Forums

MS & MX ONBOARD CHARGER QUIETLY REDUCED TO 48A MAX LATE 2018

MS & MX ONBOARD CHARGER QUIETLY REDUCED TO 48A MAX LATE 2018

I ordered our first 2018 MX 100D in mid July and picked it up on 08.30.2018. It had a 72A onboard AC charger, charged at about 45 MPH. This was already a downgrade from my 2015 MS 85D with dual charger which charged at 80A, or 59-60 MPH.

We just picked up our second 2018 MX 100D on 12.18.2018. Lo and behold, I plug in and won't charge past 48A. I was blindsided by this downgrade. I thought there was something wrong, and there is no information on this, but here is the proof on Tesla's website, "Model S 75D, 100D, P100D, Model X 75D, 100D, P100D" all show 48A:

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger

This page used to state MS and MX 75D: 48A; 100D and P100D: 72A.

So now due to the accident which wasn't even my fault, I've now lost free lifetime supercharging AND the 72A charger. WTH?!?

evlnte | 2018年12月20日

I just tried to order my own Model X and it seems that I can’t have supercharging for myself or even the a high amp charger. So as an early owner and someone who paid a significant amount to install an 80 amp circuit at home, my reward is what exactly? A swift kick in the ass!

I wouldn’t recommend Tesla to anyone any longer.
Thanks for nothing. Already sold my Model X and selling Model S next year at the earliest opportunity. I’m done with this company.

davidahn | 2018年12月20日

Easy there, evlnte, I'm not happy about this change either, but I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water! I'm in the same boat as far as installing the 80A circuit, but there are still benefits even if you only have 48A vehicles, because you can daisy-chain up to 4 wall chargers so you don't have to unplug and plug stuff, you can simply schedule each vehicle to charge at its own dedicated wall charger.

I've reached out to my OA (owner advisor), waiting to hear back to see if it was a simple oversight. Even if 72A isn't available, it just requires planning ahead. As it is, I rarely charged at >40A because charging too quickly can stress your battery cells. But I'd like to have the option.

Passion2Fly | 2018年12月21日

The Gen 2 portable charger was reduced from 40A to 32A... I guess it has to do with safety... Losing free supercharging was long coming... you can’t complain about it!
You should have bought a used MX with free supercharging if it’s such a big deal to you...

mathwhiz | 2018年12月21日

I had Costa Mesa SC upgrade the original charger in my P100D awhile ago. They may not do this anymore, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

cleex024 | 2018年12月21日

So is this a hardware change or just a firmware change? this really does affect me as my round trip commute 7 days a week is about 240 miles...I drive roughly 80k miles per year and it would be extremely annoying if I have to sit at a charger for couple hours at a time to get back home.

Its cold here in VA now and I can probably only get about 250 miles per 100% full charge so I would be almost driving it down to 0 most days and am only home for about 8 hours so I wouldnt be able to get a full charge. So then I would have to find another charger if not a supercharger and sit there for a few hours to get back home. My X is suppose to get here around the 26th and wondering maybe I should just wait for a different electric car. I am pretty furious right now because I was told that the car would be able to charge at the 72 amps which I have already bought 2 hpwc.

I guess another option would be to just buy an older model of the X in inventory to keep the 72a charger...does anyone know why they changed this? and what any changes in hardware since 3 months ago?

jjgunn | 2018年12月22日

SuperCharging bypasses the onboard charger 48A or 72A it won't matter - it only matters for your home charging.

Scroll down & Look at this chart....

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector

240v @ 60 Amp breaker (charge at 48 Amps) is the same as charging at 240v w/72 Amps - speed wise

30 MPH charging is pretty decent for home charging

Redmiata98 | 2018年12月22日

Yes, but 47 mph is about 63% better! Do not understand yet if it is a software or hardware change. Back when I furst got mine it was only charg8ng @48 until I called. While I was on the phone they sent a signal to the car amd it then charged at @ higher rate. Do, for me! It was software. But they might have also changed the hardware since Jan “16.

cleex024 | 2018年12月22日

@jjgunn so the chart is saying the same charging speed for both 48a and 72a because there is no longer a 72a charger so it's saying it will charge at the 48a even with a 72a feed. Either way I just purchased a test car x100d today because I just can't do without 72a charger. I don't have time to sit at a spercharger twice a day for 45 minutes on top of getting there which is out of my way. Again I drive about 80,000 miles a year and work 80 plus hours a week... I would absolutely hate to waste an additional 3 hours per day charging my car because I can't do it at home.

@redmiata98 the 100d always came with the 72 amp charger however just recently starting in December of 2018 is when they decide to stop putting 48 amp chargers according to my owner advisor. The sort of sucks because the car exactly how I wanted was being delivered on the 26th... Now I find out that it doesn't have the 72 amp charger which doesn't work for me so I had to downgrade sort of to the five-seater instead of the seven.

jjgunn | 2018年12月22日

You can still charge at home. 11 PM - 7 AM = 240 miles at 30 MPH.

While I agree it isn't ideal like 72 Amps - charging still works.

cleex024 | 2018年12月22日

@jjgunn right except I want a full charge at home so I don't have to charge somewhere in between...240 miles does not require to real world miles as I drive mostly freeway on average 70mph which 295 miles will get me about 250 miles in reality. So 240 is probably more like 200 miles which again just doesn't cut it.

Hope there is no updated hardware items since October... Car does have 250 miles but just how it doesn't have any marks on the inside with white interior... I'm picking it up tomorrow morning

ratchet | 2018年12月22日

@cleex024 - I ordered my 100D in early Feb 2017 and, at the time, the standard was 48A charger with an option to upgrade to 72A charger (I think it was $900). I did not order the 72A because I have a short commute. The week before my delivery in April, Tesla started selling the 100D with the 72A charger at no additional cost. The week after my delivery, they standardized on the 72A for 100D and 48A for the smaller batteries with some minor price adjustments. Seems that they have now standardized on 48A for all MX.

mike3 | 2019年1月1日

@ratchet: So, I'm confused. Is the optional charger upgrade you got in 2017, which was made standard later, still available as an option? Or have they just eliminated the feature altogether?

ratchet | 2019年1月1日

@mike3: It appears that they have now eliminated the 72A charger completely since all MX apparently come with the 48A charger. It was probably part of their effort to simplify configuration options and still support the lower (32A) charge rate for the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. Even the Wall Connector lists 48A as the max charge rate for all models.

Vawlkus | 2019年1月2日

Flagged.

ajdelange | 2019年1月2日

I am as confused about this as everyone else seems to be. My X was built in December and has the 72 Amp charger. The window sticker lists "High Amperage Charger Upgrade" as INCLUDED. What is going on here I do not know. I would advise potential buyers to ask about this upgrade when talking to the sales people. Whether the upgrade is still available or not I don't know and when I called Tesla and asked I was simply told that my car has a 48 A charger in it so some of the Tesla people don't know either. IOW if you want the 72 A capability be persistent.

Observation: the charger has 3 boards in it. 2/3 of 72 A is 48 A.

Another observation: Thinking about what the charger has to do (charge a 90 or 100 kWhr battery from 120 - 240 VAC or up to 500 VDC it is pretty plain that it has an H-bridge in the input circuit whose gating controls the amount of current drawn from the supply. It is thus conceivable that the chargers are all capable of 72 A (on AC) but have been crippled for whatever reason to 48 A for whatever reason. "And if you sign today I can get you the high amperage charger option" is one possibility. Selling the upgrade later is another. The fact that the WC requires a separate disconnect next to it if capable of providing more than 60A is another.

All of the above is pure speculation on my part.

Mainiac | 2019年1月2日

I just got my X 100D on 12/10/18. At my order time (September), the X 100 had 72 A charger. It gets 72 A charging with the wall charger.

The Mobile Charger used to be 40 A, but was reduced to 32 A to comply with Canadian electric codes. I believe it was a hardware change. Mine is 32 A.

Seems weird they would eliminate the 72 A onboard charger for premium cars, like S & X 100s

For me, 48 A would be annoyingly slow for many of my drives in Maine, where Superchargers are very scarce.

tracy | 2019年1月22日

I took delivery 12/31/18 and was told my 100D X had the 72A charger. My model S has the twin chargers and I have a 100amp circuit at home with the HPWC. My biggest complaint is that my home charging EV rate is from 12am-6am. I barely can charge the car from 10% to 90% in the 6hrs at 48a.

I am pissed.

tracy | 2019年1月22日

I took delivery 12/31/18 and was told my 100D X had the 72A charger. My model S has the twin chargers and I have a 100amp circuit at home with the HPWC. My biggest complaint is that my home charging EV rate is from 12am-6am. I barely can charge the car from 10% to 90% in the 6hrs at 48a.

I am pissed.

Tropopause | 2019年1月23日

OP is correct- 48 amp charger and 32 amp charger (Mid-range Model 3) are the only two charger products available today from Tesla. It seems Tesla is seriously streamlining production offerings to cut cost down to a bare minimum in order to facilitate the quest to manufacture Model 3 $35k vehicle.

I just installed 2 HPWC's daisy chained together on a single 100 amp circuit and can charge my 2017 P100D at 72 amp and my Model 3 mid-range at 32 amp independently, or both simultaneously at a reduced rate of 80 amps combined determined by the load-sharing communication line.

Vawlkus | 2019年1月24日

As someone who sprung for the dual charger option, I have to say it RARELY gets used.
I know of ONE charger that can take advantage of that higher charging rate in a 1000 km area. You’re going to find chargers limited to 30 amp max outside of the high power DC chargers that don’t use the onboard chargers at all (Superchargers and Chademos).

Solarman004 | 2019年1月24日

I paid extra for the 72 amp charger back in 2016. In 38,000 miles, I've used it maybe 5 times. But when I really needed it in a town with no supercharger, it was nice to have.
A big issue I've seen is that very few establishments with Tesla destination chargers actually wire them to provide the full 72 amps. Mostly I find them on 50 amp circuits.
All in all I think I could have saved some money and gone with the standard charger.

tracy | 2019年1月25日

I have had the twin charger on my model 85kwh S for 4 years. It makes a difference in charging speed ANYWHERE your using a HPWC which is hotels and any other places with them. I think the real issue is 2 fold. batteries are getting bigger and taking longer to charge. My model x is 100kwh.why on earth would they lower it to 48 amp? It takes longer to charge and now all the utilities have EV TOU plans that in my case are 6hrs. long. I pay $.08 to charge in this window so it's imperative to get it done in that window. it's taking 4hrs to charge to 90% from 50% right now. with a daily commute of approx 100 miles, I specifically asked BEFORE buying the car that it has the 72a charger and was told it did. I have not run the car down low, say 10% but will do so tonight. At 48amp, we are pulling about 12KW vs. 18KW at 80amp. It;s going to be close...and it shouldn't have to be.

Passion2Fly | 2019年1月25日

I’m not sure I understand your statement about being lied at by the sales person. the dual chargers have always been optional. Did you check your purchase order? It should clearly state “high power charger” or “dual charger” as an option if you ordered it...

rick | 2019年1月27日

Coming from a Tesla family that owns 75D and P100D's I can tell you it doesn't matter. I have never come home and had to charge really fast so I could go about my business. The car always charges at night so charging at 40amp, 32amp, or 72amp really doesn't make a difference since I like to sleep at least six hours. I have heard the enemy of our batteries is heat. The more amp's you send to your car the more heat. If you want to preserve your battery, in my opinion, charge with less amp and you'll extend your battery life. Or you can be like evinte from Dec. 20th post above and sell everything ( sorry I don't buy it ). If they even own one of these amazing cars, what would you buy in place of a Tesla once you've owned one for awhile?

Redmiata98 | 2019年1月28日

Tracy, I understand your situation. I have TOU also and am glad I have the 72. Given that you have had the vehicle almost a month, there is probably not much you can do about it short of trading it in for an older model. The only sliver of hope would be that you had some proof in writing that the vehicle had the 72 listed as an option.
Fingers crossed for you, let us know the final resolution.

benbethel | 2019年7月18日

I'm confused too.... I took delivery of a used 2016 Model X P100DL+ in January ... it has the high amperage charger upgrade and I have it on a 60a breaker but set the dip switches to 72a for a 56a charge rate... I get 56a and 36-40 miles per hour of charge (I have screenshots)... so I do get the higher rate.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年7月18日

Yikes - that is totally against electrical code. You have to derate the power to 80% of a breaker's rating when you're pulling continuous power as happens when charging. For a 60 amp breaker (and appropriate wiring) you should pull 48 amps max.

Sounds like your car is equipped with 72 amp charger, so to get 72 amps, you need a 90 amp breaker and suitable wiring. This charging guide may help: https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/

bob | 2019年7月21日

+1 TeslaTa!!! benbethel is looking to burn his house down. You definitely do not want to be pulling 56a continuous from a 60a breaker.

jjgunn | 2019年7月21日

I see melting electrical & fire in @benbethel's future

60 Amp breaker = 48 Amps MAX!

If you want to run at 72 Amps, get a 72 Amp breaker & proper wiring up to code

TeslaTap.com | 2019年7月21日

@jjgunn - Noooo! for 72 amp charging, you need a 90 amp breaker or larger (and wiring). I'm fairly sure you know this and just mistyped!

Redmiata98 | 2019年7月21日

Smell smoke and burned wires coming from ben’s garage soon if not already! STOP NOW, DO NOT CONTINUE CHARGING AT THAT RATE!,!,!!!

Tropopause | 2019年7月22日

Ben has been MIA for four days now. Hope he's okay.

sschaem | 2019年8月15日

If you overload a circuit, a functioning breaker will break if the continuous load is to high.
This is also something that Tesla could have done. For a dedicated circuit, you can load at 100% rated for 3 hours.
So a smart wall connector on a dedicated breaker could support 100% of the rated amp for the first 3 hours, then drop to 80%. for the rest of the charging session.

Now, some people have 90amp breaker and need fast charging at home... So its indeed lame for Tesla to remove the option.

What kind of frustrate me is what good is a sale advisor when they just tell you how great the Raven is, "You get more range" ,"You get the new suspension"
But they dont tell you... "Your home charging will be at half speed", "The seat are no longer ventilated", "And no more perforated seat"
They also make sure to tell you "dont worry if you dont like it you have 7 days to return it"... what they dont tell you. "we will not return your Tesla if you do so"

TeslaTap.com | 2019年8月15日

@sschaem - Lots of FUD there. Are you going to continue to spout off in every thread? Rather annoying. We get it that you hate Tesla because you have never looked in the forums before and were unwilling to read a contract or even look at a car before purchase. I guess Tesla could hire 5,000 more people to read the contract out loud to each buyer, but seems rather silly. PS. going from 72 amps, which was on very few cars sold, to 48 amps is 33% less, not half.

jimglas | 2019年8月15日

Well said TT