Forums

CCS adapter for Model 3 coming soon?

CCS adapter for Model 3 coming soon?

Now that we have the Chademo adapter, the "promised" CCS adapter can't be far behind.

It's already built and shipping to EU Model S and X owners so they can use the Tesla Superchargers in EU which have been converted to CCS plug.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/03/tesla-ccs-adapter-first-look/

It's very elegant and simple, nothing like the Chademo adapter so it should be much cheaper. Maybe $150? Model S and X owners in EU are paying for it now, I wonder how much? Maybe one of the EU S/X owners will see this and answer it. Unless Tesla is giving it away as Tesla is changing the plugs so no way S/X owners could access the Super Chargers without it.

All that's needed for the Model 3 is the software update to use the plug. Again that should be easy since the Model 3 in EU comes with the CCS plug installed.

The Vancouver Electrify America fast charging station will be my private Idaho...for while.

https://imgur.com/53ZYG15

imnaril | 2019年8月4日

@Fishev,

Just one comment to your post. In Europe the superchargers are being upgraded to allow CCS charging for model 3 (yay!) but they do that by creating stalls that have 2 charger cables instead of one: the CCS for the model 3 owners and the older standard for model S & X.
So, while it would make sense to change the model S/X to CCS standard, it is not required for the supercharger network.

But I do agree with your request for an adapter for the US! Good luck and let's hope it comes soon.

FISHEV | 2019年8月4日

"they do that by creating stalls that have 2 charger cables instead of one: the CCS for the model 3 owners and the older standard for model S & X."@imnaril

Do all the chargers have two cords or just some for the S/X's? Would seem cheaper to have one CCS cord and give all the S/X;s the adapter which looks inexpensive.

How do you find non-Tesla fast chargers to work? Same kW/mph as Teslas?

imnaril | 2019年8月4日

It's more the opposite. Most stalls only have the old connector for S/X and new /upgraded have both. I think that by now all supercharger stations in Europe have at least 2 upgraded stalls. Usually way more.
The car however knows which stalls are model 3 compatible and the nav system shows how many of those are free.
It would not surprise me if they moved in the short term to your proposal, but for the moment it allows them to upgrade gradually the stations.

For the non - Tesla fast chargers we need to use other apps such as Chargepoint. It would be nice if the nav showed them instead of the useless gas stations :D
And for the speed I don't know, I'm still happilly using the free (until September) supercharger for trips and charge at work or a CCS compatible solar and free station close by (22 kW). But other Europeans have tried the fast stations and some may be faster than supercharger V2, just not as easy to find! In general the car handles any CCS stations flawlessly, so it just a matter of price and convenience.

FISHEV | 2019年8月4日

" I think that by now all supercharger stations in Europe have at least 2 upgraded stalls. Usually way more."@imnaril

Do you find the CCS dual plug stalls with good availability?

"But other Europeans have tried the fast stations and some may be faster than supercharger V2, just not as easy to find!"

In US the CCS chargers are by private companies. Is that the same in EU or are does government get involved?

Do you have home charging or do you depend on the Tesla and other public chargers?

imnaril | 2019年8月4日

"Do you find the CCS dual plug stalls with good availability?"

Up until now always had a spot without having to wait. Worse that happened was having to share the stall number with another model 3 in a small station. So overall, no complaints.

"In US the CCS chargers are by private companies. Is that the same in EU or are does government get involved?"

I think that mostly they are privately owned. No government except maybe via subsidies, but I don't know.

"Do you have home charging or do you depend on the Tesla and other public chargers?"

I can charge at home and at work so for the daily commute I don't need third party stations. For road trips the supercharger network has always been a breeze, especially in western Europe. The east has less stations, which means a little bit more planning, but still easy.

bj | 2019年8月5日

@FISHEV - “It's already built and shipping to EU Model S and X owners so they can use the Tesla Superchargers in EU which have been converted to CCS plug.”

You’ve got this back to front. There’s no need for an adaptor for S/X to use Superchargers, because every Supercharger either has one cable (native S/X plug) or two cables (native + CCS2). The point of the adaptor is to enable S/X to use non-Tesla CCS2 charging stations, which are extremely common across Europe.

I believe that Tesla will eventually convert every stall at every SC to have two cables (outside of North America), since there will be way more Model 3s than S/X.

agegamon | 2019年10月17日

Bump, any news on this? Two new fast chargers just came online near my work but they support CCS only, not CHAdeMO. There's also a CCS charger about 5mins from my apartment.

I have the CHAdeMo adapter which is better than nothing, but I'm disappointed that there's no news on a US CCS adapter yet. There are more CCS adapters here than CHAdeMO, and they're cheaper (or free!) compared to Supercharging.

andy | 2019年10月17日

I like the fact that the UK Model 3 comes with CCS as standard. The superchargers have now been upgraded to support both CCS and the earlier Tesla system used by the S and X.

CCS makes things very simple - a connector that looks like a type 2 connector, such as what you have at home and in public car parks, is type 2. Public rapid charge stations have CCS and you use CCS with them. I get around 40kWh, sometimes more, on most public rapid charge 50kWh CCS points. There are fewer free to use ones around these days, but the per unit cost is generally around the same, or cheaper, than superchargers - specially if you use a subscription network.

FISHEV | 2019年10月17日

"There are more CCS adapters here than CHAdeMO, and they're cheaper (or free!) compared to Supercharging."@agegamon

Not so sure about the cheaper part vs. SuperCharger. I pay about $0.31 for non-Tesla 50kW Chademo connections. I've heard no word on the CCS adapter. It would be a nice New Year's gift to Model 3 owners.

-TheJohn- | 2019年10月17日

I'd love to jump in and point out that anything Fishev says is 99.93% likely to be a misdirecting massive lie.
Don't listen to them.