Forums

Tinting Windows

Tinting Windows

Hello fellow Model 3 owners. Has anyone tinted their windows? And if you did, how is it looking and feeling?
Thanks.

agdaiana | 2018年8月13日

Hello fellow Model 3 owners. Has anyone tinted their windows? And if you did, how is it looking and feeling?

Tyme Traveller | 2018年8月13日

Yes, I have 30% (blocks 70% of light) and rejects 56% of heat. I am on my first road trip now and tint is fine.

agdaiana | 2018年8月13日

Awesome. Thank you.

hd121308 | 2018年8月13日

20% back, 40% front. Looks great and helps with heat rejection while driving but will still get hot 110F inside on a hot day in the sun.

skepv2 | 2018年8月13日

I'm scheduled to get tinted this Wednesday. Undecided on if I want the rear window to stop at the factory tint line or go all the way up.
My concern is it'll darken the roof too much and my daughter won't be able to look at the sky as I drive. And if I don't do full window, will it look ugly with the random stop of coverage.

RES IPSA | 2018年8月13日

I used a medium priced ceramic tint. It cost me $550 to do all 6 side windows in 45% and 70% on the windshield. Heat rejection is noticeable and effective (not to mention blocking 99% of the UV rays) I did not do the roof sections as I have not found a need to do it. Even in the hot San Diego sun at 2 pm, the roof is still slightly warm to touch on the inside. Factory tint on the roof is acceptable to me so far.

I also wrapped the center console with satin black vinyl (PPF film works well too). That was only $80 total. Protects the center console and stops the ugly finerprints

mattdomingo | 2018年8月13日

also some that have darkened the roof / already darkened glass have had it crack, trapped heat, too much tint in glass

mattdomingo | 2018年8月13日

also some that have darkened the roof / already darkened glass have had it crack, trapped heat, too much tint in glass

skepv2 | 2018年8月13日

That's another concern!

RES IPSA | 2018年8月13日

@ matt: Glad I did not tint the roof.. what wants a cracked roof. That sucks.

Another note: make sure the tint installer properly protects the computer that is under the dashboard. Apparently people have had serious damage shortly after tinting the windshield. The company I used said the first Model 3 they did back in January got damaged because they were not aware that water during install would flow directly to the computer under the dash. Since their expensive mistake, they now full protect the computer before install. Make sure to raise that issue with your tint installer

In my opinion, there are a few minor design flaws with the Model 3 (cell phone charging tray, etc.) But I think Tesla got it perfect with the roof tint. Looks so perfect in sunlight while driving and looking up. Have not felt any heat coming through the roof.

sroh | 2018年8月13日

20s across the back and 35s in the front. That's what I've always done to all my cars. I love the look and I love the heat rejection. Rear covered fully. I cringe when I see photos of the ones going up halfway, but that is an individual aesthetic thing. That would be a non-starter for me, but some are perfectly fine with it. Visibility is fine through the roof.

Pkalhan | 2018年8月13日

wait, tinting the roof/back will cause it to crack? why or how does that happen?

SpinWarp | 2018年8月13日

Talked to a shop today that flat-out refused to tint the upper dark portion of my M3 back window. I thought they were joking at first because I’ve read reviews by others that have had their M3s tinted at this place, including full rear coverage. It’s a reputable shop, is literally in the building next door to the Tesla delivery center and is tinting/wrapping 3-4 Teslas a week. Although until recently they have been tinting the entire back window with a single sheet, they’ve stopped. They claim to have gotten messenging from Tesla about the risk of cracking and said that they walked over to the delivery center to discuss in person with the folks at the Tesla. As a result, they decided that they will no longer do full rear coverage. And I read on another forum that a reputable shop in CA (I think it was CA) had stopped full rear tinting, but is now doing so again after making the client sign a waiver that they won’t hold the shop responsible for cracked glass.

@neophyte: Great idea re: console. I’m a little concerned about how it would look around the cup holders. How’d it turn out? I may add consle to the tint/wrap I’m planning to schedule.

RES IPSA | 2018年8月13日

@SpinWarp... It looks OEM... looks flawless. That is why I had the tint place do it. I really wanted PPF (Xpel Stealth) material on the center console, but the shop told me that the thickness of the PPF doesn't allow them to cover up the full edges and small ends of the panels. I told them RPM Tesla online shows videos of it being installed covering all of the piano black center console pieces, but the shop told me that the video doesn't show a few months down the road when it peels up. So I chose the satin black vinyl which covers up all of the piano black pieces of the center console and it looks great. Significant reduction in fingerprints and good protection. Easy to wipe up.

sroh | 2018年8月13日

@SpinWarp,
That is very interesting. Until your post, I don't think I've read or heard anywhere that Tesla is explicitly saying not to tint the rear window.

electricky | 2018年8月13日

I contacted Tesla about tinting the rear window and this is what they said:

"While checking on the tinting, it can void the warranty if it has a film on it. The reason is that the Model 3 already has a partially pre-tinted window. The windows are tinted to the maximum solar absorption and may crack and break after installation."

So I'm skipping out on the rear window tint and only getting the sides done next week.

@EV neophyte My installer did wrap in XPEL Stealth and it looks awesome. I'll try and report back in a month or two if it peels. As far as the wrap around the edges, they wrapped the XPEL right up to the edge and I mean exactly up to the edge. Can't even tell on the cup holders.

sroh | 2018年8月13日

I'm not sure I buy it. Sure, there have been a few scattered complaints about the roof glass cracking. But how many living in FL, AZ, TX, CA, HI, etc. have tinted the rear glass? Ours was tinted at 20% in April and we haven't had any issues. To be fair, we keep ours in the garage at home and in a covered lot at work most of the time.

As for what Tesla is saying, I guess it makes sense they are going to be conservative and recommend against it.

SpinWarp | 2018年8月14日

@EV neophyte/electrick: Thanks for the feedback. Definitely adding console to the list.

@sroh: Agree re: Tesla being conservative. Since I’m still pre-tint, I’ve been reading a lot about it and sounds like the vast majority of shops are still doing full rear coverage. And probably will continue to do so until someone comes back with a crack (which will likely never happen). Just to complicate things, there are at least two threads over at M3OC re: folks having rear cracked glass at delivery and debating whether it represents a quality issue. Obviously, cracked at delivery = Tesla problem. If the glass decides to crack a month later after the owner tints it, the Tesla response seems pretty obvious. Nevertheless, I would guess that very few owners will have problems with rear cracking either before or after tint.

RES IPSA | 2018年8月14日

@Electrick... My installer said he would put the PPF right up to the edges to avoid any peeling. I just didn't want that look. I can't stand the piano black the car came with and just wanted as much of it as gone as possible. I may regret it if the satin black vinyl I put on gets marked up. If so, I guess I will spend $80 more to get the PPF put on it. But I am careful in my car and I don't have kids. I have an old Prius that is my "dog / Home Depot car"