Forums

First Year Maintenance

First Year Maintenance

I actually scheduled a maintenance with Tesla and they said the only work that needs to be done is rotating tires after 10k miles. But check out this video about annual service. You'll be surprised there's actually a lot more to it.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/15/annual-tesla-model-3-service/

Let me know everyone's thoughts.

M3phan | 2019年10月15日

Good list of things but in my opinion not much more listed there that’s not related in some way shape or form to the wheels, so while they say you just need a tire rotation, they will do all those other wheel related checks at the same time for you, such as wear check, indicating whether it needs alignment, checking the suspension, checking the brakes.
And while some have talked about letting any shop do the alignment, i’ve read a post or two on a thread I started earlier this year that the alignment of the Tesla model 3 is directly tied to the proper functioning of autopilot cameras and that’s the reason why the alignment is more involved thZn one would expect. For that reason I let Tesla handle my alignment

M3phan | 2019年10月15日

Good list of things but in my opinion not much more listed there that’s not related in some way shape or form to the wheels, so while they say you just need a tire rotation, they will do all those other wheel related checks at the same time for you, such as wear check, indicating whether it needs alignment, checking the suspension, checking the brakes.
And while some have talked about letting any shop do the alignment, i’ve read a post or two on a thread I started earlier this year that the alignment of the Tesla model 3 is directly tied to the proper functioning of autopilot cameras and that’s the reason why the alignment is more involved thZn one would expect. For that reason I let Tesla handle my alignment

M3phan | 2019年10月15日

(Apologies for the spazzy thumb double post)

kthang | 2019年10月15日

Thanks for your opinion M3phan!

I cancelled my appointment, Tesla service center is charging me $97 to rotate tires ( I rather do it myself) but they didn't mention the other items; alignment, brake check, air filter checks, etc. Wonder if there are cost associated to check the other components under warranty.

syclone | 2019年10月15日

Costco will rotate tires for ~$23.00, You may have to supply lifting pucks if they don't have them

M3phan | 2019年10月15日

I only meant to imply that when they rotate tires, anything that they can visually inspect while doing so would not be charged for, but if anything arose as an issue from the visual inspection, there would be an associated cost.
Note some service centers (like mine) can also perform the state annual inspection. For this I was charged $7.50

jordanrichard | 2019年10月15日

Right, so Tesla tells you that there is no annual service done and yet because the Electrified Garage says there is an annual service, that’s what we are going by?
I watched that video and while it was very informative, the impression they give is wrong and that is that there is a recommended annual service. They also didn’t explain why at 1 year/16,000 miles they were replacing the 12v battery. Mine in my MS lasted 103,000 / 4 yrs.

RES IPSA | 2019年10月15日

I have RWD, so I rotate and balance my tires every 5k miles at Costco. They use to charge $25, but recently increased it to $30 (at least at the Costco here in San Diego).

I am curious to know how much it costs to replace the two cabin air filters in the car. I plan on doing that at 15k miles as I like clean air blowing on me when I drive.

jordanrichard | 2019年10月15日

RES IPSA why are you rotating your tires every 5K? Are your rear tires showing more wear than the fronts, every 5K miles?

The cabin air filter is due to be replaced every 2 years.

What would answer everyone’s questions is to actually read the owner’s manual and recommend service.

RES IPSA | 2019年10月15日

The manual I have states rotate them every 6250 miles. I just do it at 5k intervals as it is easier to remember when to do it.

Does it damage the tires to rotate every 5k miles?

RES IPSA | 2019年10月15日

I guess they changed the manual from a few months ago. Use to say rotate every 6250... now it states 10k-12k miles.

surfpearl | 2019年10月15日

@RES IPSA - No, it doesn't damage the tires to rotate every 5k miles, but you can now switch to the newly recommended schedule if you want. The main goal of the rotation is to even out the tire wear, so keep checking the wear and act accordingly. This link offers some good advice:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CJ_Jzqz-n-UCF...

M3phan | 2019年10月15日

@ RES IPSA, air filters: I had mobile service out, AC service for slight smell (not as bad as what I’ve read here, just a hint of something starting). Replaced both filters, pressure inject solution into AC lines. 20 minutes in and out. $146

kthang | 2019年10月15日

@jordanrichard my car smelled very bad a few months ago and I contacted SC for mobile service. They replaced the 2 cabin filters at no cost and sprayed a can in the car to freshen up.

kthang | 2019年10月15日

I agree, the video does give the wrong impression to owners. The question now is do we need to worry about the other recommended maintenance via cleantechnica or report issues that come up?

Fuzzball | 2019年10月16日

I had an annual service apt (at 18months). Mobile came to house in an ICE. Only extra thing i had asked for was wiper change. Wow...expensive...23 each + 20 dollars labor + tax. Other than that everything was covered. They changed charging port cover and the pins inside charging port as well. I had recently had tires rotated by Costco so no need there. Other inspections were relatively superficial...

gmr6415 | 2019年10月16日

@RES IPSA, According to the Michelin Owners' manual for the tires used on M3:

"In order to maintain the tread wear warranty on your tires, the tires must be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 -12,000 km), or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever rotation period is less. Failure to rotate the tires as provided herein voids the tread wear warranty."

Rotating at 10k miles will void the tread wear warranty.

M3phan | 2019年10月16日

@ Firaz.ashraf, yeah, there’s a service bulletin to change the charging port pins, he did that at no cost for me as well while servicing the AC.

For those interested, the service bulletin to change the charging port pins is replacing existing pins with stronger ones that are a slightly stronger/bigger providing a tighter/better fit for charging cable.

bddaughe | 2019年10月16日

From https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance:

every year

clean and lubricate all brake calipers

every 2 years

replace cabin air filter
test brake fluid for contamination/flush

every 6 years

Air conditioning service to replace desiccant

Other:
Tire rotation every 10,000 - 12,000 miles

bddaughe | 2019年10月16日

Sorry the colon got included with the URL I posted. Should be https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance

M3NOICE | 2019年10月16日

@RES IPSA

Bought filters from San Diego SC ($30 something). Bought evaporator cleaner from Amazon ($15 something). Cleaned AC and replaced filters myself. Super easy. Took less than an hour, mostly was me trying to find tools in my toolbox...

RES IPSA | 2019年10月16日

@M3Noice... thanks for the info. Maybe I should stop by your house with 2 new filters and pay you $50 to do it. If I pull the panels off the center console area, the panels will never go back on right. I have bad luck with stuff like that.

gballant4570 | 2019年10月16日

I've checked vehicle tire pressure countless times over the last 45 or so years..... never removed a wheel to do so. I couldn't give the video much love after that......