Forums

Cabin Overheat Protection

Cabin Overheat Protection

Do you use this feature? Should i?

lilbean | 2019年5月18日

If there is a possibility you would leave small, helpless children or animals or ice cream in the car, then it should be used.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年5月18日

FYI - Cabin Overheat Protection will keep the interior temp below 105F, not exactly safe for leaving living beings. Do not confuse COP with Dog Mode, which will keep the temp as cool as you like.

ElectricAlex | 2019年5月18日

Cabin overheat protection is to keep the monitor from overheating and getting damaged. Use it, its an absolute must in certain climates.

In the California valley, car can reach 140+ Degrees f in just a few minutes.

ElectricAlex | 2019年5月18日

If you are in a more temerate climate, you opt for no AC setting to save charge

M3phan | 2019年5月18日

In our scorching summer I point vents to the back of the screen before exiting with COP

Frank99 | 2019年5月19日

N.B. - I live in Phoenix, where interior temperatures in June can reach 170F, and surfaces in the sun inside the car can reach 200F.

COP is great - it doesn't take much battery range, and means I can get in the car and grab the steering wheel without worrying about blisters. It means that opening the car door isn't comparable to opening the oven to check on the Thanksgiving turkey. I hope it means that the materials in the car last longer. I use it extensively starting about this time of year - May/June to about September.

COP with the No A/C setting, as ElectricAlex mentions, where I leave it the rest of the year. I'll generally see 10-15F temperature rise in the car relative to the outside air using it (90F outside means 100-105F inside, for example), so it's perfectly fine for the more temperate times of the year. Once they started shipping this option, I enabled it in my car and plan on using it October-May.

If you live in San Francisco and don't travel much out of the city, then no you probably shouldn't use this feature. If you live in Phoenix and park on the street, then I think you'll find COP to be a godsend. So the answer to your question is - it depends.

lbowroom | 2019年5月19日

"Cabin overheat protection is to keep the monitor from overheating and getting damaged."

Say what now?

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年5月19日

COP only works for the first 12 hours of being parked. With that in mind I was thinking it is only for driver comfort upon entering a parked car.

EVRider | 2019年5月19日

There’s no reason not to use the feature. If the car doesn’t get hot enough it won’t do anything, and if the car does get hot enough you’ll be glad to have it. AC doesn’t use that much energy (unlike the heater), and like the previous reply said, it runs at most 12 hours. It also only works when the battery SOC is above 20%.

Halbach | 2019年5月19日

Well there is one reason not to use it....security alarm and therefore sentry mode will not work with it activated. It seems that if it won't work with security alarm on they the menu shouldn't allow you to select it.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年5月19日

@Halbach,
You may be confusing COP with Dog Mode.

jamespompi | 2019年5月20日

I'm in FL and turned it on fan only for a week or so and saw a day where it got to 140 degrees F. Decided to turn COP back on after reading about all the S and X screens getting damages from heat.

Techy James | 2019年5月20日

@Neomaxizoomdweebie, Actual COP works until the car battery drops below 20%. I know this because I left the car in the sun in a parking lot for 3 days, evening on 3rd day even though it was sunny and 80F that day, the inside my car never went above 102F degrees.
This car being a Black with Black interior will get over 105F on a day that is sunny and above 60F. With summer on us, I don't want to risk my USB drive used for Sentry Mode and Dash Cam. I especially don't want damage to occur to the screen because it was damaged by heat. So I will take the little bit loss of range due to Sentry Mode and AC keeping interior below the 105F mark. On my 3 day trip the lost was only about 35 miles, so just under 12 miles a day.

@Halbach I believe your confusing Dog Mode, which Sentry Mode don't work with. Sentry Mode definitely does work with COP. I have been using the COP and Sentry Mode together for Months. My car don't feel like an oven when I get in, and typically get at least 1 or 2 events from Sentry Mode. Granted most of these events is just someone walking by. Now if I had poor Fido in the car with Dog Mode, and someone actually trigger the Sentry Mode alarm he would be tortured with the load Music and car alarm. Their hearing is a lot more acute than ours so it only makes sense Dog Mode don't work with Sentry Mode.