Forums

Make Sentry Mode better - quick fix

Make Sentry Mode better - quick fix

Sentry Mode rocks...and I'm sure it will get better and better over time. But for now, I see a simple fix/enhancement: Send me a notification to my phone when Sentry Mode starts SAVING DATA to the USB drive.
I know I get a notification if/when the actual alarm is triggered...but that's almost too late.
A notification when Sentry Mode initiates saving data to the USB would be awesome. Then I'd know "...something is going on..."

Agree?

EVRider | 2019年4月20日

Sentry Mode starts recording video even before anything happens (though it might not save it all), so what you want is a notification when the car enters an Alert State (when it displays the "you're being recorded" screen). Others have asked for that too, and most think it's a good idea (including me), especially if there's some way to view the video on your phone.

LTR | 2019年4月21日

Yes...notification on Alert State. Thanks....
It would be very helpful.

blue adept | 2019年4月24日

IDK but inasmuch as Sentry Mode activates whenever someone comes in close proximity to the vehicle, it seems to me that that would put an immense burden on Tesla and service carriers to send notifications every time someone merely walked by your car?!

Don't get me wrong, Sentry Mode is effing AWESOME!, for example:

Sentry Mode catches video of woman deliberately keying someone's Tesla both when she and her kids get out of their car and when they get back in which resulted in her arrest:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27239/tesla-sentry-mode-leads-to-vandal-be...

It just seems that multiple notifications for random passersby would be awfully troublesome.

EVRider | 2019年4月24日

@blue adept: I don’t think Sentry Mode goes into Alert Mode every time someone is near your car — it wouldn’t be very useful if it did that. Sentry Mode analyzes video from the cameras and tries to determine when an alert is appropriate. I learned this in another thread about Sentry Mode where I was wondering why it uses so much power.

If Sentry Mode just cared about proximity, it could use the ultrasonic sensors.

sasglm | 2019年4月24日

where is Sentry mode enabled from? i don't see it on my new M3

finman100 | 2019年4月24日

Every thing (birds, people, cars, etc) that passes within 2 feet of any of my Model 3 cams triggers the "sentry mode recording" message. And when parked where a lot of students walk by (small campus), my 32 GB flash drive fills in 3 to 4 days. NONE of the passersby are even looking into the car or "making a move" towards the car.

None of these recorded events triggers any sort of alert to my phone. I'm assuming the actual alarm would have to be triggered in order for that to happen (broken glass, opening door, etc)

I think I will need a bigger flash drive.

blue adept | 2019年4月24日

@EVRider

>>> "I'm assuming the actual alarm would have to be triggered in order for that to happen (broken glass, opening door, etc)

I think I will need a bigger flash drive."

Yes, and, yes!

@finman100 has it figured.

EVRider | 2019年4月24日

@finman100: Submit a bug report to Tesla. You can use the voice command "report bug" to do that.

@sasglm: If you have the firmware that supports Sentry Mode, you can enable it in Controls >Safety & Security. You can also enable it in the mobile app. I don't recall which firmware version introduced Sentry Mode, but if you have one of the 2019.x releases you probably have it. You also need a USB to record video -- if you don't know about that, please read the dashcam section of the owner's manual.

blue adept | 2019年4月24日

At least now everyone has an explanation for the "always on" functionality and, perhaps, can also now understand how burdensome it would be for our Tesla's to notify us every time someone merely walked by...?

finman100 | 2019年4月24日

what bug would i report? that i need a bigger flash drive to record video, can u please help me Tesla?

I'm confused as to what part of the Sentry Mode I described is a bug.

It is what it is...motion sensing video recording. Unless it SHOULD be more than that...

Thx

Yodrak. | 2019年4月24日

"I don’t think Sentry Mode goes into Alert Mode every time someone is near your car ... . I learned this in another thread about Sentry Mode where I was wondering why it uses so much power."

I checked my USB drive after noticing a dash message (bottom center) with the number of alerts in the double digits. It had gone into alert and saved recordings every time I opened the garage door from my laundry room, and for the entire 3-1/2 hours that my wife was parked in a mall parking garage even though few cars drove by (maybe one every 15 minutes), and even fewer people walked by.

EVRider | 2019年4月24日

@finman100: The bug I would report is that Sentry Mode is responding to any motion around the car. I don’t think it’s supposed to be that sensitive, and it could use ultrasonic sensors for that. The car is apparently using the AP computer to analyze video (that’s why Sentry Mode uses a lot of power), but why bother if it responds to any motion?

pocastillo | 2019年4月26日

They need to study Owlcam. I had it in my vehicle prior to this Model3 and I absolutely loved it. No SD card needed and everything was straight to the cloud. Id rather pay the 10 bucks a month and be able to check in on my car remotely instead of going to my car and finding it trashed and the USB possibly taken out.