Forums

Both my screens froze up while driving, it feels like its impossible to reach anyone at Tesla about this

Both my screens froze up while driving, it feels like its impossible to reach anyone at Tesla about this

This 2019.12 update sucks. I have not had the boot loop on the cluster screen for a few days now, but what happened on the way home from work trumps that. I was stopped at a traffic light, and all of the sudden the music just quits. I try switching to the radio. Oh wait, the big screen is froze up and not responding at all. Light changes, and I start moving again. Only the cluster screen still shows 0 mph. What the heck? I go to use my turn signal, it does not work. Car behind me almost runs into me when I hit the brakes, so I think the brake lights do not work either. Its just a couple of miles to home, so I keep on driving and reboot when I get home. Everything seems to come back after that.
So I try to speak to someone at Tesla about this, call their number, and they tell me to use the chat on the webpage. I go there, and the chat is grayed out. So I have to just email? What if this was an urgent issue?

p.c.mcavoy | 2019年4月30日

@A-Wimoweh - while I normally do not recommend doing it, especially for the dash cluster, you can reboot either screen while driving. The actual control of the electronic drivetrain is handled by different process independent of both the main screen and the dash cluster.

Bighorn | 2019年4月30日

Every function i.e turn signals, brake lights, is still operational, just no audio feedback. Behavior has been described for years and there’s really no reason to talk to service about it. Kind of like calling Microsoft over BSOD.

EVRider | 2019年4月30日

Which 2019.12 do you have? There’s 12, 12.1, and 12.1.1. Both 12 and 12.1 are reported to have bugs, so if you have either of those you can expect 12.1.1 soon.

Ohmster | 2019年4月30日

12.1.1 is pretty sweet.

ens | 2019年4月30日

A-Wimoweh - I've experienced identical twice in the last week, including last night on my way home from work. Driving on the freeway at 10p, and suddenly, like you describe, all of the sudden radio/audio-book stops, both display screens freeze, and then everything goes dark. Autopilot disengages without any warning sound, etc. No display - no turn signals, no speedometer, no interior lighting. In the middle of a freeway transition merge that put me into the fast lane of the new freeway - hard to get over under the situation. After about 2-3 minutes, the system starts to reboot. A bit scary. Very unsafe, and serious issue. I have new S purchased in Dec 2018, after trading in my 2015 S. On the 2015, never once had this happen while driving ... and only a couple times in three years did my system freeze or not bootup while stopped/parked. On the new S, in the last 4 months, since the recent updates, has happened 3 times total while driving, and at least 4 times while parked/stopped. On version 2019.8.6 ... haven't received an update since the one that gave me Sentry mode about six weeks ago.

Bighorn | 2019年4月30日

Let’s be more dramatic.

jesus | 2019年5月1日

Get squashed to a pulp by a semi ........how's that for fur king DRAMATIC?
You are soul.

Mathew98 | 2019年5月1日

ingles pleased

dougk71 | 2019年5月1日

Well with a Dec 2018 s100D SW 2019.12 I stopped at a SC. When leaving the Navigation map froze at the location of the SC. Sadly this also disengaged all sensors so no automation at all. Fortunately the brakes and the steering still worked. so it could still be driven. When in a safe place with some apprehension it would leave me stranded I did a reboot ( both wheel scroll buttons depressed and foot on the brake ) Several minutes after the reboot the Navigation reset to the reboot location and the sensors came back on allowing Auto Steer and TACC. I have stopped using the auto lane change feature it often does phantom braking and unpleasant lane changes in moderately busy traffic. Maybe next year things will be smoother and more like 8.5 software. Until then I will choose when a lane change is warranted and safe.

barjakw | 2019年5月1日

Since last update, camera error appears after parking in sun. Moved to shade and VOLA! its working again after a bit of rest.

barrykmd | 2019年5月1日

I'm installing an update now. Uh oh...

However, just before the update, I saw Jack Nicholson's face on the big screen, and heard "redrum" in the nav lady's voice...

redacted | 2019年5月1日

"VOLA!" is a brand new misspelling of Wallah. Congratulations.

@A-wingowech, the turn signals, etc. still work, as Bighorn points out. I suggest you stop using autopilot if it's going to bother you for it to crash.

Bill_75D | 2019年5月1日

@ redacted - Is this what you meant?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voilà

Bill_75D | 2019年5月1日

Well, I messed that up. Trying to define "voilà"

Bill_75D | 2019年5月1日
Bill_75D | 2019年5月1日

crap, I give up.

dougk71 | 2019年5月1日

@redacted
How useful are your comments with respect to improving Tesla's. Anyone with a little knowledge of french gets the context if there is a typo.
Being pedantic is unhelpful and distracts from the purpose of having responsible owners report issues and having others confirm them and/or provide a work around.
Many want improvements to their Tesla's and having other owners intelligently respond is important.

sr.smr | 2019年5月2日

I have 2019.12.1.1 and the reboot issue seems to be solved so far. Just looked at https://ev-fw.com/reports.php?ver=9.0 and this version is already superseded by 2019.12.11.

However I find that autopilot still has room for improvement. While in autopilot and signaling left to move from the right hand lane to the center lane because of merging traffic that was entering the highway from the right, the car moved over as expected to the middle lane, but the merging cars caused my car to suddenly brake while I was already in the middle lane with no car ahead in the middle lane. I still use autopilot extensively, but am learning its limitations and hope that AP3 and software improvements will continue to make self driving a more pleasurable experience.

barrykmd | 2019年5月2日

sr.smr | May 2, 2019
I have 2019.12.1.1 and the reboot issue seems to be solved so far. Just looked at https://ev-fw.com/reports.php?ver=9.0 and this version is already superseded by 2019.12.11.

I suspect someone just forgot the "dot" between the two 1's.

booshtukka | 2019年5月2日

FYI “wallah” is not a thing. The word you are plagiarising and destroying is “voilà”. I understood @barjakw just fine.

dtuckerbrown | 2019年5月2日

Similar issue on my 2015 Model S P90D:

I just updated the software (v12.1.1) and drove the car for the first time today.

While my wife was driving, the center screen went black and the driver’s seat started moving back.  The driver’s screen remained on.  This created an unsafe situation and my wife had to manually stop the seat from moving while driving.

Anyone else have similar issues with the reboot while driving causing the seat to move? I think it was reverting to my seat setting, rather than my wife's

A-Wimoweh | 2019年5月2日

Sorry, didn't mean to ghost this thread. But these forums don't notify me when someone responds, like TMC does.

1) I was not using auto pilot at the time. I was using navigation. Even though I was on my normal commute home, I use the navigation, cause it will re-route me around traffic problems.
2) The screens did not go off, they froze, essentially what was displayed was a static picture. Very weird to be going about 20 or 30 mph and have the speedo show 0. If I got pulled over for speeding, could I use "my tesla locked up" as an excuse, cause I really had no idea what the speed was.
3) This has not happened again since then.

A-Wimoweh | 2019年5月2日

Sorry, didn't mean to ghost this thread. But these forums don't notify me when someone responds, like TMC does.

1) I was not using auto pilot at the time. I was using navigation. Even though I was on my normal commute home, I use the navigation, cause it will re-route me around traffic problems.
2) The screens did not go off, they froze, essentially what was displayed was a static picture. Very weird to be going about 20 or 30 mph and have the speedo show 0. If I got pulled over for speeding, could I use "my tesla locked up" as an excuse, cause I really had no idea what the speed was.
3) This has not happened again since then.

Oh, and I'm still on 2019.12. No ones after it. I was really hoping to get the .1.1 update, cause I have a road trip coming up soon, and would like to see if I get faster supercharging. But part of me is like do I dare install a new software version before a big trip?

dougk71 | 2019年5月3日

I had the same thing ( both screens went black) and the system rebooted while driving on I75. The auto lane change needs some work. A human driver can see traffic entering the Interstate at some distance in front. The human driver will anticipate that the entering traffic will slow the inside lanes so the driver stays in the current overtaking lane until past the intersection and then comes down a lane. The Tesla automation will lane change from the passing lane into the oncoming congestion then brake to slow down and then switch back to the lane it just left and accelerate.The automation either doesn't see far enough forward or can't anticipate that the lane switching is unproductive.

dougk71 | 2019年5月3日

Yes, I know you can tap the screen to cancel the auto lane change request before some one points it out.
I have read the manual and also the shop manual just in case some one will claim I haven't.
I think 2019.12 has some issues and I just want to know if others have had the Tesla reboot while driving at the speed limit on an Interstate

barrykmd | 2019年5月4日

booshtukka | May 2, 2019
FYI “wallah” is not a thing.

Isn't it half a town in Washington state?

Silver2K | 2019年5月4日

I had the seat go back on me after both screen went out and while driving and my wife was with me. We took advantage of the situation.

Thank you, Marshawn Lynch.

dougk71 | 2019年5月4日

@barrykmd and @Silver2K
Your comments are often spectacularly unhelpful and rarely funny.
Perhaps you don't understand that having a Tesla reboot at highway speeds is a problem.
Perhaps your parents allow you to drive their Tesla but owners that spent their own money often around $100 K are much more purposeful and responsible in their postings.
Many of us want to get improvements from Tesla so we document issues for responsible comment from others.

Silver2K | 2019年5月4日

It's not a problem.

I love you

Silver2K | 2019年5月4日

Dougk71,

Tesla has done everything to provide ways to report issues. There is the note option via voice command in the car, there is a support email, there is the schedule service option in the app and call option in the about Tesla drop down on the center screen. If it is urgent you can schedule it through the app or call and they do get back to you quickly according to my experience.

As for owning a 100k car? One must wonder how some folks can afford it when they are so....

barrykmd | 2019年5月4日

Silver - I think our posts are funny, don't you.
dougk71 - My parents are dead.

dougk71 | 2019年5月4日

I suppose your argument is if there is another way to responsibly discuss issues then that permits unhelpful comments in this forum. For the unfunny person whose parents are deceased I am sorry they are no longer here to transfer to their child that childish humor is rarely ever funny when practiced by an adult.

Silver2K | 2019年5月4日

barrykmd | May 4, 2019
Silver - I think our posts are funny, don't you.
-------
You know it!

Mathew98 | 2019年5月4日

Come on children. You don't know if you were insulting a retired doctor or a professional technician. Everyone here paid $100K for their Model S here some years ago.

Go to your respective corner and take a time out!

Bighorn | 2019年5月4日

Strange thread

GHammer | 2019年5月4日

Bighorn | May 4, 2019
Strange thread

Agreed, all this hoopla over single computer lockup. The MS BSOD comment pretty much summed it up.

Bighorn | 2019年5月4日

Helpful, yet not unfunny:)

Bighorn | 2019年5月4日

I’ve had lunch with barry in Denver and been stalked by silver in Syracuse. I don’t get the unprovoked character assassination nor the wildly inaccurate pigeonholing. True, they’re not funny, unless your aesthetic leans to the gauche pictorial—only a few of us are outfit with rapier wit:)

I would characterize reboot anxiety as a neurotic tendency.

NKYTA | 2019年5月4日

Wouldn’t Hattori Hanzo be sharper @BH?

Time and reboots heal all wounds.

(From a DevOps guy, no matter the platform (and yes Win sucks). ;-)

To Doug: “Perhaps you don't understand that having a Tesla reboot at highway speeds is a problem.”

It isn’t.

“Perhaps your parents allow you to drive their Tesla but owners that spent their own money often around $100 K are much more purposeful and responsible in their postings.”

My parents are in their 80’s.

“Many of us want to get improvements from Tesla so we document issues for responsible comment from others.”

@doug, we are 6+ years ahead of you.

What are missing?

Bighorn | 2019年5月4日

@NKYTA
I finish mine with a 0.125 micron diamond spray on roo strop. Not sure.

NKYTA | 2019年5月4日

Point vs blade. Pointed, vs sharp?

Point taken. Sharpie debatable.

Damn, this apparently is no fun, when I thought it was...

dougk71 | 2019年5月4日

Well,
They say Tesla engineering graduates don't read this forum.
I can see why from the diminishing of a real observation that a Tesla rebooted at highway speed.
The childish noise drowns out any meaningful discussion.
Tesla engineers would have to ignore so much drivel to get to any responsible feed back.
Sure continue to be childish and know you will make little impact in the grownup world most of us occupy.

Bighorn | 2019年5月4日

The ignorance is growing. Clearly hasn’t been invited by Tesla to be an EAP (not that EAP, the original one) beta tester to get valid feedback. The Tesla engineers I’ve met were pulled out of college so are not engineering graduates—Tesla prefers on-the-job training. I’ve got their emails and will share important critiques. They aren’t allowed to take part in the forums.

ST70 | 2019年5月4日

@dougk71- go find another forum then....we're fine here....thanks for playing!...dumb@ss!

dougk71 | 2019年5月5日

My expectations maybe were too high. We also have a Niro PHEV and read their forum. The responses on that forum are responsible and informative. Niro's are priced lower than Tesla's yet the forum is pleasant. Many would think a Tesla forum would be as good or better. Unfortunately there are a small number of posters on this forum that frequently are dismissive of posters that inform of issues.
@ST70 maybe you are the owner of this forum if so maybe you have the right to tell others to go elsewhere.
All I pointed out is my 2018 Model s 100d rebooted at highway speed something I thought was interesting to a forum provided by Tesla for all Tesla owners not just a forum for a self appointed few that may have usurped the purpose Tesla intended.
Obviously a small minority aren't at all interested.

Silver2K | 2019年5月5日

So a simple joke was not pleasant?

You're the one that got upset/unpleasant, because Barry and I joked.

barrykmd | 2019年5月5日

dougk71 has no credibility. He misuse's apostrophe's.