Forums

WiFi Connectivity Issue

WiFi Connectivity Issue

Although I have a very strong Wi-Fi connection in my garage, my M3 has difficulty connecting to the network. Most of the time I get a pop-up screen that says, “could not join Tesla security net. Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings.“

Usually after several tries, or a soft reboot, I can then get connected.

Any suggestions?

Kary993 | 2019年5月22日

What security are you using on your Wifi access point? Sometimes I have seen that being the issue.

jrojasortho | 2019年12月30日

Tried reboot times 4, turning car off, a couple of times after reboot it switched momentarily to the WiFi and immediately back to LTE.

jrojasortho | 2019年12月30日

Now does not pickup the broadcast name

Scrannel | 2019年12月30日

Suggest parking near a known wifi beside your own to see if it connects.

peterbull2004 | 2019年12月31日

I tried connecting my new Model 3 to my Home WiFi whilst on my drive (strong signal) I entered the Wi-Fi password when prompted but was told that the password was incorrect and to try again? I KNOW that the password I entered was correct; I even checked it on my computer. So I'm stuck - does anyone have any ideas?

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年12月31日

Perhaps you can set up the router for no password at all. Then see if you can connect.

rehutton777 | 2019年12月31日

Lonestar10: Danger, Danger! Setting up the router with no password is just inviting neighbors and hackers to enter your car's (and home's) network. I wouldn't do that!

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年12月31日

Agreed. Its just to determine whether the WiFi circuitry on the car is functional. The password protection would need to be reestablished immediately after the experiment.

keys | 2019年12月31日

Just got the car 2 days ago, at home in my drive my wifi signal is average (cell connects easily) but it finds nothing.At work it see's my wifi. At first it was giving me that error about the DHCP settings. I changed the settings in the router to give the tesla a fixed ip address and it connected right away. Downloaded software and updated. Today it's telling me another update is available but after arriving at work it would not connect to wifi. Messed around with the router again and it still won't connect. What is the deal with premium connectivity? Is there a way to get updates over cell?

EVRider | 2019年12月31日

Don't know if this is related, but some people reported that when typing on the touchscreen in certain contexts, characters were reversed in the input field. Just for the heck of it, try entering the WiFi password backwards.

rob | 2019年12月31日

@keys "Is there a way to get updates over cell?"

Yes if you make your phone a hotspot.

Scrannel | 2019年12月31日

Mine rejected my passwords on all three routers. Next morning I came down and it had connected. I've learned to ignore its negativity.

skip | 2019年12月31日

I am having similar issues with new M3. I have located the WiFi extender into the garage, so the 2.4 and 5.0 single strength is strong. M3 will see both networks, but will not connect and I get the “Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings.“ message. I have rebooted care, without success. What is next step?

Scrannel | 2020年1月1日

Skip. As I mentioned (and this happens off and on for me) I will choose a wifi and it will give me the no-way response (same error you're getting). I'll hit retry and, usually, it will then connect. Sometimes it still refuses, at which point I walk away. After about fifteen or so minutes I come back and it will be connected. After the last few updates, it does connect more reliably. That's all I can tell you. Have you tried a different router? We have a T-Mobile Hotspot device in one building. A TP-Link Router in another. And a FIOS (Frontier) router in the main house. My car sees and is able to connect to all of them. But I have a Netgear extender on the FIOS which gives the strongest signal, and it connects with that as well.

Scrannel | 2020年1月1日

Well, had a no-connect this morning and tried a reboot -- worked.

tammiandriley | 2020年3月29日

102 miles on new M3 long range.
WiFi connectivity issue described above continues.

This is a software issue not a home WiFi issue. Happens with phone pairing and hone WiFi.

DHCP error persist even while the car connects for about 10 seconds, shows connected on my router monitoring app. Then the connection falls off and goes back to the complimentary premium LTE.

WiFi profile list does not update consistently and confirmed connections pop up and fall off.

Password error will still pop up even when it has already confirmed and loaded the WiFi profile. This also occurs with both phone pairing confirmed profile and home WiFi confirmed profile.

I really can’t believe everyone is accepting of this horribly buggy software. Can you imagine more basic car functionality systems fails while driving? If they can’t even build a reliable WiFi connectivity system, what can they build.

lbowroom | 2020年3月29日

Haven’t experienced any of those issues. My car connects to my WiFi without fail.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年3月29日

Home WiFi needs firmware/software to work properly so yeah, could be a software issue with your device or provider.

No issues with our Comcast hub and Netgear extenders.

EVRider | 2020年3月29日

@tammiandriley: Which software version do you have? I haven't had any WiFi issues with any version, in either our Model 3 or Model S. Hopefully you've already tried rebooting, but maybe you have a hardware issue with your WiFi antenna.

Have you tried both 2.4 and 5GHz? I'm using 2.4 (my router doesn't support 5). I'm using an Arris NVG589 Residential Gateway from AT&T U-verse.

cbuchholz2 | 2020年3月29日

I can’t get connected to WiFi. I just had the new hardware installed and it seems like after that my m3 won’t connect. My iPhone and iPad both show good connections to my network. I tried rebooting the car with no success. Error message says cannot connect to the network. Any ideas?

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年3月29日

Try rebooting your router.

Tronguy | 2020年3月29日

Um. So, at my place, we got the wireless router down in the basement of the colonial. Coverage over the rest of the house is actually pretty good, even the second floor. And I had previously noted that my cell had not much trouble connecting to the wireless even when I was in the garage, which, while connected to the rest of the house, sits on concrete and dirt.
Got the M3 in 2018 and immediately noted that the wi-fi connectivity was spotty. Looked closer at my phone while sitting in the car and the wi-fi was barely one bar, which agreed with the car's idea of the signal strength. Hokay: Guess that going sideways through a couple of thick walls, through a narrow crawl-way, and then through more earth, timber, and concrete floor, maybe the wi-fi was getting attenuated a bit :).
So, talked to the cognoscenti and went and got one of the $25 boosters. Stuck it in the second-floor office that had a window overlooking the garage. Result is that one gets the same SSID as the router; and, yeah, the signal strength came up; but (as often happens with these things) data speeds on everything else in the house dropped dramatically. Apparently the packet retransmissions from this kind of box on the same bands plays hob with the overall data rates.
So, read up a bit more: This cheapie $25 box could, with a bit of configuration magic, be turned into an Access Point with its own SSID and frequency band. The single Ethernet jack on the thing that when it was in range booster mode, would provide an Ethernet connection for some random gear, would get re-used as an Ethernet connection back to the router. Cool: I already had a wired Ethernet in the garage for the solar equipment and a small hub. So, configured this $25 box for AP mode, put it on the hub, and, ta-da! a new SSID about two feet from the car.
Car has had no problems connecting to that and have had all the updates since fall of 2018 come through the thing.
Now, I got this AP rigged for WPA2 with a passphrase and TKIP, if memory serves, and I block MAC addresses that aren't on the approved list. I'm not a fan of WPS approach to life and, if I can, disable it. @cbucholz2, exactly how are you trying to connect? How's your home wi-fi configured?

billroger | 2020年3月30日

Trying to connect Tesla Model 3 to home wifi network. I'm on the ground floor of my condo, parking is about 20 yards away Google Mesh wifi did NOT work. Any suggestions??

Tronguy | 2020年3月31日

@billroger: So, wi-fi. One of the problems with wi-fi isn't so much the range as the interference. Say one is in one's house and has wi-fi up and running. On a particular channel, or, these days, a bunch of channels welded together to get a higher data rate. Say one's neighbor happens to be set up the same way.
If the signal in one's house is 20 dB greater than the neighbor's wi-fi signal, then there won't be much trouble. But say that it's closer than that.
Even if one is not using the same SSID or even the same WPA vs. WPA2 vs. WEP vs. TKIP, etc., a wireless packet is a wireless packet: If receivers see data from two different systems at the same time, they'll hold off $RANDOM time and retransmit. The effect will be to slow down the data rate. In the fringe, where the signals are roughly equal or in the noise, nothing gets through.
There are spectrum analyzer-style software packages that one can run on a laptop that will tell one what channels are active and how large they are. I suspect that if you were in a quiet neighborhood (your house, and it's 100 yards to the next house) you'd be fine; it's probably a neighbor's signal that's causing the interference.
Given that you're in a condo association, it's a flip of the coin as to whether there even are any clear channels at that distance. First thing is to get one of those spectrum analyzer apps and give it a shot.
Also: In general, 2.4 GHz will give one slightly better range than 5 GHz (goes through walls better), but has the disadvantage that microwaves and some baby monitors can blank out things.