Forums

2019.28.2 Dashcam files all 595 bytes

2019.28.2 Dashcam files all 595 bytes

Yesterday received 2019.28.2 (update from 2019.24.4) and this morning I pulled my USB drive from the car and found all of the MP4 files are only 595 bytes in /RecentClips. I have video from yesterday under /SaveClips which are normal.

I'll check again following my commute home today but none of the files captured from this morning are valid. Sort of a bummer as someone severely cut a corner and nearly hit me so I wanted to review the left repeater and see just how close it was.

Curious if anyone else is having this issue?

LR RWD
Aug '18

Frank99 | 2019年8月6日

I've had that issue. It's kind of random - with the same high-quality USB drive, sometimes I've had all the files short like you, sometimes they all come out great, sometimes two of the three cameras are great and one is corrupt. It really seems random. I had someone ding my car with the door a couple months ago - pulled out the stick, and Sentry had recorded everything except the minute when the ding occurred. Sigh.

Someday a new release will come that makes the dashcam and sentry video recording reliable. Until then, it's a crapshoot whether the video will be usable or not.

wuyun1018 | 2019年12月16日

Folks, most likely, this issue is caused by your usb device speed too fast. I got a USB 3.1 Samsung portable SSD, with this exactly same issue.
Perfectly solved after I switched to an old USB2.0 flash drive...

EVRider | 2019年12月16日

I’m guessing you didn’t pause recording and wait 10+ seconds before removing the USB. If you don’t, the car might not finish writing to the disk before you pull the USB, and you end up with corrupt files (or a corrupt disk). Try reformatting the drive (FAT32) to fix any previous corruption. I don’t think drive speed has anything to do with it.

Lots more TeslaCam info here: https://cammem.com

umibozu | 2019年12月17日

The microSD card can be rated for Class 10, major branded, with a very high write speed. But if the USB-A to SDCARD adapter you are using isn't as fast that microSD card, then it will be written at the slower of the two, the choke point.
Consider there are now 4x HD cameras writing simultaneously to the SD card. Are all of the cameras HD (720p and above)? If using a USB2.0 thumbdrive is working better then that is really odd behaviour.
Alternatively, consider purchasing a single USB3.0 64GB thumb drive, a single unit.

umibozu | 2019年12月17日

The microSD card can be rated for Class 10, major branded, with a very high write speed. But if the USB-A to SDCARD adapter you are using isn't as fast that microSD card, then it will be written at the slower of the two, the choke point.
Consider there are now 4x HD cameras writing simultaneously to the SD card. Are all of the cameras HD (720p and above)? If using a USB2.0 thumbdrive is working better then that is really odd behaviour.
Alternatively, consider purchasing a single USB3.0 64GB thumb drive, a single unit.