Forums

2019.16 starting to roll out

2019.16 starting to roll out

I noticed on TeslaFi that people are starting to receive 2019.16, which has a bunch of new features according to https://electrek.co/2019/05/07/tesla-updates-sentry-mode-driving-visuali....

The two features I think people will like most are the ability to enable Sentry Mode by default but exclude certain locations, and the ability to request software updates as soon as they’re available (though some might regret doing so).

If you get 2019.16, let us know if there’s anything else that wasn’t mentioned in the Electrek article. The other features mentioned in the article were driving visualization changes and conditional speed limits — no mention of Enhanced Summon, so don’t expect that.

jordanrichard | 2019年5月12日

“Conditional speed limits”. Ummm, what? Perhaps this in a thing in CA, but here on the east coast, we don’t have that. Yes, it is recommended that in bad weather like rain, one should drive slower, but there is law/set limit.

jefjes | 2019年5月12日

Conditional as in school zone times, construction zone reduced speeds, etc. but that would seem to require actually reading signs and being able to understand times on those that would restrict those speed limits. Hope that is the case as that will be a needed ability to reach fully autonomous driving but would be surprised if it is.

PrescottRichard | 2019年5月12日

IIRC when I was at the AFB in Tucson there were daytime & nighttime speed limits, or something like that which struck me odd. Maybe conditional is for stuff like that?

Guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

BTW- loved the line about requesting updates and possibly regretting it later :)

EVRider | 2019年5月12日

Here’s what the release notes say about Conditional Speed Limits, according to the Electrek article: “Your vehicle will now display conditional speed limits, such as speed limit based on time of day, weather condition, etc. If there is a conditional speed limit for your current road, it will be displayed in grey below the regular speed limit sign.”

kcheng | 2019年5月14日

"The two features I think people will like most are the ability to enable Sentry Mode by default but exclude certain locations,"

The Stats app can do that, and it's been very useful not having to think about setting Sentry Mode on or off every time I get out of the car.

EVRider | 2019年5月14日

@kcheng: I know there are third-party solutions, but it's better when Tesla provides them. Not everyone wants to use third-party apps, and soon we won't have to in order to make Sentry Mode work the way most people want it to.

EVRider | 2019年5月15日

Looks like 2019.16.1.1 started rolling out today. (Source: https://teslafi.com/firmware)

rxlawdude | 2019年5月15日

@EV, still rare as hens' teeth.

PrescottRichard | 2019年5月15日

Can someone get rid of that blackiysto post? I feel weird seeing my post used to spam links on people.

jimglas | 2019年5月15日

just need it flagged by 7 owners

EVRider | 2019年5月16日

Received 2016.16.1 today (2018 S100D). It's been reported in the forum that the 2019.16.1.1 update I mentioned yesterday is only going to older (pre-HW2) cars.

My release notes did not mention anything about conditional speed limits, as reported in the Electrek article. They did mention driver visualization changes, Sentry Mode improvements, and Swedish language support (not mentioned in the article).

jordanrichard | 2019年5月16日

I too got 2019.16.1.1 but my car even pre dates AP1. What I got was the addition of Swedish language and ability to get updates sooner I guess would be the best way to describe it.

EVRider | 2019年5月16日

@jordanrichard: Yes, 2109.16.1.1 is going to pre-HW2 cars, including those that have no AP hardware. The two features you didn’t get require HW2 and later.

I changed the software update option to Advanced, so we’ll see how long it takes to get the next update.

Our Model 3 hasn’t gotten 2019.16.1 yet, but I expect it will soon.

EVRider | 2019年5月17日

A heads up about the enhancement to Sentry Mode. When I got 2019.16.1 yesterday, I enabled Sentry Mode while in my garage and selected Home as a location to be excluded. Today I noticed I lost 15 miles of range since last night (still parked in the garage), so I checked the mobile app to see if Sentry Mode was on, and it was. I turned it off using the new Sentry Mode icon on the touchscreen, and verified that it was still enabled in settings so it would turn on when I parked somewhere else.

I don’t know if there’s an issue with the excluded locations, or just the steps I used to enable Sentry Mode yesterday caused it to remain on even though I was parked at home (I verified that my home location was set correctly). If you enable Sentry Mode and exclude any locations, I suggest you verify that it remains off at those locations to avoid losing more range than you were expecting. When Sentry Mode is on, it uses about 1 mile of range per hour.

sraftcpa | 2019年5月19日

I'm a newbie, so apologies for the ignorance. I just received my Model 3 two weeks ago (love it!) and there was an immediate update to 2019.12.1.2 5c87371. What is the SOP for getting updates beyond that? Seems like I am a few behind and perhaps some do not apply to all models? Thanks!

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

@sraftcpa: There’s no SOP for getting updates. It can take weeks or even months for an update to roll out to the entire fleet. Being connected to WiFi when your car is parked improves your chances of getting an update. If you have the partial premium interior, WiFi is required for updates.

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

I had the first opportunity to use AP and Navigate on AP yesterday since installing 2019.16.1 on my 2018 S100D. I drove about 140 miles, mostly highway. I noticed that when using AP (and probably just TACC), the car seems a bit “jerky” in how it maintains speed on the highway — braking is not as smooth as it was before. I didn’t encountered any phantom braking incidents.

Navigate on AP made some questionable suggestions for lane changes, including suggesting moving right to the next lane when I was in the rightmost express lane with poles to my right. I haven’t disabled lane change confirmations so I can safely ignore bad suggestions. This was my first time using NoA on this particular route, so I don’t know if the update made any difference. Other than lane change suggestions, NoA performed well.

alan_beaumont2005 | 2019年5月21日

Not sure if it is just me and my 2015 S P85D, but this new update has tried to update my car 3 times so far, and has failed all 3. I hope it was just that each time I was parked in a place with just the built in (slow) 3g and that was the cause. If it is crashing due to a bad software bug/installation, then I won't be happy.
Curious if anyone else has had the same issue.

EVRider | 2019年5月21日

Just got 2019.16.2 today in the Model S. Release notes repeat the content from previous 16.x updates, nothing new, so I assume it’s just bug fixes. I had 16.1 before.

sr.smr | 2019年5月21日

I received 2019.16,2 without any release notes, but I did find the sentry mode exception options and visualization improvements. Does this also include the battery cooling enhancements?

EVRider | 2019年5月22日

Got 2019.16.2 for the Model 3 today and just finished installing it. In addition to the features I got on the Model S, the release notes mention Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance, which I don’t recall seeing the Model S release notes.

The Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is supposed to be enabled by default but can be disabled for the current trip, but when I checked my settings it was disabled.

EVRider | 2019年5月22日

I just confirmed that my Model S doesn’t have the two lane departure features I listed above, so they’re Model 3 only.

drob511 | 2019年5月23日

EVRider, I have a 2017 Model S fully loaded and I called tech support about Lane Departure Avoidance and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance not showing up in firmware update 2019.16.2 and they couldn't explain why the Model S didn't get those features. I find it frustrating to basically have the same hardware as the Model 3 and not get the features that should be the same for the Model S.

EVRider | 2019年5月23日

Tesla’s blog post about the new lane departure features (https://www.tesla.com/blog/more-advanced-safety-tesla-owners) said they were going to Model 3 first. They’ve done that with other features too.

yiujeffrey | 2019年5月27日

I love the new update on

Driving Visualization (automatically zoom in and out)

But

The car details are missing (example real fog lights) from the new car image.

Room for improvement

djensen | 2019年5月29日

Just got 16.3 last night on my M3 LR, RWD, FSD - build 4/19.

I enabled the sentry mode, but excluded 'home' location. When I went out to disconnect the charging cable, sentry was on (and the M3 is in the garage, at home :) and angry I was touching the car. Not sure why it didn't apply the home exclusion- the home location is set of course.

I'll try a few things to see if this is simply an anomaly...

EVRider | 2019年5月29日

@djensen: I found that the excluded location takes effect the next time you park. After you enable Sentry Mode, it doesn’t turn off if you add the current location as an excluded location.

reed_lewis | 2019年5月29日

I would love to upload a picture of my plate and have that appear in the larger visualization.

jimglas | 2019年5月31日

troll flagged