Forums

Forum maintainers, please upgrade your software.

Forum maintainers, please upgrade your software.

This forum lacks the most basic features such as editing and search. I'm sick of looking like an illiterate because I can't edit my typos. The world is full of open source forum software that's far far better than this, please upgrade this forum to use modern software.

jebinc | 2019年11月10日

Hear, hear... :-)

EVRider | 2019年11月10日

Not a priority for Tesla, since people manage to use the forums anyway.

There are tips and utilities for searching the forums here: https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/#search

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

Tesla has started to pay attention to the forums after years of neglect. Upgrading the forum software is one of reforms they mentioned.

1. Search.
2. Profiles so you can see your comment history.
3. Moderation so no delete gangs, profanity, personal attacks, off topic stuff.
4. Threaded messages with moderator pruning for thread drift.
5. Moderation to move topics to appropriate areas.
6. Sticky to post FAQ's and Commonly Asked Questions.
7. Graphics gallery to integrate pix into messages (no "amusing" pics or videos so maybe just links).

Best of class is Xenforo with the older style phpBB and vBulletin but they look so dated.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年11月10日

Does VW, Hyundai, Porsche, etc. host their own forums on their own website?

Hp.1193 | 2019年11月10日

Sends your concerns to forums@tesla.com

Otherwise it’s just considered a complaint by posting on here and nothing will heard/achieved.

lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

The last thing fish wants is a moderated forum

booshtukka | 2019年11月10日

++

bjrosen | 2019年11月10日

Magic 8 Ball@ VW, Hyundai, Porsche, are old line manufacturers, Tesla is a Silicon Valley tech company. Tech companies all host forums. Legacy car manufacturers release a new vehicle and then all they do it are bug fixes with a minor facelift after five years and a new model every 10 years. Tesla's are rolling computers that get updates every few weeks, some are minor but some are also major, V10 did a big upgrade to self driving, last weeks update boosted the power by 5% and imported the regen braking, there has never been a auto company that did that sort of thing before, and the the chances that any of the legacy companies will do that in the future are slim to none, they will do over the air bug fixes but that's it. Can you imagine how the lawyers are GM or VW would feel about running Beta software on people's cars, or how their sales and marketing people would feel about giving away new features as software updates? Seriously can you imagine GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Honda boosting the power by 5% on existing cars and not charging for it?

Tech companies need constant feedback because when you are constantly updating software then you need to hear about the bugs immediately and you need to hear about requests for new features.

Finally, Tesla's marketing is based entirely on the enthusiasm of there user community. They don't spend a penny on ADs, its all word of mouth.

bjrosen | 2019年11月10日

As to my original comment, in my last comment I said importing regen braking instead of improving regen braking. That's an example of why editing is needed.

lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

BJ

Nice speech, but I think we’re all in agreement on that already.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年11月10日

Worth a plug to my free extension that adds advanced search, poster highlighting, spam detection, removes duplicates posts, shows pictures, shows videos, and much more. See the screenshots to get an idea of how it works: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/teslatap-assistant-pro/iafcefg...

No need to wait for Tesla, although I can't help with everything :)

Hp.1193 | 2019年11月10日

K. Nice but

Sends your concerns to forums@tesla.com

Otherwise it’s just considered a complaint by posting on here and nothing will heard/achieved.

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

"The last thing fish wants is a moderated forum"@lbowroom

All the forums I've owned and operated from CompuServe to AOL to Xenforo software are all moderated. It really has to be to be functional. Originally real names were required until things move to the web based from closed systems like CIS and AOL. That became a security issue with all the data mining of personal info. Also women did not want to use their real names per survey results so we went screen names. Using real names cut down all the bad behaviors that anonymity online creates. This can be addressed with registration that requires that personal info. In Tesla's case its almost the reverse since Tesla has all kinds of personal and financial info on us already, it has to very secure system. Limiting access, even read only, to depositors or owners, is probably best model for Tesla.

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

Welcome to 2012

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

Translation:
The only way FISH gets to stay at a moderated forum is to either own or operate it. He got booted off here when there was more moderation.

lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

That’s all fascinating. However, we all know that fish cannot survive on a moderated forum

Bighorn | 2019年11月10日

And when I say "Welcome to 2012", I'm not suggesting the forum software is circa 2012, but that this complaint has been perennially lodged since then.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年11月10日

Meh. I'm sure this is no less than the 4077th time this request has been made. And ignored. With good reason.

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日
lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

So discussing what would happen if the forum software changed is off topic?

lbowroom | 2019年11月10日

If I were fish, this is what I would say.

Since I use the flag as inappropriate function of the forum. I am actually a forum maintainer. So am I going to upgrade my software? I was considering upgrading from solidworks 2019 to solidworks 2020. Thoughts?

haywood.ed | 2019年11月10日

Tesla does not have to host forums. If they do, then the forums reflect on their brand and should be managed appropriately.

Moderation is sorely needed. This forum is a dumpster fire of petty feuds.

-TheJohn- | 2019年11月10日

Wait wait now we're getting a M.A.S.H unit? We definitely need some Waahmbulances.

Mike UpNorth_ | 2019年11月10日

I like the forum as is. But as this is the only forum I've been on I have no basis to compare.

sheldon.mike1010 | 2019年11月10日

T-Tap: nice Chrome extension for this forum. Thx.

FISHEV | 2019年11月10日

8. Ability to edit posts/comments for 10 minutes after posting.
9. Ability to move post to correct topic

WhiteWi | 2019年11月10日

Ability to permanent ban for Fishy individuals

howard | 2019年11月10日

haywood.ed

This forum is a dumpster fire of petty feuds.

+1