Forums

Loss of monitoring (ie. mysolarcity.com)

Loss of monitoring (ie. mysolarcity.com)

Having only owned my Tesla solar system for about 8 months, I'm completely floored at this announcement:

---
https://www.tesla.com/support/using-your-account

Can I monitor solar production on my desktop?
No, solar system production monitoring will only be available using your Tesla app.

Can I still view my historical system impact and usage?
Yes. Once you’ve selected either ‘Impact’ or ‘Energy Usage’, you can select from preset timeframes to view your historical data.

However, you will no longer be able to download data on your historical production. To continue accessing your solar monitoring data, retrieve and download it from your MySolarCity account before August 1, 2019.
---

This is outrageous! I have a many thousand dollar solar system on my roof and the only means I have to monitor it is a phone app with no ability to see graphs of real time usage or production, compare historical data beyond a limited range, and no option to download data for my own analysis and record keeping?! I own this system, Tesla has no right to restrict my access like this. Clearly Tesla just burned any thought I had about expanding my system with a PowerWall, or any other Tesla product.

Is this a breach of contract? What are my options to replace this useless monitoring that Tesla now offers? What are my minimum requirements to let this useless monitoring system check-in to maintain my warranty?

davidwaltz123 | 2019年11月14日

Hello,
Wanted to share a slightly different experience. I am too a Solar City transplant. Initially the monitoring app did not work on my android phone or iPad as app did not find any product to link to. I did open a trouble ticket. About 2 to 3 weeks got a reply back and it was fixed. Once I had a person, they were very responsive to my other questions. (just disappointed it took so long initially to get help)

Here is my new findings. The app also shows how much power I am sending to the grid during peak production, do not believe the Solar City app showed that.
Second key part is now you can download the data in csv format and use it on you PC. The app must have been updated since the summer as initially, that was not a feature (that I was aware of based on forum complaints). With the app, I can go back through all my old data, back to when my solar panels were installed in 2015.

Overall, I do miss not being able to view the graph directly on PC. However, having the ability to download CSV files of the data, I do have the ability to track on my PC in a couple of steps.

Good luck!

gregbrew | 2019年11月14日

Yes, you *were* able to download data on the old MySolarCity site. In my case, Tesla did not port over my old production data from 2015-2019. My Tesla app data starts from when I got my Powerwalls, and I have to add historical data (downloaded fro the MySolarCity site) to the Tesla data for my lifetime production figure moving forward.

bartsubs | 2020年2月4日

Class action anyone?

dawgnut | 2020年2月5日

On my app, I'm now receiving a "There are no products linked to your Tesla account". I had Solar City. I was able to access my Tesla account on their app a couple of weeks ago. Is anyone else having this issue?

dawgnut | 2020年2月5日

On my app, I'm now receiving a "There are no products linked to your Tesla account". I had Solar City. I was able to access my Tesla account on their app a couple of weeks ago. Is anyone else having this issue?

bob | 2020年2月6日

I installed a Sense power monitor, it shows both production and use, and can even figure out what devices and appliances in your home are using the power. And since it's your own hardware monitor, it's not subject to the whims of Tesla. It's simple to install, just 4 current clamps inside your breaker box (2 each for solar and utility power legs) and a wifi antenna that fits into a 3/4" pop-out. Links up to your network and sends stats to Sense, which you can view on their app.

rwhite002 | 2020年2月8日

Can anyone access the Billing Portal on the App? There isn't even an option to choose from!

SteveWin1 | 2020年2月9日

SolarEdge, for those of you who have it, has a web-based portal. This from their user manual: "To use the SolarEdge monitoring portal, your system installer will create and register your system in the
Portal and then add you as the system owner."

Sounds like the portal has all the stuff you guys were missing from what SolarCity used to offer, all Tesla needs to do is register you as the system owner. You might also try registering as an installer yourself and see if you can gain control of your own info. It requires a serial number, which I assume is somewhere on the equipment. Or maybe try contacting SolarEdge customer service directly and explain the situation.

jeff | 2020年2月11日

The Tesla app works nicely if you're using the Tesla Gateway with it and you have a good internet connection for the Gateway. It has a built in cellular config that uses some private AT&T cell network, but we find that where we are in Puerto Rico, the cell service comes and goes. You can see this in the GUI (Graphical User Interface) of the Gateway, accessible either on your own LAN, or via the built-in low range wifi access point in the Gateway. Reporting is much more consistent letting the Gateway on via ethernet and letting the router give it a fixed IP address. That stays connected a lot better than the cell, and I also think the erratic cell presence messes with the WiFi to your network, (not the built-in low range) so ethernet is the preferred connection method. In any event, the app gives a great deal more info than the GUI of the Gateway. Pretty primitive.

gregbrew | 2020年2月12日

I should point out that what Jeff describes is the Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG) that comes with Powerwall installations. The TEG is a large box (~40cm square by 10cm high) that connects to the residence main electrical panel. The TEG can communicate to the Tesla servers via the cell network, WiFi to the residence or wired Ethernet to the residence.

Tesla solar-only installations get a little Communications Gateway box (~10cm square, by 3cm high). The Com Gateway communicates with the solar inverter via Zigbee RF, and talks to the residence router via a *wired* Ethernet connection. The Com Gateway does *not* use WiFi.

jawalker | 2020年2月20日

Why is it when I download the detailed data (every 15 minute readings) from the app that the totals of the columns is nowhere near the total for the day. For example on 2/18 my data shows generating 4.3 but the detail adds up to 14. Anyone figure out the formula to untangle the detailed info?

rogerdata | 2020年2月20日

I am still having issues with the app. As stated above the values that come trough every 15 minutes are incorrect. Also my main page data used to update very rapidly but has not done so in several months. I have complained over the phone, had service come out to no avail. I for one think that data that updates on the main screen is useless if only updated ever 15 min or more!
I have purchased a monitor offered by openEnergyMonitor called Iotawatt and I send that data to emoncms where I can program several graphs and charts as well as use their Solar.PV app. I see this on my cell or can use my PC. The cost to do this was approx $200. since I installed the system myself. The cost to host the data is very reasonable.(17 feeds 21. dollars per year). I will be sending a bill to Tesla. I anxiously await someone with legal expertise to start a class action witch I would take part in.
By the way all of the Tesla manuals and info in my contract use wording like "instantaneous data" what a joke!
If you want to look at info about the system I mentioned go to www.iotawatt.com and www.emoncms.org. I have absolutely no financial ties to ether of them.

rogerdata | 2020年2月20日

By the way. The data from the system I mentioned updates every three seconds.

gregbrew | 2020年2月20日

I don't know about yours, but the data in my Tesla app updates continuously on the "Power Flow" page. This continuous data is then integrated over a fifteen minute interval for the app reporting graphs. This data, from the Current Transformers (CTs) feeding the large Tesla Energy gateway (TEG) is a few percent different than what's on the front of my inverter. YMMV.

Data can also be downloaded via the old Solar Guard site, if you know where to look. (Solar Guard actually predates the old MySolarCity site and Powerwalls.) The Solar Guard data agrees exactly with what's on the front of my inverter, as it's coming to the Solar Guard server from the inverter via my little Communications Gateway, instead of from the TEG and CTs that came with the Powerwalls that feed the Tesla app.

Getting data from two different sources can make things confusing, but if available, what's coming from the inverter itself (via the little Communications Gateway box) will be the most accurate. It's a revenue-grade measurement that Tesla uses for billing, if applicable. IIRC, the CTs that feed the TEG aren't revenue grade.

rogerdata | 2020年2月20日

gregbrew Good for you! Many of us are not as fortunate as you. As I stated. My data on the power flow page only updates every 15 or more minutes. I have devoted enough of my time trying to get Tesla to fix this. It is now time to take further actions! I am on the east coast and have heard many with the same problem. Tesla has told me they think the 15 or more minutes to update what is suppose to be instantaneous is OK. BS
Hearing that you are satisfied does not help me or others!

Noam | 2020年2月20日

1. The openEnergyMonitor project is what I used used to build my own power monitoring system (I build the circuit boards, and wrote the code using their libraries), while I was waiting for my PTO nearly 6 years ago. Even though I didn't add an AC/AC step-down transformer to capture the frequency, it still gives me *relatively* accurate data. I didn't have a consumption meter for about the first year my system was active, so that was my only way to see my usage patterns (my utility data wasn't as easy to use).
2. The old SolarGuard (and if you have the "share" link from your MySolarCity page - the "public" version of your PowerGuide) give the same data (with the caveat that the consumption data might be wrong on the SolarGuard, depending on the CT location and polarity). Depending on the age of the installation, that data either came from revenue-grade metering boards in the inverters, or a separate revenue-grade meter that was installed along with the system. And that data is still available, if you know how to get it (and the API is still working if you know how to write software to use it).
3. The 15-minute interval data has been the main data flow for many, many years (at least since before my system was installed). The communication gateway (not to be confused with the Powerwall TEG) polls the inverters (and external production and/or consumption meters, if installed) every 15 minutes to collect their data, then uploads that data to the Tesla servers. The data is tied to the quarter-hour, but the upload takes place on a rolling 15-minute interval, based on when the Gateway was powered up (not necessarily *on* the quarter hour). It is staggered to provide some load-balancing for the servers (with the expectation that statistically, the gateways would have booted up at roughly evenly-distributed random times).
4. Older systems (prior to about 2015/2016 were set up with an older communication gateway, that didn't have the capability of doing real-time data transfer (the "now" tab in the PowerGuide used this). So my guess is those systems still won't be able to get a live power flow in the Tesla app. If your installation is old enough, it might have one of those older gateways. Did you have the "now" tab in the PowerGuide?

Pages