Forums

"Extension Cord"

"Extension Cord"

Hopefully, the answer is yes. Although I have no issues charging at 115 v and adding 4+ mph my clothes dryer is on a 30 amp line (through the wall) is about 4 1/2 feet away if I run the cable properly. As I can buy dryer cable on e-Bay/Amazon for cheap ($14-$18)and also the appropriate socket for the Tesla cable is there anything that I am not recognizing vs the ready made cables for $90+++++ ? Your thoughts?

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年6月8日

You can easily buy stock electric cord and attach the correct plugs/receptacles as needed. Everything you need can be purchased at your local Home Depot.

evol216 | 2019年6月8日

This is actually how I charge at home. I purchased a NEMA 10-30 (dryer connection-male) to NEMA 14-50 (Tesla charger-female) adapter on Amazon, along with a 30 ft NEMA 14-50 extension cord. I live in an older 1960’s ranch style home where the fuse box supports a max of 60 amps. Needless to say, adding a 50 amp breaker would’ve required an entirely new breaker box and upgraded electrical run. For $150, the adapter and extension cable were a much cheaper option. I set the car to charge at a max of 26amps, as not to overload it, and I get about 25-26 miles-per-hour charge rate. Plenty to fully charge over night.

kevin_rf | 2019年6月8日

Make sure it can handle the current you plan on drawing. It's very easy to melt an extension cord. Check the current rating... The thing should be as fat as a hotdog.

JDev | 2019年6月8日

@evol216, charging should be limited to 24 amps, not 26 amps on a 30 amp circuit. NEC specifies circuit must be rated at least 125% of continuous current (max continuous current is 80% of rated max/breaker).

smogne41 | 2019年6月9日

You can do what you describe, but a safer option is to make the extension cable terminate in a NEMA 10-30 or 14-30 (whatever is on the other end, just a socket instead of plug) and buy the proper $35 gen 2 adapter from Tesla. This way the charger automatically sets the current to the proper limit. With putting a 14-50 end on there the car will try to draw too much current unless you manually set the limit. I prefer less things to remember to do myself :)