Forums

Dashcam and Sentry Question

Dashcam and Sentry Question

I am a bit confused how they work together. Just today I got my USB and went thru the formatting - simple. Plug it in and have the Sentry Icon on the display. So is does the Dashcam AND the Sentry need to be on (red button) while driving? I don't get how they work together or independently. The update:

"Security & Convenience
To help make USB storage for our Dashcam and Sentry Mode features easier to manage, video clips taken while your vehicle is being protected by Sentry Mode will now be stored to a separate folder on your USB drive. Older clips will also be automatically deleted if you’re low on storage."

Doesn't seem to help me understand. Appreciate the input.

EVRider | 2019年10月8日

Sentry Mode is only used when parked. The dashcam is used when driving, but it comes on as soon as you get in the car, so both the dashcam and Sentry Mode might be on until you shift into reverse or drive. You won’t see the Sentry Mode icon unless you’re in park. None of this is new for V10.

One important point: before removing the USB to look at video files, make sure you stop both the dashcam and Sentry Mode, and then wait 20 seconds or so before removing the USB. This allows the system to finish writing files to the drive.

sentabo | 2019年10月8日

Also note that if you have an incident or an accident you should tap the red icon. This will download the previous 10 minutes to your USB for your viewing pleasure.

EVRider | 2019年10月9日

Saving video by touching the dashcam icon doesn’t actually download anything, it just moves (not copies) video files from the RecentClips folder to SavedClips, where they won’t get overwritten.

EVRider | 2019年10月9日

I should add that it’s better to wait a minute or so before saving dashcam video. If the current video file is still being written when you save, it won’t get moved and you might not capture the event that you’re trying to save.

lrf3141 | 2019年10月9日

Just setting up recording of dash cam after V10 upgrade. I see just a small round icon, tapping it changes from black to red and back again. Did the Icon change from V9 or do I have some other problem. Nothing seems to store on a stick with the appropriate folder and format.

avesraggiana | 2019年10月9日

Got V10. Reformatted and installed a brand new microSD drive with USB adapter. Installed the latest software update, 2019.32.12.1. Did two-scroll-wheel-reset.

No DashCam.

Reformatted microSD drive, reinstalled in forward USB port.

Still no DashCam. Nothing, zip, nada.

avesraggiana | 2019年10月9日

I take exasperation, and give up.

EVRider | 2019年10月10日

@lrf3141: The icon you’re asking about is the Sentry Mode icon, and that was already there in V9. It only appears when you’re in park.

EVRider | 2019年10月10日

@avesraggiana: Did you remember to create a TeslaCam folder on the drive? Won’t work otherwise.