Forums

Blind Spot Sensor?

Blind Spot Sensor?

Not sure if Model 3 even have that. I see the options being turn on navigation but I never get a beep or chime if my turn signal is on when theres a car next to me.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月4日

Beep or chime is when there is a car next to you / in the blind spot and you attempt to get in the same lane. Won’t chime if your just cruising and have the signal on hence “blind spot warning”

andrewsjra | 2019年10月4日

Hopefully we get video as well for those in our blind spots when signaling to switch lanes. Seems like an easy thing to do with all the other dash cam and sentry stuff.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月4日

Combination of backup cam and screen animation works well.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月4日

Oh brother, seen that coming ..

lbowroom | 2019年10月4日

Hey everyone, you may have noticed when you bought your car that it doesn’t have orange lights on the rear view mirrors. It does however have a perfectly good warning system on the little screen that turns the lane line and the car in your blind spot red If you move toward it anyway, it gives you an audible warning too!

lbowroom | 2019年10月4日

As you go to bed tonight, just a reminder to plug your car in at home...

spuzzz123 | 2019年10月4日

Lbowroom I need a warning light on my mirrors to remind me to plug in when I get home. That info is on my center screen but that’s useless for me there. Can I pay someone $1400 to install such a system?

EVRider | 2019年10月5日

@andrewsjra: You can’t view dashcam video on the touchscreen, so there’s nothing easy about it.

andrewsjra | 2019年10月5日

What I meant was how the backup camera comes on from putting into reverse would be nice to do with the side markers camera for a lane signal change. As someone else mentioned though it won’t really be useful unless we had a camera on the side mirrors which makes sense. At least we have something that warns us.

roger.klurfeld | 2019年10月8日

Blind spot monitoring works really well on my car. If there is a vehicle in my blind spot, the car graphic turns bright red. If there is one close by and I might crash into it, there is a chime warning. So when my screen turns red when I put the turn signal on, I don't change lanes.

rfpmoxie | 2019年10月8日

My 2 cents...……. I've had the car 6 months now and do very little city driving and have been curious re: blind spot warning. Yesterday, in Boston I had to change to the right lane. I had just passed a cab and signaled for a right turn and the cab "left" my mirror. I looked over my shoulder and didn't see the cab so I edged over and voila I got my 1st big red car on my screen. I was a bit startled (which is good) .I don't recall hearing a chime but perhaps it wasn't "dangerous enough". I been reading posts for many months on this subject and, frankly, I found this very adequate. My only thought/question is can't this be set to warn even if the turn signals aren't on?

EVRider | 2019年10月8日

@rfpmoxie: If you see the visual blind spot alert every time you’re next to another car, you’ll probably start ignoring it.

dh91108 | 2019年10月8日

How about yellow or orange every time a car is in your blind spot. Then red when you signal.

FISHEV | 2019年10月8日

"Blind spot monitoring works really well on my car. If there is a vehicle in my blind spot, the car graphic turns bright red."@roger.klurfield

No it doesn't. You only see a red image IF you put on the turn signal and IF the car is right next to you.

What you are describing is the Tesla's substitute for the proven Blind Side Indicators, it is the "Blind Side Collision Avoidance" feature. Tesla is almost blind in the back which is why it completely lacks Rear Cross Track Warning, another proven safety feature. By the time the visualization (which is dangerous to be looking at while driving) shows a car in your blind spot it has been there for a while. There's a period where there's no visualization but you would cause an accident by changing lanes on what could be a fast approaching car. The good BSI"s will alert that a fast moving car is approaching your blind spot, they are speed sensitive. Tesla lacks the tech.

Idea behind the proven safety feature of BSI's is driver is so driver doesn't put on turn signal and attempt a lane change when a car is in the blind spot vs. Tesla's after the fact collision warning.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月8日

“By the time the visualization (which is dangerous to be looking at while driving)”

Are you being serious ???????

Bend | 2019年10月8日

The 'blind spot' indicators Tesla is supposed to have NEVER work. I have the car for about a year and I miss it from my previous car.

EVRider | 2019年10月8日

@Bend: Did you check your settings to see if blind spot warnings are enabled?

FISHEV | 2019年10月8日

"Are you being serious ???????"

1. Anything that takes eyes off road is bad.
2. Anything that takes eyes off road and out of peripheral vision is really bad.
3. When planning to move into left lane, looking right and down is really, really bad.

It's why working, proven BSI systems put the warning right in driver's vision path, are visible in peripheral vision and warn in advance not just when you try to collide with the car next to you because the Tesla drivers side mirror can't see the blind spot and there is no blind spot indicator in line of sight.

Tesla's system is built for the sometime in the far future self driving capability and BSI and CTW and driver safety were sacrificed.

FISHEV | 2019年10月8日

"The 'blind spot' indicators Tesla is supposed to have NEVER work. I have the car for about a year and I miss it from my previous car."@bend

We all do, even those who try to rationalize Tesla's lack of such a simple and effective safety system.

jstat10 | 2019年10月8日

Nope, don't miss the antiquated blind spot detectors in my old car.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月8日

2+2 = 4 is all I got to say.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月8日

Oh and as a millennial, your being petty and spoiled. If you can’t drive a car without any blind spot indicator, sensor etc. enough to complain. Don’t drive at all.

ICEMELT | 2019年10月8日

There is no solution for the morons who decide to speed pass from the right just because you are driving a Tesla.

FISHEV | 2019年10月8日

" If you can’t drive a car without any blind spot indicator, sensor etc. enough to complain."Hp1193

Same is true of seat belts, ABS, crumple zone, padded dashes, auto braking, lane keeping, adaptive cruise, rear cross track warning.

You ask the wrong question. Why doesn't Tesla fix this problem and provide a proven safety feature that should be easy to do with the a car that claims "Full Self Driving" capability?

jimglas | 2019年10月8日

*Yawn*

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月8日

There is no problem to “fix”. How many Tesla’s have got into an accident because of non-existent blind spot sensors on mirrors vs what is already provided ?

I’ll sip my tea and wait.

lbowroom | 2019年10月8日

Why couldn't Tesla give us industry standard internal combustion engines like tens of millions of cars on the road now?

FISHEV | 2019年10月8日

This post contradicts your opinion.

lbowroom | 2019年10月8日

The OP merged into a car in his blind spot?

tootall79 | 2019年10月9日

Is there a front facing camera view so we can see the nose eye view of the curb when parking nose in? This would help a lot. I would prefer pulling in just up to the curb, not past it. a beep at 6 inches would work.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月9日

They have that already ? You might have to cha he your settings. It tells me when I’m close to anything within 360 degrees in inches

Keithdorschner | 2019年10月10日

I have always used my side view mirrors to monitor the blind spot. I use the rear view mirror to look behind me. I do not understand people who claim one can not use the side view mirror to observe the blind spot. Either they don’t know how to use the mirrors or they are saying there is something peculiar about the Model 3 side view mirrors. That would be FUD, pure and simple.

bp | 2019年10月10日

@ToansModel3 short answer: no, there isn’t a blind spot indicator to reliably indicate whether a vehicle is in your blind spot.

FISHEV | 2019年10月10日

In effect Tesla has a blind spot regarding blind spot indicators.

What could Tesla do to create a workable Blind Side Indicator using the tech on the car is the real question. Every morning now that cold weather is here, I get a "Blind Side Collision Warning" not working alert along with other AP features. It goes away after about two miles of driving but it indicates that the camera/sensor combo Tesla is using for blind side detection is weak. The visualization, if it accurately reflects what Tesla sensors see, is nearly blank in the rear of the car and what it can see is very close to the point you;d hit them if you moved.

Tesla could put what BSI info the sensors can provide into as visible a warning as possible moving it to top left of the screen in LHD cars. Taking the two upper corners of the top left screen and putting orange/red indicator lights there would at least be in many driver's peripheral vision. While it still requires driver to look away from where he is driving, it is much less distraction and many drivers will be able to view it peripherally.

Best short term would be if TapTes or others would sell a battery powered sensor/indicator that could fit over the side view mirrors.

jimglas | 2019年10月10日

Remember: Fish is always wrong
Lately he has been perseverating about blind spot indicators

FISHEV | 2019年10月10日

"Lately he has been perseverating about blind spot indicators."@jmglas

Not my post so looks like Tesla's lack of Blind Side Indicators is an issue for quite a few. It's a proven safety feature and Tesla should have it. It doesn't. What can Tesla do to provide it given the current hardware of the Model 3's on the road now that need it.

Keithdorschner | 2019年10月10日

Are you grown men that don’t know how to use side view mirrors? Or teenage drivers w/o experience? Lol you are hysterical.

jimglas | 2019年10月10日

buy YOU are perseverating about it
I cant count the number of posts you have made about it
Last month it was your CHADeMO adapter

FISHEV | 2019年10月10日

"Are you grown men that don’t know how to use side view mirrors?"@Keithdorschner

So all this safety and self driving thing comes down to "forgetaboutit"?

BSI is proven safety feature. Tesla doesn't have it. Fix it.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月10日

My god now it’s just a grudge. Fishy needs to just let it go. Geez.

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月10日

@Keithdorschner + infinity. Exactly what I was wondering.

KAM6 | 2019年10月10日

I actually don't disagree with Fish. As much as there is a system in place, there is no doubt I was able to determine if something was in my blind spot with my Hyundai Tucson with a simple glance to the mirror. Maybe if the visualization displayed cars a little further back and colored them as red when in the blind spot that would work.

walnotr | 2019年10月10日

@Keithdorschner +1 I have been driving for 53+ years and have never had a vehicle with blind spot indicators. Strange how in all those hundreds of thousands of miles I have never had an incident where the lack of same has resulted in a crash. It’s called being aware of your surroundings. I am continuously monitoring traffic moving around me and scan all mirrors to see what is coming up from behind. When it comes time for a lane change, a quick glance over the shoulder is all the confirmation needed before proceeding.

walnotr | 2019年10月10日

@Keithdorschner +1 I have been driving for 53+ years and have never had a vehicle with blind spot indicators. Strange how in all those hundreds of thousands of miles I have never had an incident where the lack of same has resulted in a crash. It’s called being aware of your surroundings. I am continuously monitoring traffic moving around me and scan all mirrors to see what is coming up from behind. When it comes time for a lane change, a quick glance over the shoulder is all the confirmation needed before proceeding.

walnotr | 2019年10月10日

Crap! Double tap.

rehutton777 | 2019年10月10日

KAM6 - - you are brave coming to FISH's defense! I never had a BSI system on any car I drove prior to the Tesla Model 3, and so have no experience with the benefits of the feature. However, I do agree that, in my opinion, the side mirrors don't give as good a visualization as mirrors in my other vehicles, and I do find that I have to look "harder" on both sides to make sure there is no car in my blind spot. In fact, recently I nearly took out a car in my left blind spot when I tried to change lanes. Fortunately, the blind-spot warning alert scared the crap out of me, and I steered (was it me or was it the car?) back into my lane. Given my perception of the decreased visualization of blind-spot traffic with the Tesla mirrors over my previous mirrors, I think a BSI system with lights on the mirror may have easily prevented me from trying to move to the left in the first place. Perhaps a BSI system such as FISH describes would not be a bad safety feature, given Tesla's desire to produce the safest vehicle on the road.

rfpmoxie | 2019年10月10日

2 more cents...………… dH91108 had a good approach in using perhaps orange/no alarm before red on the screen whether the directional light is on or not. Also, I've had my license for just about 57 years and have done well without a warning and/or alarm; however, being honest my vision has naturally degraded and I would be happy to have an additional accident avoidance/safety feature. Very few of us and I hope it's none of us, would opt out of seat belts and multiple air bags. A similar comparison is that most everyone has never needed our home smoke and other detectors to sound an alarm but I suggest that none of us don't want them. I, personally hope that this is on Tesla's to-do list.

howard | 2019年10月10日

rehutton777

+1

All of my last 6 or so cars/trucks and current cars have 100% reliable dedicated BSI sensing systems with warning indicators built into the side-view mirrors where it is natural and intuitive. That is except for my Tesla. The weak argument that Tesla does it better is just nonsense. The argument that it is not required is nonsense. For that matter all the arguments/insults against it are nonsense.

wwws56a | 2019年10月10日

Howard you are so right, lights on the mirrors would be very helpful. The pillars on the model3 are very wide and obstruct vision making me look around longer than I'd like when moving into the right lane.
Folks who've been driving for many years and so proud of it, ask yourselves, why am I not driving a std shift clutch car with non power steering and std brakes. I'd say because it's better this way and safer.
Lets get this fixed, if KIA has it in their cars we better be able to include it too.

mwaltz | 2019年10月14日

Love the car. The car has blind spots. Claims that active alerting once a maneuver is underway is sufficient floes in the face of the car otherwise providing improved situational awareness. Mirror mounted indicators would be nice as would an improved field of view behind the car on the display; 20 feet more more. Ability to slew the camera temporarily did nothing to extend visibility. Or perhaps curve the mirror more; having the seat well reclined sets up a geometry with the mirrors that simply cannot see aft quarters.

Pages