Forums

Chargepoint charging interrupt when second car begins charging

Chargepoint charging interrupt when second car begins charging

Hi everyone,

So, I got my M3 a month ago and live in an apartment so I primarily charge on public chargepoint stations while at work which have two plugs. I've noticed if I'm in the middle of charging and someone else begins to charge on the other plug my charging is interrupted and I cannot restart using the app no matter how many times I press the "start charging" button. Then I have to make trek to my car to unplug and re-plug in on the same station to resume charging. Has anyone had the same the issue? Is it possibly just an anomaly with these specific stations?

Thanks.

jallred | 2019年12月17日

I've used chargepoint for my Leaf and for my Tesla at airport parking. It is common for charging rate to reduce in half when someone else plugs in. I've never had it stop charging because someone else plugs in.

I think is is specific to the station.

jebinc | 2019年12月17日

Sounds like a charging station that has a bad ground or something. Try a different charger.

lbowroom | 2019年12月17日

We have 16 dual stations at work that I charge at daily. No effect when the other side of the station plugs in.

apodbdrs | 2019年12月17日

@chriswsuarez, have you checked your car for nearby Tesla superchargers or on google maps (search tesla superchargers) to determine if there are some close to you?

rxlawdude | 2019年12月17日

If the current drops on an AC charging circuit in the middle of charging, wouldn't that trigger the Tesla to stop charging?

fsl2102 | 2019年12月17日

@chriswsuarez, Don't need to worry, your car are fine, the problem is the charge station. Especially those with two port power share one. My work has 40 those charge point stations and every single one does the same thing to Tesla very often. Not just the other car plug in can cause Tesla stop charge, even during charge, if other port is a Tesla, you most likely can get half the shared power very steady. If the other port is other brand EV, most likely you'll see your charge current goes up and down when the other car almost full. If the current variation become large enough, the Tesla will stop charge because too much noise in the power source.

mathisgood | 2019年12月17日

Thanks for all the input. I just charged for a long time on another Chargepoint station with 2 different people stopping and beginning to charge on the other plug so I'm pretty sure it's the specific station near my work that has this issue.

@apodbdrs there are superchargers nearby but they are vastly more expensive for me and for the battery's health I don't want to use them solely for charging up.
@rxlawdudue I do suspect it is something to do with an initial drastic drop in current that trips the Tesla to stop charging but I find it odd that I can't restart it with the Tesla app.
@fsl2102 Thanks for that info it useful to know that others might have experienced this.