Forums

New model S long range question

New model S long range question

Just picked up a new S long range with 19” wheels. The car was at 75 % soc at delivery. Doing the math the range is 358 miles instead of 370. Do I expect that to increase in the near future? Should I charge to 100% to get a real number instead of dividing miles displayed by the %soc. Does a new pack require rebalancing?

Bighorn | 2019年9月16日

It’s just an estimate, so just enjoy the car. Nothing goes further. I think another person referenced 258. Could be that they’re protecting the battery with a slightly bigger top end buffer since a true full charge is damaging to the cells. Taycan has been getting credit for instituting a top end buffer as though it were novel, though Tesla has done it since the beginning.

Bighorn | 2019年9月16日

Sorry, 358–hard to get used to such a big number. My former field leading S gets 252.

jbdvm1988 | 2019年9月16日

Thanks for the sage advice. After reading about 85 kWh battery capping I wondered

PrescottRichard | 2019年9月16日

This messes with a lot of people, to stop it messing with me I switched to % on the display.

Congrats on the new car, I am envious! I wouldn’t mind another 100 miles rated range just to keep me out of the Superchargers. Sure, I have free supercharging but I *always* buy something while charging.

eddyline | 2019年9月16日

The range rating is an estimate based on usage; if you're doing mainly city driving and launches, it will appear low initially, much like the mpg estimate in some ICE cars. When there are more data points to average it out, it should settle down to your driving style's efficiency.

Bighorn | 2019年9月16日

@eddy
No, it's not. Rated range is kWh X EPA-derived rate constant i.e. miles/Wh--not affected by driving behavior.

mizunosan | 2019年9月16日

Note that your range differs if you check "rated" or "ideal" in the settings. I was told that since the ACTUAL miles you get will depend on the road conditions, A/C use, Weather, driving (racing cars off the line, speeding, etc.) to just leave the setting on"energy" and look at the percentage of the battery remaining. If you can still get 100% (don't do it all the time) your battery health is OK.

jbdvm1988 | 2019年9月16日

I don’t see the area on the main screen to select ideal or rated for miles display. My 2016 S had it but can’t find it in the new car

EVRider | 2019年9月16日

Controls > Display > Energy Display

jbdvm1988 | 2019年9月16日

EVrider- I know that part. I was referring to an option to jump between “rated” miles and “ideal” miles. It’s really more curiosity than a need.

Bighorn | 2019年9月16日

@jb
Ideal might be defunct.
The 3 doesn’t have a distance toggle either.

EVRider | 2019年9月16日

If you select distance vs. percentage, you’ll see options to choose Ideal or Rated. This is documented in the manual and I see those options in my Model S.

Bighorn | 2019年9月16日

@EV
Raven might have dropped Ideal. This isn’t his first rodeo.