Forums

ConEd Time of Use: New meter for EV

ConEd Time of Use: New meter for EV

I understand the program has very limited adoption due a number of issues - however the economics are very enticing longer-term especially if the plan is to have multiple teslas and you do not have options like Free supercharging.
Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience installing the separate meter under time of use? If so, can you share how was the permit applied for by the electrician? I am in the process of exploring this and i can find materials that reference waivers from the City code requirements but my electrician is stomped because he can not figure out how to pull a permit under the waiver and the DOB has no clue about the program or the waiver. (DOB rules as stated forbid more than 1 meter in single family)

Ref: https://www.coned.com/en/save-money/energy-saving-programs/time-of-use
Electric Vehicle Time Periods and Delivery Rates
Off-Peak
Hours Midnight to 8 a.m.
TIME-OF-USE DELIVERY RATES Off-peak rates: 1.54 cents/kWh

gballant4570 | 2019年3月27日

I pay the same (10 cents kwh) 24/7 - and schedule charging for midnight most days. That sounds great, but I wonder what the regular time cost is in that area?

gmr6415 | 2019年3月27日

We pay $0.88 kWh no matter the time of day. I charge during the night when possible. If I charge during the day here in Central FL when the temps are higher the battery cooling system operates continuously. I would assume I'm saving some on power loss by charging during the night when it's cooler.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年3月27日

Seriously, 88 cents per kWh?

MichaelB00012 | 2019年3月27日

He simply has to me 0.088, or 8.8 pennies per kWh. At 88 cents per kWh, your two options would be not own an EV that you need to charge at home, or install solar.

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

Thanks - looking for anyone with specific info on how the permit was applied for with NYC DOB for the new ConEd meter.
Apples to apples, Coned delivery charges are ~10cents/kW recently - so the discount to charge midnight-8am is about 85%.
However, overlaid with Smartcharge NYC, there is a 10cents/KW rebate charging midnight-8am which would make this a net gain of 8.5cents/kW once the installation and setup is invested in

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

bump

ICEMELT | 2019年3月27日

I have 10c from 8pm to 7am and 20c otherwise from JCPL in NJ

Mde0509 | 2019年3月27日

Last year I had a con ed van come over and they installed the meter in 15 minutes.

I sent them an email with the registration sticker pic and this is what they said.

Thank you for your application! Your request has been forwarded to our Customer Operations department. Please allow 1-3 months for a Con Edison crew to arrive and exchange your existing meter with a Time of Use meter. Once you receive your permanent registration, please send us a copy. In the meantime, I encourage you to enroll into our off-peak charging incentive program, SmartCharge New York. You can earn rewards for charging off-peak, avoiding the summer peak, and more! The on and off peak timeframes in this program align perfectly with the Time of Use rate. For more information, click here:

gmr6415 | 2019年3月27日

@Magic 8 Ball, Sorry. Forgot the zero in front of 88. It should read $0.088

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

@Mde0509
That is very interesting and shocking to me. Did you change your existing meter over to TOU or did you have a totally new meter installed? and ConEd installed it? I have been getting some serious run around on this if I want to install a new meter dedicated for EV

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年3月27日

@gmr6415 Our average rate around here is about $.22. An all day rate of ~.09 is incredible to me since our midnight rate for EV charging is ~$.11 and peak period rate is up to ~$.45. I really don't understand why you would get such great rates while we pay through the nose.

Mde0509 | 2019年3月27日

I had a new meter installed for my nema 14-50 that only charges my Model 3 so I have two meters in the garage. Yes a pair of ConEd techs installed it and they were stoked about the car.

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

this is probably inefficient via forum but will try to keep it here unless we have a way of taking the conversation private.
Do you have any information on who from ConEd did this and how did you apply/request the meter? I applied via project center and a very nice ConEd inspector came out but he was unfamiliar with the program. I have my electrician trying to sort out with ConEd but they will not install new meter without certification from DOB, which in turn wont allow the work because we cant figure out how to pull permit. Any trails you have on who you worked with /how will be amazing..

cobaltdap | 2019年3月27日

@Mde0509 Did you already have the 14-50 installed in the garage or did your electrician file through the project center? I already have the 14-50 in my garage was wondering if I still need an electrician to file to get Coned to install the other meter. Thanks

Mde0509 | 2019年3月27日

I already had the 14-50 installed with the mobile connector plugged in, when the con ed techs came to install the meter.

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

Thanks - i have communicated with Tassie and her manager. They have not mentioned that they can send the ConEd Team to install the meter but rather that once I work through the meter install on my own, they can ensure that the new meter is setup properly for TOU.
No chance you recall who your ConEd Tech was?

Fuzzball | 2019年3月27日

bump

kevin_rf | 2019年3月27日

Interesting rule. I wonder how they would react to my single family home which has three meters. (One house, one solar panels, one TOU for the car)

I see what they are trying to do, prevent people from illegally converting a single family home to a multi family home.

Fuzzball | 2019年3月28日

@Mde0509: Based on the info you share, am I correctly reading that you have your whole house on TOU and ConEd did not give you a new, seperate mater for the EV but rather switched out your meter so that it could be programmed for TOU?

Below is a response from Tassie which also indicates the same but wanted to confirm if things worked out differently.

Response:
There are two time of use rates available for electric vehicle owners: Provision F and Provision E. Since you went through the project center it appears you are referring to provision F:

EV Only rate (Provision F)

On The EV only rate, only the EV is on the time of use rate. A separate meter must be installed for the EV. The cost of the meter pan and electrical panel would be your responsibility. Therefore, I recommend you contact the EV programs manager at 212-460-4426 before selecting this rate because it could be quite costly. If you do decide to go with this rate, you can apply for it by having your electrician put a request through the project center on the Con Edison website: https://www.coned.com/en/save-money/energy-saving-programs/time-of-use

The other option is the whole house time of use rate. This rate comes with a one year price guarantee and is the most popular rate among EV owners:

Whole Time of Use w/ Price Guarantee (Provision E)

On the whole house TOU rate, the house and the EV are on the time of use rate. The whole house rate also comes with a one year price guarantee. In order to apply for this rate, please respond to this email with a copy of your registration and a signed letter of request. The signed letter of request must include whether or not you have solar panels installed or plan to have solar panels installed in the future.

I highly recommend you contacting the EV programs manager at 212-460-4426 to discuss further.

Higgs1 | 2020年5月21日

@Mde0509 could you give me any guidance or recommendations on who you used? I'm moving into a condo unit and they're making me put together a proposal to get approval, could use some guidance!
Thanks