Forums

Supercharger price increase means more superchargers in 2019?

Supercharger price increase means more superchargers in 2019?

The supercharging costs go up to 31 cents per key in all states. https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

I think this was necessary to pay for the upcoming 2019 SC expansion. A pretty steep increase though. What do people think?

Seanderson | 2019年1月19日

Explain.How much and in what state?

roger.klurfeld | 2019年1月19日

I see this as a way to subsidize all the owners who live in California, Tesla's major market and where electricity prices are high. Charging at a supercharger in my Commonwealth of Virginia is now almost triple the cost of charging at home. Rate is now $0.34 per kWh supercharging versus $0.12 per kWh at home. I see this as a way to discourage the routine use of superchargers. Over my six months of ownership, I averaged 3.91 miles per kWh. At the new supercharger rate, that's $0.09 a mile. In my previous car, it cost about $0.12 a mile using today's local gas prices. That's getting pretty close.

gmr6415 | 2019年1月19日

Prices haven't changed in FL. Still the same .22 per kWh as it was when I took delivery in August of 2018.

ArcticStation | 2019年1月19日

Non-issue if you do most of your driving locally and charge at home or at work. It's reasonable to pay a premium when traveling to cover Supercharger infrastructure and operating costs. We need a viable Supercharger network and this increase will (hopefully) support expansion and day-to-day operation.

mabuck | 2019年1月19日

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

You can see that Tesla has increased the price quite a lot..... it went from .11c to .14c per minute, and now it is .28c per minute above 60kw. Per KW locations are .31c per kw.

What that comes out to cost is a steep $22 if you go from 6% to 100% using the per KW pricing. The minute pricing (assuming 30 minutes) is $4.20 (170 miles) and for a full 5%-100% is $15, a good price for a full charge.

TESLA had to do something to combat the superchargers becoming so full. I think the per minute price right now is Fair, and will pay for the supercharger in a 5 year payback period. I think this current model is sustainable and is the right way to continue.

SteveWin1 | 2019年1月19日

This makes me happy that I waited on trading in my unlimited free supercharging. I'll probably keep it, especially since the trend may continue once the shock of this increase wears off.

I don't think this means more superchargers, OP. The very first supercharger that they installed was the most expensive. They had to pay for the R&D to figure out how they would work and they had to design all the parts and find someone to make the parts for them. As they build out more and more of these, they should become cheaper per unit and so it should cost less per kwh as they expand, not more. If electricity prices went up drastically, then that would make sense, but electricity prices haven't gone up.

This is more likely either a money grab by Tesla (they have stated they would never use SCs as a way to make money, so hopefully this isn't the case) or its a way to decrease unnecessary use of the superchargers by locals wanting to top up quickly, rather than waiting until they get home. If the price difference is big enough, many people will choose to just charge at home to save money, which will leave the superchargers open for people who are on a long distance trip and have no other option. It would be great if they could just have surge rates like uber. On really busy days, bump the rates up (and display current rates on the car's screen) to encourage locals to use their home chargers and on slow days, just charge whatever Telsa's actual cost is (including SC upkeep, etc). This would make charging costs less predictable, but would keep the superchargers available for people who actually need them and the average cost should be lower than just raising the prices 24/7.

EM34ME | 2019年1月19日

"Charging at a supercharger in my Commonwealth of Virginia is now almost triple the cost of charging at home. "

And there you have it.

I think higher Supercharger rates accomplishes several things
1. encourages charging at home
2. funds expansion of Supercharger system - by those who use it
3. discourages charging to that last 100% at a Supercharger
4. puts Supercharger system price in line with "for profit" third party systems
5. makes financial sense for Solar City and Power Wall home installations

It only makes sense.

mabuck | 2019年1月19日

"Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute."

So that means, that at .31c per KW, we folks are now paying much more for supercharging then your average car. that comes up to $19 0-80% for 250 miles of WARM weather range.

It cost me $17 to go that same distance in my Chrysler 200. TESLA, what the hell are you doing? What happened to "Tesla is committed to ensuring that Supercharger will never be a profit center." At .31c per KW, you're making a 100%-300% markup on the price of electricity? On top of ruining the cost effectiveness of taking your car on a road trip...

CST | 2019年1月19日

Depends, in CA... Cost of afternoon per can hit 50cents/ kW hr.
Plus, encouraging charging from home is a good thing.

apodbdrs | 2019年1月19日

TESLA like all companies have to make a profit so I see this as a necessary move by TESLA. There is a new CEO and a new board member that certainly is interested in TESLA making a sustain profit. However some people complain about everything, if the supercharger is too expensive charge at home, at relative or friend's home, better yet don't buy an electric car. In my case I have solar, so I am not going to worry too much if the electrical company's rates are higher in my state. There are all kinds of decisions people can make to, but if you are complaining about TESLA, which is by the way currently an expensive car, you could never afford it, so buy yourself a cheap car. LOVE MY TESLA!!!!

apodbdrs | 2019年1月19日

Anyone complaining about the OTA FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADES??? LOVE MY TESLA!!!

gmr6415 | 2019年1月19日

Nothing has changed in FL. Here is a September 2018 bill as compared to a January 2019 bill.

St. Augustine, FL Supercharger
9/3/2018 11:36AM

Energy
44 kWh @ $0.22/kWh
$9.68
Tax included
$0.59

Jacksonville, FL - County Road Supercharger
1/17/2019 11:40AM

Energy
51 kWh @ $0.22/kWh
$11.22
Tax included
$0.68

wiboater4 | 2019年1月19日

Are the electric companies charging Tesla more?

Earl and Nagin ... | 2019年1月19日

My understanding is that Tesla found that most Supercharging, especially urban supercharging is done during the peak hours of the day. Even worse, the Superchargers in my area seem to be busiest in the evening which is, from a solar energy perspective, the absolute worst time since solar production is waning while grid usage is increasing (often called "the duck curve") This is the most expensive electricity. Also, given that Tesla is a business, they will pay commercial rates and, in many places, demand charges for high current draw (above average energy cost).
As such, I'm not surprised if Tesla is having to increase the costs.
This shouldn't affect most Tesla owners who either have, or should be looking to find a way to charge at night, when electricity is cheapest, the car is doing nothing anyway so it is not costing their time, and one can charge at slower, more grid-friendly rates.

howard | 2019年1月19日

At this rate EV open road traveling will decline. The dynamics may change soon, but for now local gas is $2 and my son's 2019 Jetta gets 40 mpg on the road. If EV is going to be close to the same expense and you have less freedom to move about the highway system due to finding charging spots and being concerned about if they are working or full. It is just not a good move. The cost for charging on the highway needs to be kept low to encourage people to use it in spite of the potential anxiety in doing so. I don't use it yet and not sure I would really, especially if there is no real savings. Subsidizing by Federal and Local authorities might be needed to really increase use until the charging system nationwide is mature and can be done cost effectively.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年1月19日

Local gas here is $3.60

mikes | 2019年1月19日

MT is billed by the minute and it jumped a lot. Gas around here is about $2.75 that makes the Supercharger expensive. Charging at home is way cheaper. I think Tesla is trying to deter people that are not actually travelling from charging at Superchargers, which I can agree with.

geno.kearney | 2019年1月19日

$1.96 in Lexington, KY.

jerrykham | 2019年1月19日

Looks like nothing appreciably changing for my family. It went from $0.26 to $0.31 per kWh for us. On a recent 1,135 mile trip in my wife's Model 3 we spent $66 on charging and calculated it would have been $135 for gas for her prior Honda CRV. Yes, gas is expensive in California. So this change will still keep it quite a bit cheaper than gas for us. Plus, it is $0.121 / $0.135 (summer / winter rates) per kWh for home charging which makes it one hell of a lot cheaper than gas. Again, CA electric rates are pretty high - many of you get it lower than $0.12 per kWh at home in the evenings in other locations.

billlake2000 | 2019年1月19日

All of California is $0.31? Or is it different at different places that are always busy?

SolArray | 2019年1月19日

Many of Tesla owners live in metropolitan areas (including suburbs) and a fair percentage of urban residents live in multi-dwellings (apartments/co-ops/condos) where there is either no charging available or management prohibits private charger installation. [By that I mean "no garage available," "no on-premises charging available."

The increase to 30-cents/kWh or more in NYState is asking us to pay a disproportionate rate for energy - essentially a penalty for living in congregate housing. If I purchase a private home and increase my cost of living by $15,000/yr in property/school taxes, I can get a rate of 17cents/kWh at home or possibly 7cents/kWh for overnight hours.

This new rate will make the cost-per-mile about the same as my Prius. Where's the incentive to the mass market to leave ICE if the purchase cost is high and the energy cost is high? Is Tesla now marketing to "garage-owners only?"

It's not fair either to say the rates are to subsidize infrastructure. I own stock and expect that the corporate budget includes funding sufficient infrastructure to support rolling stock - not asking us to "invest at the charger."

kcheng | 2019年1月19日

@wiboater, in my state, Maine, the commercial rates are cheaper than residential. Residential is 14c/kWh. Supercharger rate went from 22c/kWh to 32c/kWh. I suppose if this is to deter users from always charging at superchargers, to lower congestion, then I'm fine with it, but it presumably primarily impacts those who drive Model 3 and recently purchased S and X.

SolArray | 2019年1月19日

Many of Tesla owners live in metropolitan areas (including suburbs) and a fair percentage of urban residents live in multi-dwellings (apartments/co-ops/condos) where there is either no charging available or management prohibits private charger installation. [By that I mean "no garage available," "no on-premises charging available."

The increase to 30-cents/kWh or more in NYState is asking us to pay a disproportionate rate for energy - essentially a penalty for living in congregate housing. If I purchase a private home and increase my cost of living by $15,000/yr in property/school taxes, I can get a rate of 17cents/kWh at home or possibly 7cents/kWh for overnight hours.

This new rate will make the cost-per-mile about the same as my Prius. Where's the incentive to the mass market to leave ICE if the purchase cost is high and the energy cost is high? Is Tesla now marketing to "garage-owners only?"

It's not fair either to say the rates are to subsidize infrastructure. I own stock and expect that the corporate budget includes funding sufficient infrastructure to support rolling stock - not asking us to "invest at the charger."

SolArray | 2019年1月19日

Sorry for duplicate entry... problem with interface response.

Patrick | 2019年1月19日

My initial reaction is this - let's wait and see how this plays out once the new rates have fully taken effect across the US. Sounds like the impact may vary based on US location.

After doing our last analysis, EV fuel cost/mile with local home charging is free with solar PV and about $0.025/mile if buying power in Florida, vs. about $0.12/mile with an equivalent luxury ICE sedan. This is based on local utility rates of about $0.13/kWh.

During our last road trip in the Southeast US, for some reason we were only billed for 3 of 12 supercharger stops. While I'm sure that was an aberration, the rate shown on the bills we did receive was $0.22/kWh. Access to quick charging on road trips certainly has great value, so even if Tesla were to raise these supercharger rates by 50% the fuel costs would still be less than a comparable ICE sedan while on the road...

We're getting ready to duplicate the last trip soon and will do a comparison...

Azred50 | 2019年1月19日

Read the bullet points above the $.31 and $.14 and $.28. These are averages. The new pricing structure is by site not by state. You have to pull up sites from your car to see rates at a specific site.

operationdoc | 2019年1月19日

Buyers should know that relying on Superchargers for daily charging is a poor idea.

RES IPSA | 2019年1月19日

At least in CA, the cost went from 26 cents a kw/hr to 31 cents a kw/hr. Looks like Tesla applied the old rate for Hawaii across the entire US.

I can assume those in cost per minute states will likely charge up to 60 kw or at least be sharing a circuit (like 6 a and 6b) to keep the cost down to 14 cents. This will encourage owners to charge for less time under most circumstances which would help with crowded charging locations

Tesla has stated all along and continues to state that they will not make a profit off of the superchargers. They must be doing this to speed up the expansion of the network.

RES IPSA | 2019年1月19日

At least this does not effect the supercharger at Qualcomm in SD. Still free for all Tesla vehicles. I guess my cheap ass may have to get there by 5 am now on a Sunday (instead of 6 am) to charge to avoid the waiting line. Time to bring my pillow. I only do this in the summer though when my TOU rate is 53 cents kw/hr from 4-9 pm. Got to save money during the summer somehow.

The increased price will encourage more people to go to Qualcomm

RES IPSA | 2019年1月19日

@Magic... $3.60 a gallon? Wow. Here in SD at Costco, it is $2.95 for regular and $3.15 for premium.

Just checked. Local Chevron is now up to $3.69 for regular. I buy mid grade and can probably find it cheaper at Costco looks to be $3.05 regular and $3.25 Premium.

Bay area gas has always been more costly than most places in the lower 48.

jerrykham | 2019年1月19日

@Azred50 - thanks for that. I had skimmed past the fact that it was an average the first time through. There was a long thread the other day over at Tesla Motors Club about the potential that Tesla is violating some states laws by not having a clearly visible price sign on each pedestal. This makes it even worse because before they could at least say that the price is on our web site (not that a web site met the requirements of the law but at least people could know in advance). Since it is variable per location now it seems even more likely that they could potentially be in violation. BTW I am not saying they ARE in violation - I am just reporting that there was a thread vigorously discussing it with pasted sections of statues and codes, etc.

noleaf4me | 2019年1月19日

They can't lose money on this......just can't....

rsingh05 | 2019年1月19日

@solarray - the superchargers were not meant to be a regular charging option. I think the price increase means that people will be paying a fair price for charging. Tesla probably loses money on it. Fact is it needs to show heathy margins on all aspects of its business, not just the vehicle sale.

People may resist but most will either find cheaper home or work charging options, or pay for the flexibility for fast sharing at the supercharger.

The incentive to move from a Prius comes from making a $35k Model 3 a reality. At the same cost per mile, you'd be getting a car that's generations ahead in every way imaginable.

As for comparing with luxury ICE vehicles, like BMW, Benz and Porsche, it's already priced comparably or marginally lower than comparable cars. And provides comparable luxury and far superior performance. It's already better value - far more car at comparable prices, even without incentives. The lower cost of charging vs gas has always been an added bonus. The financial value of this bonus will go down a little for some buyers that's all. And it makes Tesla more sustainable.

texxx | 2019年1月19日

Got gas today at Costco in Houston - $1.699. Can't believe it's this cheap and sure does take away a lot of the EV fuel cost advantage. But it won't stay this low. It never does.

mcalbright | 2019年1月19日

On a road trip right now. Tifton, GA has been free the last several times I’ve passed through there, but this time they charged “Power Tier 1” at $.14/min for 24 mins and then “Power Tier 2” at $.27/min for 15 mins. I’m not familiar with that price structure, but it was a single charging session so I’m assuming maybe the lower rate was for the first 30 mins and the higher rate was for the next 15. Also charged in Ocala, FL at $.27/kWh. I’m generally OK with the higher rates because I only supercharge on road trips and they’re still noticeably cheaper for me than gas. But the tactic does seem at odds with Tesla’s new emphasis on urban supercharging and trying to meet the needs of people who can’t charge at home.

operationdoc | 2019年1月19日

Musk increases SC pricing because the company is not doing well and a lot of people are using SC as their home charger. There is no indication we will be seeing more superchargers at this time.

TeslaMarque | 2019年1月19日

@Magic8

Wow that’s expensive, I guess you pay the price for living in that beautiful part of the country!

@Texx

Wow, that’s cheap! We just dipped under $2 in Madison, WI. I noticed the other day when filling up my work truck. It’s a significant difference, the gas station I go to puts a $75 cap on my card, and I wouldn’t be able to fill my tank all the way. It was $46 the other day. But I completely agree this won’t last.

As a kid I remember gas wars (stations undercutting prices) and lots of giveaways (steak knives, dinner plate sets, etc.). During the oil embargo people got into gas lines over a hundred cars long just to get a fill up. Gas eventually got up to $6/gallon and it is pretty low currently.

Accordingly our electricity rates are also very high. Most plans average out around 22 cents a Kwh with peak use rates as high as 49 cents and midnight EV charge rate about 11 cents. I will never be able to make my own gasoline and making bio diesel is not practical so I am excited about getting solar panels on the roof. We will have our own power plant that will fuel our car at home.

This is a sustainable model going forward and I see rising utility rates driving solar growth. More and more people will realize they can produce enough electricity to power their home and fuel their cars.

mikes | 2019年1月19日

solarray has a point! How do you charge if living in a apartment building and can not or are not allowed to install a home charger? M3 is supposed to be for everybody but this is a problem for some. I recently planned a trip to Salt Lake City and found that there are many "other" charging options in the larger city. So maybe looking around a bit and have to be a bit more flexible will allow Tesla owners to charge at other places. Would be nice if Tesla had an adapter for CCS as the local Wal-Mart just installed 8 or 9 of these chargers labeled to be capable of 150kw, a couple even labeled 250kw and 300kw.

Teslanene | 2019年1月19日

Tesla should be like the post office, they should allow us to buy forever SC credit at todays rate if they need more money upfront. I would purchase a $500 credit at today’s rate.

RES IPSA | 2019年1月19日

The "golden age" of EV incentives have already started to disappear and will continue to disappear, including those from Tesla.

Tesla owners will always be able to use superchargers, and that network will expand (as it has been over the last few years and will expand quicker in the near future. Already in the last 6 months 2 more are open in SD county with another on the way soon.

Next free level 2 chargers (other than destination chargers) will start to disappear. It is only natural. More EV owners, more demand for charging... more money to be made (not including Tesla since they claim they do not profit from Superchargers). But other companies will want to profit.

eandmjep | 2019年1月19日

Sounds like it solves the problem with taxi,uber,lyft using SC to save a buck.

milesbb | 2019年1月19日

So Tesla no longer has a site that tells you what you can expect to pay at any given supercharger site? Before buying a Tesla you can not check the price of a Supercharger sites you would use? Perhaps https://supercharge.info/map can add a place where folks can upload what they pay. The electric equivalent of GasBuddy.

rsingh05 | 2019年1月19日

@Milesbb - it’s largely irrelevant now that all locations across the country will have the same pricing per kWh (or per minute where the state doesn’t allow per kWh pricing)

milesbb | 2019年1月19日

@rsingh05
It is my understanding that each Supercharger site gets it's own pricing schedule. From Engadget Article:
Tesla said it was increasing prices to "better reflect differences in local electricity costs and site usage"

beaver | 2019年1月19日

What rates are people seeing in California? I read anywhere between $0.31-0.36 per kWh.
https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/

I tried to look on my M3 map but it gives me no price for any location I searched. I think it’s because I still have free supercharging due to the fires.

rsingh05 | 2019年1月19日

@epostby - please see the link my original post above. Tesla’s site shows $.31/kWh for the US. This supersedes any recent articles etc or any usage experiences any of us has from before the price hike.

beaver | 2019年1月19日

@rsingh05 I am not sure...
The Tesla site says “Pricing to use a Supercharger may vary by location, and prices may change from time to time. All prices include taxes and fees.”

I think the $0.31 price is an average in the US, which can still vary by state and even location.

Does anyone have field data?

beaver | 2019年1月19日

Adding quote from the Tesla website:

“Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen.”

Pages