Forums

Odd that Model Y does not have a higher range option like 325+ miles

Odd that Model Y does not have a higher range option like 325+ miles

I find it a bit odd that Model Y does not have a higher range option like 325+ miles. Even Model X which is a bigger and heavier car has a 325 mile version.

I am considering a model Y, and it is a bit of turn off that its range is limited to 300 miles.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月30日

With the Y 18-24 months out, perhaps further improvements will occur. Then again no one else's EV SUV offers anything close to 300 miles other than the Model S, at 325 miles. Many ICE SUVs also can't go 300+ miles. The problem is an SUV, by nature, is not as efficient as a sedan due to the size.

Be very leery of any range numbers coming from Europe - they usually rate them on the obsolete NEDC standard that is wildly inflated. New standard are going in place and should reduce that silliness and come a bit closer to EPA and reality.

hoodrm | 2019年4月30日

Model X is to Model S as Model Y is to Model 3.
325 <- 370 / 280 <- 310
Each time the range of the "SUV" is about 90% of the car.

Teslapalooza | 2019年4月30日

My question was Model X which is a heavier car than Model Y has a version with 325 miles. I do not see why they can't offer a version of Y model with that same range or even a bit more since it is lighter than X. May be they are pricing it lower targeting a different customer segment that is not so much fixated on range but relatively more price conscious. Just thinking aloud.

I am hopeful they will revise the specs as they get closer to release.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年5月1日

@Teslapalooza - The Model X has room (and can handle the weight) for a 100 kW battery pack. The Model 3 is a smaller car and was designed for a maximum size and weight of 75 kw pack. The Model Y s expected to be on the same frame as the 3.

The 3/Y being smaller and lighter, you do get a bit back in improved efficiency, so you do get more range than the pack size alone would indicate.

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月1日

that makes sense. Hopefully battery technology will evolve over next year and a half allowing them to offer a higher range model for those who are willing to pay some extra.

steve | 2019年5月2日

The price of a Y is about 40% less than the price of an X, so I wouldn't want or expect a cheaper car to have all the same "features" and I think range is definitely a "feature".

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月2日

But they can potentially offer different versions of model Y at different price points, can't they? Like they used to have at introduction of Model X in the beginning - 60D, 75D, 90D, 100D etc.?

jimglas | 2019年5月2日

multiple batteries would complicate manufacturing, tesla seems to be focused on simplification in the manufacturing process to increase efficiency

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月2日

may be. We will see what happens in the next year and a half. I am following Rivian as well to see how they pan out with the introduction of 400 mile range utility truck with FSD readiness. For me, longer range with reasonable energy efficiency(about 300 to 350 Watt per mile) and right price point wins out. If it is Tesla, I will buy a Tesla again. If it is Rivian, will buy a Rivian. Not in a big hurry and have the time to see how things shake out in the next year and a half..

TeslaTap.com | 2019年5月2日

@Teslapalooza - Looks like the Rivian SUV is targeting the Model X, not the Model Y, price point wise. Starting price for the smallest version is $69K without options and 240 miles of range. That range may also be in the wildly inflated NEDC standard (they don't say, which is a bad sign), so real EPA type range could be below 200 miles. Energy efficiency looks to be far lower than most EVs too, although not sure why. Perhaps the lack of aerodynamics and having no prior EV experience hurts them. Tesla's on a 4th gen design, and it shows with the efficiency numbers no one else has matched. Anyway rather moot for Rivian until they finalize the design and start shipping something.

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月2日

agreed. certainly got to look at all the specs and numbers and compare apples to apples before I make the buying decision. I am basically looking to replace one of the family ice cars with an electric by end of 2020. So I have time to wait and see where the chips fall.

inconel | 2019年5月2日

If Rivian enters into an agreement with Tesla to use its SC network then it becomes interesting to me.

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月2日

that is a good point. I also hear VW has a USD 2 Billion Electrify America project that is building a vast network of Fast DC Charging stations across the US, and my guess is it will be accessible to all makes of electric cars

nwfan | 2019年5月3日

At most EA sites only 1 charger available for use by Tesla and it requires chademo adapter.
And you pay for fee for the electricity. If Tesla comes out with a CCS adapter for North America
EA chargers will become more attractive to Tesla vehicles.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年5月3日

@Teslapalooza - I'm not sure I'd call the 300 EA locations vast. Tesla already has more than 600 US locations, and growing. Still great to see more EV charging locations of any type being built, and it's likely as the EA network expands, Tesla will make adapters to support CSS and CHAdeMO. (CHAdeMO adapter for S/X already available).

Teslapalooza | 2019年5月3日

yes agreed, I think they are steadily executing on their plans though. This is what I read:
"Electrify America plans to install or have under construction 484 charging station sites with more than 2,000 ultra-fast chargers by July 1, 2019" I think their design is 4 charging ports per station. So it will be a bit less widely distributed as compared to Tesla network I suppose. Need to wait and see how this pans out.

milesbb | 2019年5月6日

I think the X and Y could use a significant battery size boost for those that want to use them in trailer pulling service. I know it is difficult to do. Using the same battery pack as the S and 3 is much easier, but comes with trailer pulling limitations.