I FINALLY got to pick up my Silver Model 3 yesterday so this my experience. Warning: it's pretty much 100% positive with some first takes and observations, so if you are looking for drama it will disappoint.
Ordered - 3/31/16 Online
Configured - 4/18/18
VIN - 0316XX (4/24/18 charger checkout)
Delivery - 6/15/18
Previous Owner - No
Location - Oklahoma City, OK
Car - Silver, Aero, NO EAP
Delivery Location: Tesla Service Center, Cedar Spring Rd, Dallas, TX
- Delivery wait was frustrating due to OK and TX rules and very poor/slow communication from my DS in Las Vegas
- Was originally scheduled for 06/19 but because my DS wouldn’t reply, I called the service center directly a week early, confirmed my car was there and they rescheduled me for 06/15
- 06/12 call from a technician that my car passed delivery inspection, but VIN was already flagged by factory for a drive unit replacement, they were looking one but may delay delivery
- 06/13 call from same technician confirming they found the part and were on track to make my delivery for 06/15
- 06/15 received FedEx packet with temp tag and (mileage?) confirmation document in time to rent a car and drive 3.5hrs to Dallas for delivery
Delivery Experience: AMAZING!
- Had 5pm delivery. I was worried everyone would be tired and ready to go home, but the entire team (Hilary, James, and others) were friendly, energetic and helpful. They seemed truly excited for the 4 of us taking delivery, and if they didn’t know the answer to a question was quick to say “I’m not sure, let me find out”
- Model car (red) was in center console.
- Car was charged enough to get me all the way home.
- Had plenty of time to ask questions, and set everything up, didn’t feel rushed.
- The whole time there was so smooth, I was sure I was missing something, but they helped me get all set up and sent me on my way.
- Only bummer: I was expecting to be able to see/buy some accessories but they didn’t have any. I had to get online and order 2 charging adapters (for our parent’s homes), and another lightning cable.
First Drive Experience:
- Almost everything is amazing as everyone here already knows, so I’ll just mention a few surprises I had.
- To get to Dallas we had to do a one-way rental in a Hyundai Sante Fe, going directly from that to M3 was charring to say the least. It would be hard to overstate how otherworldly it feels to sit in such a ‘simplified’ car; our first reaction was “why is every other car so complicated!?!”
- Regenerative breaking woah! Even after reading about this and watching videos, my wife and I were not prepared. Still trying to get used to it. We are taking other’s advise on settings and embracing the default settings.
- However irrational it may be, range anxiety is real. Navigating to our next charging station was great at easing the tension. I’m sure we’ll look back and laugh at this soon.
- Rearview mirror autodimming is a massive oversight. Sensitive eyes + small car + big trucks + night = useless rearview mirror. Good news is the backup camera, and the sensors, so once I trust them more, maybe I’ll feel better about it.
- We are constantly worried the car isn’t off/hasn’t locked so we double check the app. This is easier at night when we can clearly see it ‘shutdown’.
- Used first supercharger on drive home (just for fun). Totally easy. Met a nice couple in a Model S and chatted while our cars charged.
- The iPhone app, sound system, driver profiles, cruise control, interior space, have all exceeded expectations.
Overall 2.5yr wait was hard, but totally worth it. Feels like it’s still 4-5yrs ahead of any other car.
Tried to be concise. But feel free to ask questions. Especially if you had the same delivery center or are from Oklahoma (there are few of us)!