Forums

$4,000 extended warranty worth it?

$4,000 extended warranty worth it?

I'm just under 50,000 miles on my 2013 Model S 85 and I understand I can buy the extended warranty for $4,000 that essentially extends the new car warranty to 100,000 miles. Has anyone researched this? It's a little pricey at $4,000 so it's causing me to pause. I plan to keep the car at least one more year and I haven't had any problems with it at all except for having to replace the 12 volt battery.

Any input would be appreciated.

christurbeville | 2015年10月20日

It is if you as CR:) Seriously as complex and new as the MS is 1k/yr to not worry about the many $$$ parts was a no brainer for me but mines a 2013 I plan to keep till it dies. 4k for 1 yr may be worth the gamble of not getting it.

christurbeville | 2015年10月20日

*ask*

jordanrichard | 2015年10月20日

Keep in mind, that your battery and drive unit will be under warranty until 2021, as is.

bak_phy | 2015年10月20日

If I remember correctly the extended warranty is transferable to the new owner. If you don't have it you may have a harder time selling the car since new owner can't purchase it.

Emobile | 2015年10月20日

As complex as this car is, which such elaborate things as the pop-out door handles and such. I think $4000 for an additional 50,000 mile warranty is cheap.

PTP | 2015年10月20日

question is whether/when the price changes. I have about 3 years before I get to the need for the extended warranty. If I foresee keeping the car beyond then, I should probably buy the extended warranty now... likely will be more expensive 3 years from now. prices for these things never go down, only up

tes-s | 2015年10月20日

I hit 50,000 in 2 years. I decided to pass on the $4000 for another 2 years, especially since the battery and drive unit are already covered.

With the extended warranty isn't there a charge for each fix - maybe $200?

johncrab | 2015年10月20日

I think it's dirt cheap and we plan on buying it for both of our cars. As complex as the Model S is, a computer failure could easily eat up that amount and then some. Today it's not only car parts which are expensive, but there is the labor. If a lot of hours are required to get at a part to replace it, it can get spendy in a hurry at $175/hr. This is also a Tesla policy not a third party policy sold by a dealer which is a PITA (I know form experience).

johncrab | 2015年10月20日

Just as an FYI and this may not affect everyone, I searched for extended warranty info and the site gave me an error box which said to call Tesla, but below said no plans were available for my state. Just to clarify I called and the extended warranty is $4k, definitely available even here in the elephant graveyard and must be added before reaching 4 years or 50k miles.

williamweiss21 | 2015年10月20日

I got it and yes, it's worth it.
September 2013 P85, 76K miles, Metro NY, gone through 2 battery packs, 2 axles, just had the drive unit replaced. Several door handles have failed and a front wishbone bushing needed replacement. I have no complaints as the service to fix was excellent.

The $4,000 is the cost of Beta-Testing a 1st gen car...

vbianco | 2015年10月21日

Thanks everyone for the input. It was very helpful. Spoke with my wife and we decided we probably keep the car longer than a year. So we will be purchasing the warranty.

Haggy | 2015年10月21日

It's a tough question. I'd say it's anything but cheap because it's far more than I spend on any other car to fix things out of warranty. But it may be necessary given Tesla's less than stellar reliability.

tes-s | 2015年10月21日

September 2013 P85, 76K miles, Metro NY, gone through 2 battery packs, 2 axles, just had the drive unit replaced. Several door handles have failed and a front wishbone bushing needed replacement. I have no complaints as the service to fix was excellent.

Maybe Consumer Reports got it right?

stevenmaifert | 2015年10月21日

It's actually an Extended Service Agreement not an Extended Warranty. There is a legal difference. Anyway, my Model S was delivered in Dec. 2012. At that time, Model S was too new to have any data available on the reliability. I paid $2500 for the ESA which was the going price at the time. I think of it like an insurance policy. I hope I don't have to use it but any covered repair is only going to cost me the $200 deductible and if the part fails again, the repair is free. ESAs get mixed reviews as to whether they are worth it, but for me, the additional piece of mind was worth the price.

rxlawdude | 2015年10月21日

@stevenmaifert is correct that the Extended Service Agreement is NOT an extended warranty. The latter is covered by myriad consumer protections, the former is a CONTRACT between the owner and Tesla.

Of note: be aware that under the ESA terms, you must have serviced your vehicle by Tesla on the 12,500 mile/1 year (whichever comes first) schedule, and you must continue to do so during the time that the ESA is in effect.

I know others claim that Tesla ignores this provision (though it varies from Service Center to Service Center, and even between employees at a given Service Center).

Caveat emptor!

stevenmaifert | 2015年10月21日

@rxlawdude - Thank you for explaining the difference before someone asked. As for the last part, Tesla has been good about doing warranty repairs even if you don't follow their recommended maintenance schedule. No one has yet reached the four year point where the provisions of the ESA would begin, but as you pointed out, the ESA is a contract not a warranty so if you don't follow the ESA terms regarding service intervals, Tesla is under no obligation that I know of to repair the car charging only the $200 deductible. Quoting "The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla."

socaliguy81 | 2018年10月27日

Wait, I was told that I could extend my CPO warranty for $4,000 when it expired, giving me another 4-years/50k miles of coverage. After reading this, it seems that they cap the mileage at 100k??? I'm going to be pissed if that is the case.

Bill_75D | 2018年10月27日

Sorry you are going to be pissed. You didn't buy it, did you?

kerryglittle | 2018年10月28日

One guaranteed thing about warranties is if you buy it you wont need it. If you don't buy it sure enough you will need it. I have gotten screwed on enough warranties though so not a big fan of them. The last place that suckered me into a lifetime warranty went out of business a few months after they sold it to me. Bye bye money and service.

Mathew98 | 2018年10月28日

@Kerry - I have a killer dealnforball inclusive lifetime warranty for you. It only covers your driving between November and March each year...

PBEndo | 2018年10月28日

@kerry
I think I have a solution. You buy a warranty for me and I'll buy one for you. Since neither of us bought a warranty for ourselves, that guarantees we we"ll each need it, but we will also each have it. It's all done with mirrors.

gregpulvori | 2018年10月28日

It's a tough question. I'd say it's anything but cheap because it's far more than I spend on any other car to fix things out of warranty. But it may be necessary given Tesla's less than stellar reliability.
https://fetlife.vip/
https://downloader.vip/imvu/
https://downloader.vip/canva/

kerryglittle | 2018年10月28日

You guys. LMAO.