Forums

Water sloshing around in trunk lid

Water sloshing around in trunk lid

Anyone experience this?

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/water-sloshing-in-the-trunk-lid.8939/

I got to drive all day in the rain saturday :)

When I got to my destination and opened my trunk you could hear the water sloshing to the side it was opened.

Close the lid and you hear it slosh tot he back of the car.

I popped off 2 ribber grommets about the size of a pea on each side under neath the tail lights, and the water started gushing out.

I am wondering if they for got to remove those grommets as part of delivery?

M3phan | 2019年9月30日

Good thing you found those and pulled them!

M3phan | 2019年9月30日

Are you able to post pics showing exactly where you pulled these grommets from?

vmulla | 2019年12月14日
Sarah R | 2019年12月15日

Um ... how did the water get in there in the first place?

FISHEV | 2019年12月15日

Have to assume it happens to all Model 3's. As the original article points out, even if it drains, the creation of rust inside will be an issue. Check it at 35,000 on the warranty.

Fair number of issues on that list:

1. Trunk lid rust
2. Rocker cover paint and de-lamination.
3. Condensation build up in B-Pillar camera.
4. Battery degradation (drive until it stops for actual range/degradation) though more an 8 year issue.

kevin_rf | 2019年12月15日

Fish, don't forget to add the fuzzy dice going bald to your defect list.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@Sarah R,
I see 5 openings to the hollow areas in the trunk cover, 4 for the rubber dampers, and 1 opening for the electrical connections to the tail lamps. Perhaps some of those covers to the openings came loose, were not fixed properly, or missing. I can imagine some of the water that is supposed to flow along the sides of the trunk opening can get into these holes. Even so, the amount of water that got into the trunk is surprising.

FISHEV | 2019年12月15日

Would add the MCU/Flash drive issue as something else to get checked before warranty expires.

1. Trunk lid rust
2. Rocker cover paint and de-lamination.
3. Condensation build up in B-Pillar camera.
4. Battery degradation (drive until it stops for actual range/degradation) though more an 8 year issue.
5. MCU Flash Drive failure issue.

But lets not get too from the problem with water in the trunk lid, how to prevent it, how to fix it.

WW_spb | 2019年12月15日

Attention! Forest EV in the building.

Sarah R | 2019年12月15日

I'm asking because something ain't quite right about that whole thing.

Because water is heavy. Really heavy. So, if the trunk lid is full of water, lifting it is gonna be hard. And since the springs on the hinges are tuned to the weight of the trunk lid, it's unlikely that it would stay open when full of water.

So if ther water got in there on its own then there's an issue, but I'm thinking it had help. Seems like a not very well thought out prank to me.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@Sarah R,
I took a deeper look. There seems to be a reasonable explanation, the place the water can enter is where the electrical wires go into the trunk lid.
There's a rubber gasket that I think was meant to be a weather seal. That is also a place that will see a lot of flex, that gasket can pop off. (I'm calling it a gasket, I don't know what it's correct name is

My own gasket lifted off from the trunk at one edge giving a few centimeters if opportunity for water to enter the trunk. It took me 5 mins to remove everything and make sure everything was weather tight as it was designed to be.

Pictures here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wgNVngcPQQXbqAQq6

You can see from the pics that it's an area that sees some moisture.

WW_spb | 2019年12月15日

Lol how do you get water in there? It's on top part of the lid with nice rubber gasket waterproof seal. Unless you intentionally trying to spray water directly at the gasket it doesn't seem to be possible to get water in there when lid is closed.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@WW_spb,
I noted that the area sees some flex, it's not improbable that the seal popped off. Whatever the case, it really doesn't explain 5mins of dripping water.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@WW_spb,
One small note. The hole is on the top part of the trunk, but when the trunk is closed the hole is also going to be sitting flush with the recessed area for water draining around the trunk. So if the seal is improperly seated you can expect *some* water seepage.

Sarah R | 2019年12月15日

Even if that wireway was the path the water took getting in, as soon as the lid were lifted the majority of it would come out the same way. Send it wouldn't take 5 minutes. To get 5 minutes of water streaming out I'd think you have to be pumping it in for nearly as long.

WW_spb | 2019年12月15日

Ok. So solution is to keep an eye on the rubber gasket. Got it.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@Sarah R,
I agree. That's the reason I was stressing on the words 'some' and 'moisture', I can't think of a way for 5 min stream's worth of water to get in there.

Check if the seal is seated properly, that should avoid any further concerns.

spuzzz123 | 2019年12月15日

If there were water collecting in the trunk wouldn’t I be able to hear it sloshing around? Or feel substantial weight?

jhn | 2019年12月15日

I had this same water in the trunk lid issue this weekend after driving 2 hours in 2+ inch per hour rain at highway speeds. It had happened to me one other time I noticed during my year of ownership, but the first time I barely noticed enough to figure it out.

This time was different. I believe I've located the entry point. While the location the wiring enters the trunk lid is a possible candidate, my gasket was sealed and the area around it on the underside of the trunk dusty and dry. I believe the water in coming into the trunk lid through the holes were the wiring goes into the tail lights, right behind the taillight assembly. My lights have considerable gaps between the metal of the trunk lid and the plastic of the assembly. The body panel joints while for the roof then rear quarter panel form a continuous channel to this spot. I believe with the vehicle at speed, water is channeled back to the rear light assembly and into the trunk lid from there.

vmulla | 2019年12月15日

@jhn,
Did you take an appointment for your water issue? Did you share your theory to the service folks?

I looked at my car, and there's no gap. I think it's an isolated issue with the way things were assembled.

jhn | 2019年12月17日

@vmulla
I have not had service look at it. The second event was only a few days ago and the water drained out on its own. It was only noticeable immediately after the 2 hour drive in rain at highway speeds. I'll mention it my next service visit for something else.

AWDTesla | 2019年12月17日

I thought I had updated this thread.

Tesla Service looked at my car. It was due to 2 issues.

1 - The seal around one of my taillights wasn't installed correctly and was pinched.

2 - My rear license plate was missing the gasket/inserts where the license plate mounts to the vehicle.

Tesla Service fixed both issues and I've been through multiple rain storms and happy to report the issue is fixed.

vmulla | 2019年12月17日

@AWDTesla,
That's nice to know it's just missing parts and incorrect installation.

Glad that you caught the issue before corrosion.

I'm still curious how those small gaps sucked up as much water. Those parts sound non-essential but can do damage to the car if missing/poorly installed.