Forums

Wall Charger

Wall Charger

I am moving soon and am wondering if it would be better to purchase the Gen3 wall charger and sell my current one with the house or on ebay. I have moved it once already and have had it since I bought my first Tesla in late 2012. Anyone have any thought on this?

Dramsey | 2020年2月3日

My understanding is that the Gen 3 wall charger is limited to 48 amps max; depending on when you bought your car, you might want to keep the old charger.

Original Model S cars could charge at up to 80 amps.
The facelift cars starting in 2016 are limited to 72 amps.
Current cars are limited to 48 amps (all @240 volts).

philgrocks | 2020年2月8日

@Dramsey has it right. I had one of the cars that could with optional added charger take up to 80A/240V. So that is what I installed.

My 2nd model S could go to 72A

I think the thinking was back then that faster charging might be needed, since the supercharging network was limited.

Fast forward to today... the supercharging network is much more impressive (Tesla's hidden in plane sight killer feature) so faster charging at home or at a destination is not nearly as critical.

If you take a 100KW battery and depleted it to 10%, charging to 100% can be done in less than 8 hours with a 48A charger. Which nearly never happens...

So I would leave the charger behind and get a new one. That is what I am planning on doing next time I move.

NMHousewife1 | 2020年2月8日

I got the new wall connector gen 3 and you can put a max 60amp on it but you only get 48 amp output. I can get up to 44 miles an hour charge on my model S 75 but sometimes it’s at 32-34 miles an hour charge. I don’t know if it’s slower when I’m more than 50% or if it just slows down when it’s almost done. I’ve read Gen 2 has 80 amp but it still only goes to 60 Amp & the output is still 48amps but Idk if that’s true. How much is your amp output to you get on Gen 2? How many Max miles an hour charge to you get on gen 2?

akikiki | 2020年2月8日

NM, I apologize if this sounds rude. Not the intent. But those questions have been asked and answered dozens of times. Takes a lot to specifically answer each one. So instead, please read this
https://teslatap.com/articles/owners-manual-companion/
It will answer many of your questions. Many more that you have not even considered yet.
Written by a well spoken member here and maintained regularly.
And his site has much more to offer https://teslatap.com/ Book mark it. It's very useful