Forums

Supercharger price vs real kW output

Supercharger price vs real kW output

Hello friends,

I have a concern about the price we pay at superchargers in winter time. When I charge at a supercharger and it’s cold outside (below freezing point) I noticed the kW that’s supplied to my car is low close to 40 kW/h. The thing is I still pay 0,20$/minute and charging takes longer so I pay more for less power!!! So driving Quebec-Mtl-Quebec cost me almost the same then my wife ICE Corolla!!!! Tesla should have 3 price range High rate, mid rate and low rate in order to really make sense. Or Tesla should revise price for winter, I feel I pay more for something I don’t even get. It says 120kW on the supercharger but only get 1/3 but same fee...something feels fishy about the fee rate vs real power delivered to the car. Any others have noticed???

TM3Q | 2018年12月10日

I forgot to say I live in Quebec city, Canada so the amount are in CAD. It’s pretty cold theses days :-)

Bighorn | 2018年12月10日

There’s two tier pricing in the US with the rate halving below 60 kW.

gmr6415 | 2018年12月10日

I can't speak for Quebec, but in the US those superchargers that charge by the minute, cut the rate in half if the charge rate is 60 kW or lower.

"When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”."

"Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2."

Bighorn | 2018年12月10日

You are making the mistake of charging cold. Physics of the BMS. Charge smarter.

gmr6415 | 2018年12月10日

Here is a link that shows the charging rate in Quebec is also tiered. $0.26 per minute above for tier 2, $0.13 per minute for tier 1.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/canadian-tesla-supercharging-price-list/

jithesh | 2018年12月10日

I live in MA, US and here they charge for KWh which is much simpler. The reason they charge per min is because the local laws do not permit them to sell electricity by KWh since Tesla is not considered energy company by them. Talk to your government to change the laws if you do not like per min costing.

Read this link for more information - https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

dsvick | 2018年12月10日

Is supercharging your only charging option? If so then, yes, you're going to take a hit if you drive to a short distance to a charger in order to charge your car. With normal use though (on a trip) you should be arriving at a charger with an already warmed battery and not suffer any reduction in rate. As Bighorn said, unless it's your only option, charge smarter by timing them to arrive with an already warmed battery..

ICEMELT | 2018年12月10日

@Bighorn.. so heat up the car before charging?

Bighorn | 2018年12月10日

Yes

Bighorn | 2018年12月10日

If you arrive in January cold, it might only be a couple kWs for an hour while the battery warms. Lithium batteries can not receive a charge if they are at 32 degrees, 0 degrees Canadien. Ask any long term owner about their one, and only, cold soaked charging experience.

TM3Q | 2018年12月10日

I live in North East of Canada so the temperature could go as cold as -30 C or -22 F. My car was warm after driving for 2 hours on higway but outside temperature was -14 C or 7 F so I guess it was cold enough outside to affect my battery rate charge. What I’m saying is the rate should be revised as what really goes to the car is less because of harsh winter. I have no choice to use supercharger as my battery range is greatly affected by freezing cold and my range is reduced by almost 150 km or almost 100 miles. I have LR AWD. Thanks for the info about selling by the minute instead of kW/h I understand why now they are doing it this way but should at least revise the rate fee for our winters?

jithesh | 2018年12月10日

@Bighorn thanks for the tip. I had also experienced a bit slow charging at supercharging during cold days.

So just heating up the car using car heater also warms up the battery ? Would a short drive also warm up the battery ?