Forums

Model 3 now Consumer Reports Top EV

Model 3 now Consumer Reports Top EV

From the article: Consumer Reports senior director of automotive testing Jake Fisher stated in an interview with Bloomberg that a combination of performance and consumer satisfaction ultimately boosted Tesla in the organization’s rankings. “The vehicles perform phenomenally. People just love these vehicles,” he said.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-consumer-reports-mo...

WW_spb | 2020年2月20日

Thank you for your helpful input Fish Stick.

drrock75k | 2020年2月20日

11th place makes it the lone American manufacturer to get close to CR top 10. Sheesh!

PteRoy | 2020年2月20日

What was the top ev before?

mrburke | 2020年2月20日

@Rikki “Fish” or “Dip” ?

WW_spb | 2020年2月20日

Fishstick

jimglas | 2020年2月20日

Fish must of got tired being mabuck?

WW_spb | 2020年2月20日

BuckTroll probably got banned

M3phan | 2020年2月20日

Still don’t respect CR. Fickle dinosaurs.

M3phan | 2020年2月20日
WW_spb | 2020年2月20日

Wow that video reminds me how Fish talks about bad Auto pilot and blind spot monitoring but never uses it. What a joke.

M3phan | 2020年2月20日

That video is bad all right. Laughable how they drive the car.

Bighorn | 2020年2月20日

Ford still can’t break into the top half after over 100 years. Certainly my worst vehicle ever.

M3phan | 2020年2月20日

Oops, I should’ve said the video is good, and how it exposes how bad CR was in their review… That’s what I meant.

SamO | 2020年2月20日

CR sucks.

A blind squirrel finds a bit every once in a while.

SamO | 2020年2月20日

CR sucks.

A blind squirrel finds a bit every once in a while.

WW_spb | 2020年2月21日

And amusing Tesla hater that leased and then bought Tesla is amazing. Again why do you come here every day? Ah, that's right bc you are Stinky Fish Troll.

andy.connor.e | 2020年2月21日

stinky

mcmack15 | 2020年2月21日

The reliability and service we have experienced with our S and 3 are both far superior from what we have ever experienced with any other car (5 corvettes, 1 Firebird, 3 Lexus', 2 BMW's and many Cadillacs). No comparison. Best one was when BMW hit our car on their lot with another customer's car as we were waiting to pick it up, and then they hinted around about how much it was going to cost us to have it repaired????? And within seconds they ruled out giving us a loaner while they repaired the car. They were shocked that we made it clear we weren't paying for them to repair the car they damaged------notably, they readily acknowledged their worker hit our car---that was never in question.as it happened about 40 feet from where we were waiting. All they did was spend 20 minutes trying to explain to us we should feel obligated to them for being so responsive by agreeing to fix the car within the next few days versus us waiting a week or more????

andy.connor.e | 2020年2月21日

@mcmack15

Sounds like you owe them big time for doing the right thing.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年2月21日

The model 3 is an excellent car, but for the price, Tesla needs to get rid of the two super Tesla haters/FUDsters from the forums.

Big_Ed | 2020年2月21日

Not just top EV. One of 3 top picks for all vehicles in 45k-55k range. Most impressive accomplishment for a 10 year old car company, and good on CR for changing their position when facts change.

LOL at some of you with feelings hurt because CR once said something mean about your favorite car.

jimglas | 2020年2月21日

And its not even a turbo

lbowroom | 2020年2月21日

mabuck, again with the, "its great and I love it, but it sucks and they should do better...…" rinse and repeat. Did you learn that pattern in marketing school?

WW_spb | 2020年2月21日

Just call him for what he is Buck Troll Fish's lil sister

M3phan | 2020年2月21日

Absolutely impressive achievements for such a young car company, no doubt about that!
For the record, my feelings aren’t hurt in the slightest. I have zero tolerance for shabby reporting.

Haggy | 2020年2月23日

CR uses objective criteria, but it's questionable whether criteria established decades ago are as useful today. It used to be that a reliable car didn't break down very often, but an unreliable one did. Your car would die in the middle of the street. These days, they still go by percentages to see what's below average, but you need only 3% of cars to have a defect in a given area to hit the threshold. People who never read CR and just went by what they read online often got the impression that Tesla was unreliable in the classic sense when it really meant that a car might have been called "below average" because of a few issues with trim that Tesla fixed in your garage.

I can't blame CR for coming up with the criteria, but they need to seriously reconsider whether what used to be a major concern but no longer is should trump customer satisfaction when it comes to ratings. How can you say to somebody that you know that they'll probably be much more satisfied with a Tesla, but you recommend that they get something that they'd be less satisfied with?

As for overall position, Tesla has three models. It was even worse with two models, because nagging issues with the Model X, which were largely annoyance type issues, meant that half the models (and now 1/3) didn't meet CR standards. If the Model 3 and Model S were considered alone, Tesla would be much higher on the list.

You can't really go by the overall brand with any car without considering the individual vehicle. I'm not trying to bash the Model X, but it works out that with CR's particular formula, the X drags down the average. It doesn't mean that people don't like the X when they get one. It's quite the opposite.

Let's not forget that CR has always liked Tesla. Even when models dropped off the recommended list, it didn't mean that they were bad cars. CR still said great things about them. They had a list of cars that met certain criteria across the board, but it never meant that anything not on the list wasn't good. The Model S was their highest tested car ever.

When NAO first came out, Jake Fisher didn't think it was ready, or that automatic lane change without confirmation should be turned on. That led to many misleading articles, and Fisher had to put out a "that's not what I said" statement, in which he praised the car and autopilot overall.

All of this has to be taken in context. You can't call CR schizophrenic without saying the same about Tesla fans who boasted about CR when they first reviewed the Model S, criticized them when they took it off the recommended list, said "I told you so" when they put it back on, condemned them later, and now look at CR and say "look at how good Tesla is."

lbowroom | 2020年2月23日

Thinking people don’t just choose a side and follow blindly. When something is wrong, they disagree. When something is right, they agree. Regardless if the source is the same for both.

lbowroom | 2020年2月23日

People are on to your marketing games

Sarah R | 2020年2月23日

@FISHSTICK

Kudos for a great turn of phrase ... almost. "... worst case of whiplash since Nader drove his Corsair into the back of a Pinto."

Should have been Corvair. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say that autocorrect killed what would otherwise have been great wordsmithy.

But you're still an obnoxious troll.

FISHEV | 2020年2月23日

“Should have been Corvair.“

That’s totally on Safari auto correct.

lbowroom | 2020年2月23日

But your behavior and psychological gameplay is not

coselectric | 2020年2月23日

And on the topic of being objectively correct on all points...

+1 Sarah

lbowroom | 2020年2月23日

Yikes, I hit a nerve

jordanrichard | 2020年2月23日

The number of problems a car has means absolutely nothing, if people still love the car and would recommend it to others. Clearly these “problems” really aren’t problems because who would highly recommend a car that had real problems.

The flaw in CR’s surveys or any survey about reliability is there is no clear definition of what a problem is. It. Is subjective. Take a Honda Accord and VW Passat that both have a suspension issue. The Honda owner doesn’t pay attention and hence doesn’t report it, but the VW owner does. Does that mean the VW has a suspension problem and the Honda doesn’t? Also the more things/features a car has, the more there is that can go wrong. Take a car A that has 50 features and 5 of them fail. Take car B that has 100 features. Car A owners cite 5 things wrong and Car B owners cite 8 things wrong. On the surface it appears that car B has more problems, but when in fact it is car A because 10% of their features failed which is more than car B.

So in summary, it is all relative. All that matters is how many owners would recommend their car to others.

akgolf | 2020年2月24日

The higher the stock goes the more activity we get from shorters.

I’m loving it.

F.vanalstine | 2020年3月3日

Tesla 3 is front center on the cover of CUs April, 2020 Best and Worst Car issue.

It is on their best 10 list inside too.

sleeper service | 2020年3月3日

I find Consumer Reports rather strange when it comes to EVs. Apparently they haven't noticed the conflict between high consumer satisfaction and their low ratings. I believe they are stuck in the "stink potter" mode (old naval term for non-wind powered vessels which I find more appropriate than "ICE"). They complain about the complexity of the interface which only appears complex until you get used to it. They also don't say much about the voice interface for commands. They're just stuck in "stink potter" mode.

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月3日

Model 3 is the best and the worst apparently. #SeemsLegit

FISHEV | 2020年3月3日

"Apparently they haven't noticed the conflict between high consumer satisfaction and their low ratings."

Except it is really the high tolerance of Tesla customers for issues with the car. CR is steady state, using solid standard tests and metrics to measure all cars. When it derate Model 3 due to all the issues, it noted that owners, while reporting the issues were still loyal to the car.

The problems with AP adaptive cruise, lane keeping etc. are still there for example leaving Model 3 one of the lowest rated on those features.

"Least satisfying: BMW, Volkswagen, Tesla
One BMW owner points out the limitations with some systems, writing, “It actually turns off if my speed drops below 30 mph. What were they thinking? In bumper to bumper traffic it doesn't work! Or [in] slow moving traffic. Plus the light isn't in the mirror so it's not immediately apparent if the light is on. Also hard to see if it's too sunny.” A Tesla driver reveals a factor with some blind spot warnings—the location of the warning: “The blind spot monitoring system only displays on the center display panel, which is out of the line of sight of a driver using any rearview mirror during lane changes.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/blind-spot-warning-guide/

lbowroom | 2020年3月3日

please share pictures of your aftermarket BSI system installed on your car. We'd love to see it.

FISHEV | 2020年3月3日

"please share pictures of your aftermarket BSI system installed on your car."

https://rydeenmobile.com/product-categories/

WW_spb | 2020年3月3日

Lier lier pants on fire

coselectric | 2020年3月3日

CR finally caught up to actual Model 3 owners' opinions. Remember the Bloomberg survey from last November? Just as a recap, of 4591 Model 3 owners surveyed, 98.8% answered that they would recommend the vehicle to friends or family, and 98.2% answered that they would buy a Model 3 again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-tesla-model-3-survey/market-evol...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2020年3月3日

Haggy remains always right.

jordanrichard: Agreed. It is the problem caused by Consumer Reports using Subjective terms to quantify Relative issues that are then stated in an Objective manner at fault here. Their surveys should be more specific in order to garner more factual results. Old companies tend to harbor ancient techniques of evaluation and neglect to review their processes to determine whether they still apply. Personally, I hate that they tend to test all vehicles relative to the capabilities of a circa 1992 minivan. As if that is the sole functional purpose of all vehicles.

lbowroom | 2020年3月3日

I didn't leave any wiggle room in that request. I said pictures of YOUR car, not the manufacturers information site. Just like you won't show an actual screenshot of an EA charging session for YOUR car. Just like you won't show a picture of your odometer.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2020年3月3日

lbowroom: B-b-but, but... If he gave you valid evidence, you could refer to it at a later date to expose his duopoly! I mean, surely you aren't expecting FEESHICE to be even dumber than our President, are you?

FISHEV | 2020年3月3日

"CR finally caught up to actual Model 3 owners' opinions"

CR has been polling and publishing the Model 3 owner views since Day 1. As we see above, owners are the one's noting all the issues which lead to Tesla correcting some (fit and finish) and leaving others (AP safeties, cruise, lane keeping, BLIS/RCTA) CR's object tests allowed Tesla to fix many of the issues and move up in CR ratings.

Owners still have a lot of issues with the Model 3 but are willing to overlook them but they do report them and CR's reports the owner's views.

WW_spb | 2020年3月3日

By ClownFish-"Owners still have a lot of issues with the Model 3"
Not really, only uneducated or Haters like you.

FISHEV | 2020年3月3日

That was just four months ago. Owners love the car but report a lot of problems.

"Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues: Owners report problems with paint, trim, and electronics in Consumer Reports' survey."

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla...

coselectric | 2020年3月3日

"Owners still have a lot of issues with the Model 3 but are willing to overlook them"

Apparently 98.8% are either willing to overlook their issues or don't actually have any.

Pages