Forums

-24C/-11F this morning...pretty cold so this was a good test for my M3

-24C/-11F this morning...pretty cold so this was a good test for my M3

This morning I woke up late so only had 15 to warm the car and the snow flake icon was showing on my battery. After 15 min warming I could open 3 out of my 4 doors (only rear passenger side frozen) wich is pretty good for this kind of weather.

After driving my daily 15 miles it used around 50 miles of battery autonomy. At one point I was using 700W/kM but went down to give or take 480W/kM. When I arrived at work the snow flake icon was still ON which I guess means the battery was still warming up (after 30 min driving kn traffic).

I had to lower the ventillation speed and set to max temp in order to warm the inside and use seat heater to help me keep warm as the interior temps was around 17C/63F for a while before finally having the sun help to warm faster the car.

Whould be great to have a pre-timer setting to warm the car in advance!!! Tomorow will make sure I warm the car for at least 45 min before leaving :-)

Cheers

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

I forgot to write the wattage per miles conversion so 1120W/Miles (700W/kM) and 768W/Miles (480W/Miles)

dsvick | 2018年12月13日

What's "battery autonomy"? :)

M3BlueGeorgia | 2018年12月13日

Warming the car interior doesn't seem to do much for the battery.

Sounds like you need to pump a bit of extra charge into the battery just before you leave, though that's a manual process which can be done through your phone.

Ex: Charge up to 80% overnight - Raise charge target to 85% while having breakfast and initiate another charge.
Then drop charge level back to 80%, ready for the next night.

MichaelB00012 | 2018年12月13日

@M3Blue - Or, just set it to start charging later so that it's still charging / just finished at about the time s/he needs to leave for work.

Bighorn | 2018年12月13日

Sounds about right.
Warm up takes more than 50 miles in those cases.

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

@dsvick haha I was talking about the range :-)

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

@M3BlueGeorgia I normally start charging again when I heat the car when it’s pretty cold, after 35-45 min the snow icon normally disapear. But never had this cold weather with my M3 so far, tomorow will test how long it will take.

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

@MichaelB00012 Since I got a recent electricity blackout I always charge the car as soon as I park it so I am sure to have the most charging possible in an event of blackout.

ajbutler45 | 2018年12月13日

@TM3Q Good write up will watch for your updates. Living in Minnesota here so have cold weather just not that cold yet. Lowest I have seen in my M3 was 8 deg. Not nearly the loss you saw this morning. Last year I rented a Model S and it was minus 8 to 3 all day and saw about 30% loss. Keep up the reports!

wiboater4 | 2018年12月13日

ajbutler45 The model S and X both have battery warmers . The model 3 is different . From what I understand it uses heat from electronics and motors etc. I have just been preheating the cabin . I didn't know about that suggestion to initiate a charge before using the car. I'm thinking they must maybe run the motors or something like that to heat the battery when the car is sitting in the cold idle. Anyone know for sure how it works on the 3?

ron | 2018年12月13日

You can use Teslifi schedules to kick off commands to do the main charge, warm cabin, and a pre-drive charge.

Although we live in Houston we use it daily for main charge and cabin conditioning. We use for the pre-conditioning the cabin on a schedule before the trip home when unplugged as well. USes very little Kw for AC.

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

@ron Is that available in the car? Or it's an app? I noticed a few app in apple store but not sure if it's safe. So far I only use Tesla app.

TM3Q | 2018年12月13日

I came back home and it's sunny and warmer around -8C/18F. The snow flake icon was ON when I left and still ON when I arrived. Was easy to warm inside the car because of the nice sun and warmer temp :-)

Based on my energy average analyser I can say I was using 55% more to drive the car while it was heating the battery in first miles. More the battery was getting warmer and more battery capacity was unlocking while driving meaning less overall depletion because of capacity recovering. When I arrived after just 20 min drive I was using 45% more energy compared to the 55% at beggining. For those who didn't know, the battery capacity in cold temperature is less avalaible but not loss, so when temperature goes up the capacity becomes more available.

Last month I had 218 miles of real mileage for 308 miles battery 100% charge, temp was cold but not as cold as theses last days. Wich translate to 34% more energy needed to heat etc for last month.

What would be nice is to have the battery temperature indicator so I can easily plan my travelling in extreme cold weather.

Oh by the way you loose acceleration because of the cold battery....less peek amperage available to the motors!!!

@ajbutler45 Yes I will carry on with more details when more bad weather comes :-)

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

Good morning to all,

Yesterday I had a new update 2018.48.1 installed

This morning it was -7C/19F and no snow icon flake and 70% battery. I warm the car for 40 min at max heat/speed and start a recharge to get close to 80%.

The car was nicely hot when I left for work and something different today wich I never seen, while driving at 35 miles/h the consumption was 1 for 1 or even better at some point at 1 for 1.2 wich means I got 20% more mileages wow but hummm was this because the car was hot and because of new software update???

Anyway at higher speed 50miles/h I got 0.8 for 1 wich means I was using only 20% more energy wich is pretty good for winter. The way I calculated was I look at battery mileage dropping vs mileage done by the car.

Anyway the real test will be on Monday as I will be driving north and for 60 miles distances and see what ratio I will get.

So far looking promising.

Have a great weekend my Tesla friends :-)

Bighorn | 2018年12月14日

@TM3Q
It was because of your change in regimen. Heating the battery/car makes all the difference.

HughManatee | 2018年12月14日

What i really wish is for scheduled charging we could set when we want it to be DONE, not when we want it to START. I charge with a whole bunch of different battery levels, and i hate modifying the scheduled charge every time i leave the car. Just have the dang thing finish every day when i leave for work, regardless of charge level. I also have reduced rated from 9pm-9am, and would love to be able to tell it to never charge after 9am when at home.

noleaf4me | 2018年12月14日

Move someplace warmer ;-)

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@bighorn yes I agree 100%.....I work in this field lol

@noleaf4me Humm I will wait for next summer to enjoy better weather :-)

jdirik | 2018年12月14日

That is cold OP!

the_real_fatp | 2018年12月14日
TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@the_real_fatp Wow that sucks!!! When I saw the paperwork in the glove compartment it’s from my Province haha so I should be careful also. Funny last week I saw a little mice crossing my street. Never could I imagine doing that much damage theses little beast.

cafutter | 2018年12月14日

I must have been under a misconception. The implications I am getting from this is that if you warm up the car before going to the car, the energy comes from the battery. I just assumed it came from the wall. Or is it that there is more energy available if the battery is charging?

Jlomb436 | 2018年12月14日

Holy cow. How do you guys do it? It was 81 here yesterday in Southern California on the coast.

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@cafutter When I leave from home it’s plugged in my Tesla charger 240V maximum 48 amps (breaker at 60A)

So the car only use the house electricity. I also charge in the same time if it’s freezing temperature -10C/14F or colder. If I see a snow flake icon on the battery I recharge while heating to maximaze battery chemical heat with battery fluid heater.

From work I can’t charge it so I heat it only.

The incovenient to have a cold battery beside having less capacity available is also no more acceleration because less peek amperage is available until battery warm up.

@TM3Q And way more less brake regen...this is getting dangerous sometimes when you think that your car will brake but no !

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@Jlomb436 haha yes it’s cold and I hate winter lol How do we do it? Well I was born here so I just adapt haha but at least now I have a new toy to enjoy my winters! Thanks to Tesla :-)

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@the_real_fatp Since I warm the car never had issue about regen because I leave it at high regen and sometimes I even have to put low regen if it’s too slippery because it brakes too much while I release the acceleration pedal

@the_real_fatp ok, weird, mine is always doing this event after 1h of charging. Are you at 450km every morning? Maybe its another issue that Tesla Montreal need to take car of...

Baltfan | 2018年12月14日

HughManatee | December 14, 2018
What i really wish is for scheduled charging we could set when we want it to be DONE, not when we want it to START. I charge with a whole bunch of different battery levels, and i hate modifying the scheduled charge every time i leave the car. Just have the dang thing finish every day when i leave for work, regardless of charge level. I also have reduced rated from 9pm-9am, and would love to be able to tell it to never charge after 9am when at home.

Elon was asked about this on Twitter recently. He said that they would look into this. Can't find the Tweet though.

TM3Q | 2018年12月14日

@the_real_fatp I charge up to 350km and in the morning if it’s freezing outside I recharge a bit but normally I charge at 70% because I don’t need more. Only when I plan to leave the city I charge to 100%

Bighorn | 2018年12月14日

Request for charge completion time has been out there for 5+ years.

finman100 | 2018年12月14日

How hard can this be? Even in Leaf-land, Nissan has this figured.

Was a nice feature for me as I all-too-frequently had to charge to 100% to START my day/travels and it was nice to set the finish time such that I drove the car as soon as possible with limited time spent sitting at 100%.

Not the case with triple digit range in my model 3. Still, it would be nice.

tucsonsims | 2018年12月14日

@HughManatee

"What i really wish is for scheduled charging we could set when we want it to be DONE, not when we want it to START"

What I do in these situations is reduce the current limit on the charge screen until you reach the target finish time. In other words if I plug in at 8:00 pm and I want the car to be done charging at 6:00 am, I dial down the charge current until the estimated charge time is 10 hours.