Forums

Charging my US model 3 in Spain

Charging my US model 3 in Spain

I have read many conflicting opinions, much filled with extensive technical jargon Bottom line. Can you charge a US model 3 in Spain? If so, how fast will it charge?

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

Wrong charge port for supercharging, but Level 2 could probably be accomplished with an adapter.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

Thank you. Not sure what level 2 is. One post said maximum of 3.7 kw, which, if I’m not mistaken is over 15 hours charge time. Btw, I ask all this because model 3 much more expensive to purchase there.

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

Level 2 is AC charging that in the US can be up to 20 kW--only the Model S was capable of achieving that power level. With the Model 3, it should be capable of 7.6kW here, though European 3 phase electricity may be different. The thing with taking the car abroad is that it would not have connectivity for mapping or entertainment nor be supported by Tesla service. Tesla is very opposed to people doing it.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

All I need is a home charger that will give me a full charge in about 8 hrs.

walnotr | 2019年11月9日

I thought they were installing dual charging cables on the superchargers in Europe. Standard Tesla and the second a CCS for the European Model 3s.

walnotr | 2019年11月9日

@sklaif - I know there is a Tesla gallery in Barcelona. If you are near there they might be able to give you more local information. In North America the charger that comes with the car is capable of level 2 but I’m not sure how the adapters are set up over there.

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

@walnotr
European SC standard (Mennekes) and CCS 2. The US SC standard fits neither. And European CCS is a different standard than US CCS.

walnotr | 2019年11月9日

Level 2 will give you around 30 miles of range per hour.

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

Even level 2 won't work with 3 phase, apparently.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3361369/

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

3.7 kW seems to be the rate of level 2

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

But they make them prohibitively expensive compared to the US. I can probably live without the nav and entertainment (I will still have my phone library). As long as I can charge my car in a reasonable time.
I emailed Elon Musk an actually got a response. Tesla will honor my warranty in Spain!

Bighorn | 2019年11月9日

Wow! They must be pretty hard up for Q4 volume:)

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

So I’m basically screwed:(

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

Thank you for the suggestion to check with Tesla in Barcelona. I haven’t moved yet. What I really need is a conference call with a Spanish and US electrician lol

Chewbacca | 2019年11月9日

Thank you for the suggestion to check with Tesla in Barcelona. I haven’t moved yet. What I really need is a conference call with a Spanish and US electrician lol

-TheJohn- | 2019年11月9日

Yes. Don't do it. Buying a new car would be cheaper than shipping it and dealing with this.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月10日

Thanks everyone. I surrender.

DAlexModel3 | 2019年11月10日

Some EU safety requirements are different than the US, e.g. the turn signals (?) are supposed to be a different color. In Germany they were serious about this, and you had to modify the nonconforming items before the car could be registered. Don't know specifically about Spain's enforcement, however.

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

"Thanks everyone. I surrender."@Chewbacca

Looking at another thread about moving to Germany and one of the responses mentioned the big incentives for EV's in EU. Plus buying in EU you get the CCS port setup and EU has a much better EV charging infrastructure than US.

"For example, in my region (Lombardia) the incentives are about $16,000"@ALDONY

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/moving-germany-about-1-year

jordanrichard | 2019年11月10日

Just another thing to consider, if you are getting a loan for your car here in the states, I don’t believe the bank will like you taking the car out of the country. In the event that one defaults on a a car loan, they need to be able to repo the car.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月10日

All good points. Was gonna pay off the car before I left. But didn’t think about incentives from the Spanish government. Not sure they will apply to me as I will be retired, but worth looking into.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月10日

All good points. Was gonna pay off the car before I left. But didn’t think about incentives from the Spanish government. Not sure they will apply to me as I will be retired, but worth looking into.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月10日

Checked with Tesla Valencia. No incentives from Spanish Govt. Doh!

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

Maybe think about Portugal. I'm hearing good things:)

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

The Spanish government has adopted the new edition of its electric mobility subsidy programme. The new package, called MOVES, came into force on 16 February with a budget of 45 million euros. The focus is on promoting electric vehicles and charging infrastructure. The programme offers subsidies for the purchase of electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids, if a combustion motor vehicle at least ten years old is decommissioned. Then Spain grants 5,500 euros (+ 1,000 euros dealer bonus) for purely electric cars, but their list price may not exceed 48,400 euros.”

https://www.assetfolio.com/news/spain-incentive-electric-buyers

I’d also check local city for incentives.

lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

Since the OP doesnt live there yet it’s unlikely he’ll be decommissioning a 10 year old ICE to qualify for the rebate.

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

He will if buys one to quality. 10 yr ICE vehicles can be really cheap.

I’d think residences is going to be the real issue. If he’s living there six months a year and has a residence would be likely requirements.

I’ll have to look at state incentive to see how EV incentives would work for non-US/State citizens. They are residents.

Chewbacca | 2019年11月11日

Can’t a competent electrician convert the three phase supply to one phase to run my home charger.
I believe I’d get 208 volts.

SnowZA | 2019年11月11日

Something like this might possibly be an option for you - I don't know how or even if it would work with a Tesla...
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/european-us-type-2-iec-mennekes-to...

Chewbacca | 2019年11月11日

Thanks, I’ll call them.

lbowroom | 2019年11月11日

"I’ll have to look at state incentive to see how EV incentives would work"

I don't see how state incentive structures have any applicability to what Spain requires, but in Oregon, for instance "Vehicles must be registered in Oregon for at least two years and have a base manufacturer's suggested retail price of less than $50,000"