Forums

Acceleration Boost option?

Acceleration Boost option?

I really hope this is real, I will buy it in a second.

Tesla is readying a new option, internally called „Acceleration Boost“, costing $2,000 for Model 3.
We don‘t know yet in which form it will see the light of day. Stay tuned!

https://twitter.com/TslaTracker/status/1207283459254865923

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

electrek.co/2019/12/18/tesla-acceleration-boost-upgrade-leaks-model-3/

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2019年12月18日

I guess same shit as stealth models. Makes sense, why not

AWDTesla | 2019年12月18日

This is great news and a great move by Tesla. I hope they offer more options like this for performance upgrades. If they knock .5 seconds off a quarter mile time for $2000, that is an amazing bang for you buck upgrade.

804son | 2019年12月18日

Sounds promising, I wonder how I can sell the wife on this kind of upgrade?????

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

Cooooool!

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

I wonder if you get the red line in the software and a new truck emblem?

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

trunk*

804son | 2019年12月18日

I would prefer to "fly" under the radar without the trunk emblem.

ajteslamodel3 | 2019年12月18日

Performance Model 3 Owners & Stealth Performance Model 3 Owners Should Be Able To Upgrade To 2.6 Seconds 0-60 Be Great!

teslamazing | 2019年12月18日

“ If they knock .5 seconds off a quarter mile time for $2000, that is an amazing bang for you buck upgrade.”

For an average Tesla driver, no.

JAD | 2019年12月18日

I wonder if this is in response to Porsche and their 'overboost' function for a few seconds of more power. They know it can't be sustained for any reasonable length of time, but Porsche has gotten very positive PR using this trickery versus Tesla just trying to maintain a high, but not quite as high, power level for longer. Give us 50 hp or so for 5 seconds with launch control and the specs could improve significantly.

jamespompi | 2019年12月18日

Check the upgrades porting on your tesla account at the bottom it states "The Acceleration Boost upgrade requires your car have software version 2019.40.2 installed to complete." however there is no purchase option yet.

jamespompi | 2019年12月18日

may be a worthy upgrade if it includes track mode.. RWD tuned out on the track would be fun too!

804son | 2019年12月18日

Apparently you can not access the Upgrades section if you have already purchased all available upgrades, like FSD.

JAD | 2019年12月18日

The article states it would be for all the AWD versions, which would be both performance and non-performance, but I am not sure where they get that info based on the footnote.

jamespompi | 2019年12月18日

@JAD yeah that seems like more of an assumption there. I feel like the RWD has a lot more to give, Tesla just didnt want to get it too close to the AWD variant. I mean the 0-60 from LR RWD to performance is like 2 seconds faster.. cant see that all coming from just the smaller front motor.

CST | 2019年12月18日

I'm already burning through tires too quickly, no need for even faster acceleration... thanks

dmastro | 2019年12月18日

Anecdotally, I have AWD and the footnote is showing up on my account - for what that's worth. No plans to purchase it if and when it is available.

howard | 2019年12月18日

Interesting sales tactic. Wonder how much this will affect performance models sales when they make this available to non-performance models. Does Tesla really need the short term cash that much that they are willing to take sales away from their higher-end model? It is a never-ending crapshoot. Buy now, wait for steep discounts on most options including performance, who knows maybe it will all be free in the future. Don't get me wrong I loved buying FSD for 2K. Wait, I have not really gotten anything for it yet. Oh, the dream of owning a Tesla.

slingshot18 | 2019年12月18日

I’ll buy it in a second.

804son | 2019年12月18日

If I can get P3D- performance, you betcha!

Catloaf | 2019年12月18日

I will buy this immediately if it is released. I wanted a stealth in March but there were none available and I was under the impression they were not going to make anymore. My buddy just got a stealth a month ago and I'm so jealous... I want the power, but don't want to trade my beautifully wrapped AWD LR for a stealth and start that process over again. This gives me hope!!!!!

I don't really care about if it gets close to a performance in cost, if the RWD is then close to the AWD in performance... Tesla has already shown they'll whipsaw back and forth with prices to sell things. Part of buying a Tesla is taking risk - risk that you'll need to wait a few months for service parts, risk that the price will decrease dramatically, risk that your lower tax advantage will suddenly increase again if Congress ever decides to continue the tax rebate program permanently for all EVs... so I just focus on the now, and getting all the power I can get :)

That being said, my poor tires... 14k and already 6/32 left, more power won't be friendly to them. Thank goodness I suppose that I don't have the 20's.

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

Code syntax here (Zero to Sixty goes from 4.4s to 3.9s)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4307188/

With the last free performance upgrade, LR AWDs were, in the real world, seeing sub 4s (w/rollout). If this "For Fee" upgrade is really to 3.9, I'M OUT! NFW, Tesla.

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

I will buy the moment it is available.

@howard I think you are missing something. It costs $2k, want to guess the price of a P3D- over a LR AWD? Yep 2k....

The performance models come with more and will still be viable and cost more. This is just matching the existing product offerings.

howard | 2019年12月18日

Joshan, Thanks! I stopped paying attention to Tesla pricing right after I bought my P3D+ last August.

Mike UpNorth_ | 2019年12月18日

Awesome, yet a little disappointed. Sounds like its half the boost of the full 3P-/3P+. Instead of 3.3s its 3.8s. So this would create a whole new variant. Maybe the 3P--?

I'm torn. A full second faster and I drop the $2k. Only 0.5s faster I'm hesitant.

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

Sine I already see 3.98s (w/Rollout), I'm not paying anything to get to 3.9s. The Stealth configuration happens to be $2000 more than a LR AWD, upon order. If this LR AWD "Upgrade" doesn't take it to equal a Stealth (for $2000), it seems like it will have a low "take-up rate". Who would be pissed off if they offered full Stealth? No one... Stealth buyers that paid the same amount more ($2000) for Stealth performance as this "Upgrade" is purported to cost. Performance + buyers? No more than they already are when Tesla offered the Stealth for $2000 more than the LR AWD....

jordanrichard | 2019年12月18日

This is Tesla printing money..... I am not saying that in a negative way. There is no additional cost to them to offer this. they simply hit "send" on a keyboard and start printing the money.

The article implys that Tesla may be doing this to boost 4th qtr revenue/profits, but to wait until 2 weeks to the end of the quarter doesn't really give anyone time to go for this upgrade. Most people are going to want to see a real world example of what this boost will do, before plunking down $2K.

804son | 2019年12月18日

@jebinc I agree, if the price is $2k, they would need to offer the full P3D- improvement. If not there is not much reason anyone would want it.

Much agreed Jeb and Jordan.

jebinc | 2019年12月18日

-@jordanrichard

It could be that the "boost" is packaged with FSD, enticing non FSD owners to pony up. Existing FSD owners would get a free Xmas present. Dreaming, sure, but....

$2K for full 3P-.....I can't click buy fast enough.

christian | 2019年12月18日

Are people who have already paid for FSD seeing this in their account? (I'm not.) If not, is it possible that the speed boost is being bundled with FSD as an additional incentive to purchasing FSD?

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

jebinc | December 18, 2019
Sine I already see 3.98s (w/Rollout), I'm not paying anything to get to 3.9s.

You are comparing apples and oranges. With the information we have (which is not fact yet) it states a .5 second increase in the testing done by Tesla. Using someone else's speed tests which also include a rollout does not seem to be an accurate comparison.

I'll be annoyed if that's the case....but def could be. Would be a smart T move.

lbowroom | 2019年12月18日

"Who would be pissed off if they offered full Stealth? No one...

I initially paid $11,000 more than the standard AWD for my Stealth. I cashed in on the offer to trade FUSC for $5,000. So I paid $6,000 more for my Stealth. Am I pissed that people who settled for AWD may get it to $2,000? Not really, but seems like you didn't know the full story.

@lbow

I knew that was coming.....but don't hater :) Put yourself in our shoes. WE WANT!

And its sort of free $ for T (minus the increased battery failure possibility).....We all want T to succeed, here's an extra ~$150M for the quarter :)

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

It is really no different for anyone else. My LR AWD is also thousands less if you buy it now compared to when I did.

I paid like $1000 for my Pixel 4 XL a couple months or so ago. Now its already on sale. Not pissed at all.

Exactly Josh.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2019年12月18日

I see FSD option available and that is it.

lbowroom | 2019年12月18日

"Acceleration Boost" sounds more like a special launch mode more analogous to Ludicrous Mode than a full time unlock. Could it mean different things to different models? It shows up in my profile and I already have the Performance acceleration. If it gets me to 2.6 and gets the AWD to 3.0 cool.

lbowroom | 2019年12月18日

"Exactly Josh."

It's a long and complicated calculation when you factor in rebates...etc. I'll concede that there's enough water under that bridge to not cause a gripe.

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

no one knows yet :) all just guessing until Tesla tells us!

Give a fun non-FUD topic to talk about today though LOL

lbowroom | 2019年12月18日

Either the FUD has slowed down, or I'm just losing interest in it.

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

It is getting harder and harder to push the FUD with Teslas continued success. Most have given up except that dude with gills.

andy.connor.e | 2019年12月18日

Idk, many companies are jumping on "Trump killed Tesla's future" because he did not extend the tax credit.

Joshan | 2019年12月18日

I just meant this forum, not the internet in general.

andy.connor.e | 2019年12月18日

It probably gets boring to keep explaining why lies are wrong.

Pages