Forums

Consumer Reports is craptastic

Consumer Reports is craptastic

Consumer Reports’ automobile journalism sucks; their bias is clearly against Tesla.
Just needed to vent—thanks, fam.

dmm1240 | 2019年6月21日

I agree. CR's model is built on comparing the 2019 model to 2018 version to the 2017 model, and so on. Tesla's over the air updates make worrying about what model year one buys obsolete.

Their testers understand gas/diesel cars but are somewhat clueless when it comes to EVs. Gas tank capacity, horsepower, all the benchmarks they love become close to or entirely useless. The amount of text it takes to interpolate causes readers' eyes to glaze over. What they're reduced to is: "This car is fast" and counting cupholders.

The Tesla disruption is evidently more widespread than even we owners/fans realize.

andy.connor.e | 2019年6月21日

Consumer reports is bias anyway. The fact that they are biased towards a particular automobile manufacturer is all the evidence you need to determine that nothing is authentic. How do we know that they arent being paid off to promote a certain lawnmower brand?

reed_lewis | 2019年6月21日

What sold me on Consumer Reports being garage was when they preferred a Sears TV over a Sony Trinitron TV year ago. A Sony Trinitron is the gold standard of Tube TVs. The Sears was not a Trinitron tube, but it was significantly cheaper so they preferred that one.

They are too focused on price in my opinion.

TabascoGuy | 2019年6月21日

I thought the term was craptacular?

TeslaTap.com | 2019年6月21日

Ok, looks like I'm in the minority, but I like CR and they seem far more honest than most reviews you see today. They are clearly not perfect, but generally lay out the testing and facts fairly well. They also do actual testing and try to be consistent between different items under test.

For cars, you have to understand they think the readership demographic is a family of 4, who don't want to pay a lot, and want the basics with a lot of safety. Car with 2 seats - major downgrade. Car with power - not that suitable or important (to CR). Luxury or fun (a hard to describe criteria) is rarely considered. It's transportation - if it gets you from A to B in safety, that's the #1 criteria - and that's fine for the people looking for that combination. Just many people have different desires and wants.

Now where they tend to get it wrong is in the surveys they run to figure out how reliable a car is. An engine that blows up and catches fire is ranked the same as one with a loose spark plug wire. A computer reboot is the same as a total infotainment head-end replacement. Still the info has some value, you just have to know how it is put together.

SamO | 2019年6月21日

They should stick to reviews that involve objective measurements.

When they test how loud a washing machine is, I feel like their research services a purpose.

But their clickbait automotive personality-driven "journalism" is garbage.

And they still haven't gotten over Tesla breaking their entire evaluation scoring system with the Model S.

https://www.consumerreports.org/video/view/cars/auto-test-track/44435120...

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年6月21日

+1 @TeslaTap.

I am a big fan of CR, and I use it consistently to buy higher ticket-price items. I don’t care for their hamburger or toothbrush reviews, but I completely trust them with appliances/paints/windows/sliding glass doors, etc. After 15 years of relying on their recommendations, I have never had cause to doubt them.

Until now. They clearly have a blind spot when it comes to Tesla automobiles. Not sure why. I did read the CR M3 review before I bought my M3, but I decided that this time they are wrong. And there is definitely an anti-Tesla bias in their reports. I am happy to say my M3 is the car of my dreams. To quote Mary Poppins, “Practically perfect in every way.”

I still use CR as a reference when buying other pricy things. They are great for the most part with their recommendations. But I will never again trust their car-buying guide.

I don’t think that they are being paid to bash Tesla, I just think they are largely blind and drunk when they rate the M3.

IflyI95 | 2019年6月21日

They actually praised the Audi for accelerating more slowly than the Tesla. Gotta be an absolute first in the history of the automotive industry. Don't they realize how stupid that makes them look? I don't know about the 3, but my S has a "chill" mode if you don't like quick acceleration. I'm surprised that they didn't praise it for being ugly and having relatively poor range with no charging infrastructure.
I'm done with that rag.

IflyI95 | 2019年6月21日

They actually praised the Audi for accelerating more slowly than the Tesla. Gotta be an absolute first in the history of the automotive industry. Don't they realize how stupid that makes them look? I don't know about the 3, but my S has a "chill" mode if you don't like quick acceleration. I'm surprised that they didn't praise it for being ugly and having relatively poor range with no charging infrastructure.
I'm done with that rag.

DanFoster1 | 2019年6月21日

@dtodd16 exactly! These are the things that set me off today. What a bunch of crap.