regrets! Ride is great, and love the look (got a blue).

ericshchu | 2018年4月22日

Thanks for all the responses. I did watch the YouTube video on how 19" provides better performance which is expected. However, I've also read in a few places on M3 ride/noise concerns. That's why I'm focused my question on the ride comfort and noise aspects. At least there's now one positive data point on ride. Hope other owners of 18" or 19" can also chime in.

Ryan.lippa | 2018年7月19日

Aside from the rims is the tires themselves upgraded? Just wondering what makes them “sport” tires. Thanks in advance.

voytres | 2018年7月19日

@Ryan.lippa

- better acceleration
- reduced stopping distance
- improved cornering grip

jjt2122 | 2018年7月20日

I ordered my M3 with sport wheels on 7/18/18 with RWD, it’s worth having Tesla do everything for you.

My thoughts are, if u wanna save money and don’t care what the wheels look like, then get the Aeros.

Also, if u are gonna get the Aeros and change the wheels later down the road, and if u want bigger rims, you are gonna need to buy another set of tires and the wheels which will more likely come out around $1000 to $1200 depending on the brand of wheel and tires I buy.

I don’t wanna go through the hassle of finding rims and tires. I just wanna drive my car from Tesla without having to do anything to the car.

jjt2122 | 2018年7月20日

*Depending on the brand of wheels and tires you buy

wiboater4 | 2018年7月20日

When it finally came down to time to configure I ended up going with the 19 inch for the looks and handling.

Pxgardiner | 2018年7月20日

I ordered the 19" wheels - they look a lot nicer. I'm going to order a set of aeros as well for the winter. If I bought the aeros with the car and got after-market wheels for summer, I would have to replace the aeros' all seasons with new winter tires - not worth it.

Manjushr | 2018年7月20日

215 Wh/mile in EV is not hard to do in summer. that's around 4.65mi / kWh.

- try to keep in 55-60 mph on the interstate. l
- learn to regen.

Pages