Forums

Walmart Sues Tesla

Walmart Sues Tesla

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月21日

Walmart probably hired a non-qualified electrician contractor to install everything and they did it wrong. You know, the walmart way.

JustSaying | 2019年8月21日

“Many of the problems stemmed from a rushed, negligent approach to the systems’ installation,” Walmart said. “Tesla’s predecessor-in-interest -- SolarCity -- had adopted an ill-considered business model that required it to install solar panel systems haphazardly and as quickly as possible in order to turn a profit.”
If so ,my questions are why wasn't this settled out of court and was this suit filed on the day there was "good news" being reported on Tesla's new "rental program?
Not sure how this might enter into the mix of things;
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjaapv/exclusive-walmart-owners-backi...

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年8月21日

@JustSaying The article is 5 years old. The suit is new. It would be very odd they would file a suit before attempting settlement. Do you have information that a settlement was not attempted?

My take is the litigation has been known by Tesla for quite some time and they put up the rental program in anticipation of the news breaking and digging into the solar business.

"Walmart says it spent months trying to work with Tesla to fix the problems but found Tesla's responses unsatisfactory. So it's now suing Tesla"

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/after-seven-roof-fires-walma...

JustSaying | 2019年8月21日

Could be, that's why I asked the questions? Another question was arbitration attempted?
Also, I certainly realize the article is old, I was just wondering if any one knew if the family was still invested in a Company that supported Utility owned solar systems and opposed others.
As a retired CFO of a multi state $3.5 billion in sales company, I have been involved in many disputes, arbitrations and lawsuits and wasted hours in useless "discovery depositions"
I was always counseled "Suffer all indignities before suing or being sued, the only sure winners are the opposing legal teams" In other words lawsuits are the last resort.
JustWondering...

@JustSaying, that is why I am also asking a question, the Socratic method is best. I took from your "question" that you felt timing by Walmart was to cause damage to Tesla's new program and my take is Tesla's new program is a reaction to a lawsuit that they knew was a long time coming. All we have are press releases from a Walmart view since Tesla has not made comment but my experience is that it would be highly unlikely Walmart would jump Tesla with a suit before trying to negotiate out of court. Again, do you have information that negotiations did not take place before a suit was filed?

blue adept | 2019年8月21日

What first needs to be determined is whether or not it is an issue of material/product workmanship, or if the installers were actual Solar City installers/employees, or if they were contracted by Solar City to perform the install, to decide just who/what is at fault.

It is an unfortunate situation either which way.

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月21日

I think what surprises me most is that Walmart is using solar

jimglas | 2019年8月21日

one thing Walmart does well is make money. Solar makes business sense.

JustSaying | 2019年8月21日

"Again, do you have information that negotiations did not take place before a suit was filed?" HUH? Would I waste people's time if did? I was asking questions. Isn't that what Socrates would do? Perhaps your response would be geez I don't know either or good question or "cannot predict now"
A good attorney doesn't ask questions of a witness unless they know the answer ,as I said I am not an attorney ...
I was looking to get some facts to weight in pursuit of the truth...
Done,I will return to my crossword now as this is ruining my appetite for lunch, an In and Out double-double and fries. But God knows I could afford to miss a meal.
JustAsking...

It is not rocket science to understand a leading question that suggests Wallymart timed the suit to hurt Tesla’s announcement. Are you denying making that impression?

stevenmaifert | 2019年8月21日

Oh such fools at Walmart. Don't they understand that Tesla is never ever at fault for anything. Obviously Walmart was using the wrong kind of sunshine and that's why those panels caught fire :(

mos6507 | 2019年8月21日

"Walmart probably hired a non-qualified electrician contractor"

The rationalization hamster is strong with this one.

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月22日

3 years later still preaching the same garbage. Welcome back.

jimglas | 2019年8月22日

mos lives?

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月22日

he has not left us yet < 3

COrich | 2019年8月22日

Walmart has the advantage of directing the narrative right now. But, that doesn't mean they are telling the entire story. Walmart does not have a stellar record themselves so we all need to wait for the facts. Solar panels have been on roofs for a couple decades now without any significant safety issues. So let's not all go off in a panic now.

Just because Walmart says it is so does not mean it is.

rlwrw | 2019年8月23日

It looks like now there may be a better resolution.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/23/tesla-walmart-energize-solar-systems-avoi...

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月23日

"However, what’s been left out of the discussion about Walmart’s lawsuit is the role Tesla played throughout the two companies’ ongoing efforts to resolve the issues and Walmart’s lack of willingness to cooperate even after agreeing to certain remediations."

Taken from this article. Theres always a media eruption before anyone has any idea whats even going on.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-walmarts-joint-statement-resolution-talks/

Mike83 | 2019年8月23日

Short manipulation again. People are surprised?

Uncle Paul | 2019年8月23日

Looks like they have kissed and made up.

Walmart is dropping their legal action, and Tesla will revisit all the sites. They will reinstall all the panels in a workman like manne, repair all the damaged panels and reimburse Walmart for their expenses incured so far.

Great solution. Tesla will stand by their product and Walmart will once again get the benefits of all that solar production.

Mike83 | 2019年8月23日

Much more to the story but too many people only read the headlines. Panels are not the issue.

SamO | 2019年8月23日

Walmart wanted to get out of the deal and install new (meaning way cheaper) panels, get a new solar lease, and drop their costs even more.

Tesla punched them in the mouth and now Walmart realizes what's up.

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月23日

@SamO

That sounds much more like walmart

dmm1240 | 2019年8月23日
blue adept | 2019年8月23日

I'm with @COrich in that there are hundreds of commercial PVP installations like the ones on those WalMart's, thousands if you take into consideration residential installations, yet only WalMart has experienced any serious issues, i.e., "fires"...Something is suspect.

Whoops! Spoke too soon as Amazon is now reporting similar issues with their SolarCity/Tesla installed PVP solar systems, though they do seem to have narrowed the cause down to a particular third party manufactured component:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-08-23/amazon-joins-walmart-i...

JustSaying | 2019年8月25日

Wow, I was way off just more legal shenanigans.
"So if you're looking for motive for a pre-emptive lawsuit, there's one. Voiding the contract Before the 3rd party inspections would allow them to dodge liability for all the lost generation due to their problem."

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/22/whats-the-real-reason-walmart-is-su...

mos6507 | 2019年8月26日

"Whoops! Spoke too soon as Amazon is now reporting similar issues"

Yep. This is a great place to hang-out to see fanbois gradually lose their religion.

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月26日

negativity in and of its self is your religion. is it working yet?

SamO | 2019年8月26日

Someone who already has a fossil fuel religion. Problem is . . . it's a death cult.

jimglas | 2019年8月26日

I see mos lives to FUD another day

SamO | 2019年8月26日

@mos is Chanos

blue adept | 2019年8月26日

@JustSaying

That effectively discredits WalMart's claims inasmuch as it is evident that they've, through their delaying tactics and reticence to allow Tesla to proceed with the verification process of the modifications that WalMart wanted, manufactured fault on Tesla's behalf that doesn't actually exist, kinda like how those attention-whoring drama queens looking for validation, or just to throw some "shade" (just found out what that meant a couple days ago), back in high school used to do (don't ask me how I know).

Which brings us to Amazon...

While still no definitive specifics as to what the actual cause of the fire is and while they might be inclined to deny responsibility, there is substantive proof of fault on Amphenol's (as in 'Amphenol Industrial Solar Technologies in Shenzhen, China') behalf inasmuch as they've had to issue a recall for their connectors not all that long ago due to issues such as "chemical contamination" and material inconsistencies resulting in the development of "microscopic cracks", but don't take my word for it:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Solar-World-Recalls-Connectors-Sold-wi...

It's sooo easy to reel in the haters, huh @mos6507 "?"

blue adept | 2019年8月26日

@andy.connor.e, @SamO & @jimglas

+1

Icyroads | 2019年8月26日

Mos owns

blue adept | 2019年8月27日

Nah, mos got schooled, hard, and by a hardcore, ride or die 'fanboy' for life.