Forums

Tesla charger not charging

Tesla charger not charging

I tried to open charge port with my regular tesla charger but it would not open port. I tapped and opened port and plugged in but would not turn green to charge . Tesla name on charger does not light up. I reset 60 amp fuse but no avail. HELP!!!

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

Did you reset cord?

txakoli | 2019年11月28日

If resetting the connector as BH suggests doesn't solve the issue, try a 120V outlet if possible (assuming you have a 5-15 adapter). That would be the next troubleshooting step.

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

@txakoli
Sounds like it’s probably hardwired.

txakoli | 2019年11月28日

@BH Could be, though I've heard many people refer to the UMC as a "charger".

Happy Thanksgiving, BTW.

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

True—just a hunch.
Happy Thanksgiving!

marcustcohn | 2019年11月28日

@OP --- When you 'reset' the fuse - I assume you meant circuit breaker - was it tripped before you did this ? And when you reset it did you click all the way to off and then all the way back to on ? Do you have a multi meter to test the outlet ? Does this circuit come from your main panel or a sub panel ? The easiest explanation is that the outlet is dead so make really sure it is OK before attacking other potential causes.

blundell31 | 2019年11月28日

i dont think the breaker was tripped. but i reset it a couple of times but no help. the green light is of not even flashing. i pressed the reset button no help. the oper on the wall charger plug would not open the charge port so i assume it is the charger. Someon said there is a fuze inside the charger but i dont know how to get at it to check. Do i need to spend 100 to call electrician, but if its the charger he will tell me to replace unit. it is only 1 year old and has been working fine

tes-s | 2019年11月28日

Tesla wall connector? Perhaps it is under warranty from Tesla.

AERODYNE | 2019年11月28日

To OP, you did not mention if you have Gen 2 or Gen 1 MC or wall mounted.

If you have an MC, try removing and reinstalling the existing adapter into the MC. I had a problem where the weight of the adapter on a Gen 2 unit caused it to loose contact.

blundell31 | 2019年11月28日

wall charger. I am trying to charge using my slow adapter plugged into an outlet. But it chargers on green for a while and then shuts of and turns dark. this seems to be a losing battle

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

Is there a reason my suggestion is being ignored?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/had-to-use-reset-button-on-hpwc....

AERODYNE | 2019年11月28日

This is also in the user manual, so it is a good suggestion

john.trapp | 2019年11月28日

I have had problems with charging from the mains, using the Tesla lead. Initially it is charging, but after a time it stops charging and shows red. Is it the same problem as experienced by others?

mizunosan | 2019年11月28日

Do you live anywhere near Seattle? I have a spare mobile charger you can try. Another suggestion is to see if you can Supercharge, just to eliminate any possibilities of an error within the vehicle itself.

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

@mizunosan
AC and DC charging are often impacted independently

tes-s | 2019年11月28日

Bighorn | November 28, 2019
Is there a reason my suggestion is being ignored?

blundell31 | November 28, 2019
i pressed the reset button no help.

I suggest a call to Tesla. They may have some other suggestions - and it may be under warranty.

Bighorn | 2019年11月28日

@tes
Thanks. Missed that

blundell31 | 2019年12月5日

Ok, here is where i am.
the Tesla software setup for getting something accomplished is USELESS for the olderr generation.
Absolutely rediculous that there is not a single HUMAN BEING that you can ask a legitimate qustion or solve
a problem for someone not up on the young gnerations way of communicating. My year old tesla wallcharger melted internal components and even melted wires within the wall. Its amazing the house did not catch fire The charger was installed by liscened electrician and removed by one. $500 for the charger and $500 to install it. now try to get a hold of a human to just ask one simple question by mouth. is this under warranty ?Can i just bring to a service center and get it replaced? Will tesla pay for the cost of reinstalling unit? I have to go to the service center location Tommorrow so i tried using the app to get an appt. they set one up in end of dec. Great for service. Incidentally i am an 88 year old Korean War vet with ta CIB.. To be continued.. after i get to the center tommorrow.

tes-s | 2019年12月5日

What did the electrician say?

Warranty will depend on what caused the melt. If an internal component failed and that is what melted, it will be covered under warranty. But since you sayd "even melted wires withing the wall" that may indicate an installation issue, where the wires were not connected properly causing a poor connection and heat that melted the wires (well, the insulation on the wires) in the wall and caused damage to the unit.

From reading the forums, I have seen lots of "melt" posts - all caused by loose connections. I have seen posts about HPWC failures, but don't recall any that caused melt damage.

murphyS90D | 2019年12月5日

There is a reason that copper ferrules are recommended to be installed on the ends of the wires. It is the only way to guarantee that all of the strands of the wire are part of the connection. If just one strand is not clamped the rating of the wire is reduced making it a heating point.

blundell31 | 2019年12月5日

tes-sThe electrician said a component failed and melted the wire insulation. I havent taken the unit to service yet, but any time you have two suppliers involved its usually the other guys fault, We will see.
murphyS90D i
you may have a point
But never the less Musk definately has to get some humans involved somewhere in their service support function. And it shouldnt be a high school graduate or someone in India or rangoon.
Thanks for the info. Also if any one else is having this problem i would like to know. Incidentally it takes a special bit to take the cover off. the electrician had to go buy one.

blundell31 | 2019年12月5日

tes-sThe electrician said a component failed and melted the wire insulation. I havent taken the unit to service yet, but any time you have two suppliers involved its usually the other guys fault, We will see.
murphyS90D i
you may have a point
But never the less Musk definately has to get some humans involved somewhere in their service support function. And it shouldnt be a high school graduate or someone in India or rangoon.
Thanks for the info. Also if any one else is having this problem i would like to know. Incidentally it takes a special bit to take the cover off. the electrician had to go buy one.

blundell31 | 2019年12月5日

murphyS90D i
you may have a point

murphyS90D | 2019年12月5日

The special bit came with the unit originally. What happened to it?

AERODYNE | 2019年12月5日

@blundell;

Sorry you are having problems. I believe you can just take the unit to a SC and they will approve the warranty claim and arrange to ship you a new unit. Take a picture of damage in the wall. It is worth a try instead of waiting for an appointment.

Neighbor has a Fist 500. He said his cars connector was shutting off. I took a look and the connector plug was internally shorted, and melted his outlet, only 120, 15A BTW.

Turns out the Fiat connector has a NTSB recall and the dealer replaced it with a new one immediately.

I'd like to think that Tesla should be happy that your house did not burn down, and that they are being sued, such that they would cheerfully supply you with a new WC and perhaps credit you for the reinstallation cost.

Bighorn | 2019年12月5日

I had a UMC go bad and had a new one in hand the next day thanks to overnight delivery.