Forums

Selecting replacement tires for a model X

Selecting replacement tires for a model X

I apologize if this has been covered before. I can't find any search function in this forum, so I don't know how to find previous threads on this topic.

My wife's 2017 Model X needs new tires. The OEM tires were Continental cross contact lx sport, but they only lasted 30,000 miles. So I'm looking for alternatives that will last longer. I've found three possibilities discussed various places online:

1. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS
2. Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system
3. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

I was wondering what experiences people had with these. Particularly, how is the traction in bad weather (rain and light snow), and, just as important, how are they very noise?

Any help would be appreciated.

My wife's tires sizes are 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear.

Ben

Jackman | 2019年7月30日

I just replaced the original Continentals on my early 2017 MX at 35K miles with Scorpion Verde A/S +, same sizes as yours. I notice no increase in road noise. Only time will tell if mileage is another 35k. No idea about wet road conditions since I live in SoCal where it doesn't rain. BTW, I bought Verdes because they were locally available at Americas Tire at a decent price, where other recommended tires were not.

mbirnie51 | 2019年7月30日

2017 MX 75D: I just turned 38,000 miles on my original Continentals, and have about 4,000 left before I need new tires. About 70 % of my driving is extended trips on interstate roads. I will probably replace with same Continentals...Les Schwab gave me a quote for 50K warranty of 1,250.00 I will look at other vendors for price comparison but my MS P85 with contis went 32,000 before needing new rubber.

MasterT | 2019年7月31日

I've had much less luck with the OEM Continentals CrossContact - the rear was replaced due to damage (internal side separation) at 10,000 miles but it really had not thread left at the time of damage, maybe couple thousand miles (the damaged tires were replaced with the same brand and model); the front was replaced at 13k miles due to wear - it was completely worn out. I'm not sure why I got so few miles out of these tires - I dont speed, dont race, very mild acceleration. All tires were worn out evenly - no camber. All my driving is local with very few highway miles, I wonder if that has to do with short life of the tires.

So I decided to try different tires in hopes of better mileage. I really like Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for their wet performance (I live in FL) but their 265 size for the front is just shy of the required load rating and Tesla service would not install it. So I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for the front and will put Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 on the rear when CrossContacts wear out

I've had Michelin Pilot Sport for about 2k miles now and like them much better than CrossContact - I think they're less noisy and preform much better, especially in wet - the grip is unbelievable.

khanhvn | 2019年7月31日

Lask week I got a tire puncture. After 36K miles, my OEM tires still had 4-5K left, but I decided to get 4 new tires. Tesla mobile roadside service put on 4 new OEM Continentals tires on the spot the next day which saved me a trip to a service center :) Total cost is $1450 which I think is reasonable.

inconel | 2019年7月31日

MasterT can you not put the PS A/S 3 in rear as well?

MasterT | 2019年8月1日

@inconel - that tire model does not come in 275/45 size

ben | 2019年8月1日

Our Tesla service center quoted us $2,000 for four tires (265 in front, 275 in rear) installed. For tires that only last 30,000 miles?

The comment from MasterT mentioned that DWS 06 tires don't meet the load requirements on the front (265 size). I thought they did. How do I confirm the load requirements on our car?

Anyone with experience with the Pirelli tires?

Triggerplz | 2019年8月1日

Last year it was reported that these tires were made for electric vehicles they may be out by now
https://electrek.co/2018/03/08/goodyear-tire-electric-cars-reduce-wear-i...

BlackTeslaX | 2019年8月2日

I got my Model X from someone with slightly worn tires, so I got the new set of Continentals, exactly the same ones as I had before. Maybe when the new set gets worn, I'll try out something different...

ben | 2019年8月2日

Triggerplz, thanks for pointing out that Goodyear tire for electric cars. I'm not a big fan of Goodyear, but I can see this being a trend for all brands as electric cars become more common, especially as the M3 owners start buying replacement tires in large quantities in a couple of years.

Now for my update for my original post: we picked up a nail puncture in one of the tires. Rather than fight with repair the tire, I moved up the time table to get new tires and we're having them installed today. We're getting the Pirelli Scorpion Verge All Season Plus, which come in the right sizes with the right load factors. The only downside is that the speed rating on the front tires will only be h instead of v. The tire shop (Discount Tires) assures me this isn't a problem.Cross our fingers.

beaver | 2019年8月3日

I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 on my Model 3 and I am very happy. Shop around, check out America’s Tire

hoffenberg | 2019年8月5日

I had 3 flats with my originals, so when it came time for replacements, did the Pirellis at discount tire. about 1200 dollars, so far so good. I do not notice any road noise change

ScooterJim | 2019年8月5日

I have a 2016 X90D purchased in December 2016. My Con ti had 33,000 miles with about 5,000 miles left. I purchased Pirellis Verde A/S+ Sept 2017 with the Labor Day special pricing and 2 rebates (one from Discount Tire and one from Pirelli), cost was under $1000. It has been 11 months and 22,000 miles on the tires. I had them measured this week because I just completed an 8 week 10,500 mile trip (will enter a separate enter about my trip) and there is 8/32 inch left. Original tread depth is 11/22 inch. They seem as quite as the Conti and wet traction has been good. No snow experience since I live in Atlanta, but will find out this winter as I head to NJ for 2-3 months starting January. I kept the cold tire pressure at 42 psi wherever I am. So on this 10,000+ miles trip I carried a bicycle pump to adjust pressure from extreme places like Phoenix, AZ to Calgary, AB. I adjusted the pressure about 5 times to account for temperature and alitude changes, usually 2-3 psi up or down. I suggest start looking ahead before you need to replace tires and get an idea of the prices, then look at the prices during holiday sales. You could buy them and not install them right away.

hoffenberg | 2019年8月6日

Great post ScooterJim......I am happy with the choice too

Saxman | 2019年8月6日

@Scooter & hoffenberg

My MX 75D was also delivered in December 2016.

Currently 31+K miles on the original Contis. I've spent last 4 winters in Vail, CO and had good traction with Contis, however I will need to replace BEFORE winter.

Do you think Pirellis Verde will be better than Contis?

Thanks

ScooterJim | 2019年8月6日

I think the Pirellis Verde A/S+ would ride just as quite but last longer and seem to handle better also. By the way, I am at 55,000 miles now at 2.5 years. Leaving next week for another 3,000 miles to NJ and Montreal and back. In November heading back to California, and then back to NJ in December. I should have over 65,000 miles by the beginning of January. Leasing would be expensive with the miles I put on. I haven't completed 3 years yet. At least supercharging is free. The Verde A/S+ 275/45-20 are V-rated and the front 265/45-20 are H-rated. Pirelli makes the Scorpion Zero A/S+ in the same sizes and are Y-rated which probably won't last as long and ride harsher, but claim to handle better.

Sam | 2019年8月6日

i have a 2018 model x and i just changed all 4 tires after just 20,000 miles. I put continentals back on, is it me?

mzero | 2019年8月6日

Like MasterT, our 2017 X75 tires only lasted about 13K. Car is mostly driven locally. We put in the same tires as OEM since the local mechanic had them in stock and the car was going thru the yearly inspection and the guy won’t pass it since tires were completely worn out.the next replacement cycle, I will choose something else as these OEM tires wear out too maddeningly fast.

HannahUnderwood2.19 | 2019年8月6日

The choice of tyres for your TESLA Model X is not one to be taken lightly. Several factors need to be considered: from the type and size of the car you have, to the way you use your vehicle in relation to the daily routes you take https://www.myloweslife.us/

gjohnson427 | 2019年8月9日

For the owners not getting many miles, I have a '17 X100D with 24k miles and am almost to the wear bars on the originals. Not sure why, I got nearly 60k out of the original tires on my '04 Avalanche. So, I'll be looking for tires too shortly.

jimglas | 2019年8月9日

did your avalanche weigh 6,000 lbs and have instant torque?