Forums

Screen started jitters and then shut down... while driving

Screen started jitters and then shut down... while driving

The screen was all jittery yesterday when I started for work. Was charging all night at 30 amps and was at full charge. It drove fine but the screen kept shaking. Then about 2 miles in it just shut down and went completely dark.

Rebooted in under a minute and was fine after.

Standard Plus.

Video of jitter here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9EsFAXvwnuhu4Qyz9

What happened?

hokiegir1 | 2019年4月12日

Software glitch. They happen occasionally and the 8.5 release seems to be a little more buggy than some, particularly for screen issues. Next time, you can preemtively reboot on your own when you notice it by pressing and holding both scroll wheels until the screen goes blank. This *can* be done while driving and you still have brake lights and turn signals, though you won't hear the sound for the turn signals.

vmulla | 2019年4月12日

Please, please don't say in a few months we will be advised to buy a more powerful computer to avoid screen jitters.
We're already getting used to the idea of jitters/blackouts/etc - now that this is the new normal - I can only fear that the next step is someone defending Tesla 'this is old hardware, what did you expect? buy the new'.
Lets please not go down that route - I like EAP, I paid for EAP and I want my car to perform without jitters - and if the release is buggy, let's not push it to the cars.

alemast26 | 2019年4月12日

I had this happen today also. First time I'd seen the problem. Behaved as described by hokiegir1. Glad for the reboot tip because I said to myself that's what was needed when I saw it.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年4月12日

The projection of fear is strong in this one.

I am certain the sky is falling and we will be forced to buy upgrades.

vmulla | 2019年4月12日

...advised to buy ;), not forced --- Tesla isn't like that

After all, it's so easy to have a ranger swap it out -- and screen jitter isn't the only thing that gets fixed ;)

Hey @M8B, I'm just having fun with you --- By now I'm convinced you've too much invested in Tesla that you'll jump on every tiny thing that is negative.

For all I care - Jitter not good. Don't release software that shows jitters on the screen, testing should be better - it makes people doubt the software that they CANNOT see - if it can happen on the screen, who knows what else the other stuff is doing.

@vmulla Do you own a 3?

vmulla | 2019年4月12日

VIN 3110

vmulla | 2019年4月12日

Now, do you own Tesla stock? :)

Yes I own stock but everyone that has a Tesla is also invested. Do you hope or have interest in buying one?

Carl Thompson | 2019年4月12日

Maybe @M8B is really a clever shorter... Turn people off of Tesla by pretending to be the most toxic owner ever.

Do you like your 3?

mahesh.tank | 2019年4月12日

The screen was all jittery yesterday (4/11/19) around 3:30 while I was driving, then it gone dark. So I pulled car on the side and it started rebooting. Once reboot complete then it was fine but it was very scary feeling. No screen - no gage to read and was in the middle of the trip. I am sure it has to do with new software upgrade and unfortunately we are beta tester for Tesla.

jlbrandt | 2019年4月24日

Screen jitters and auto reboot has been happening to my screen every couple of days for the past 2 weeks.

CharleyBC | 2019年4月24日

It seems odd to me that these symptoms are so variable among those on 8.5. We have 1500 miles on that release, with no jitters or weirdness on the screen so far. (One spontaneous reboot with no warning symptoms.) Yet others are getting it frequently. I wonder what the difference is.

lbowroom | 2019年4月24日

There's like 5 different threads on the same topic on the frontt page. Anyone read the page before starting their own thread? It's a software glitch(I haven't had it) that will be fixed with a software update, Why would anyone jump to an unprecedented fear that they'd have to buy a new computer to fix it?

Atoms | 2019年4月24日

Tesla likely has 10,000 reports of this. They are working on a solution and will roll it out soon. We just need to know how to perform a reset and be patient for a week or two.