Forums

Authorized Tesla Body Shop Ridiculous Charge For Repainting Front Bumper

Authorized Tesla Body Shop Ridiculous Charge For Repainting Front Bumper

So I have a couple of chips that I touched up recently on my red model 3's front bumper but still not as great as fixing it professionally. So because my local Tesla service center doesn't do paint work on the cars, I went to their website and called one of their authorized local body shops on the approved list. Now, I have two small chips I touched up with the Tesla touch up paint in the multicoat red. So, after having the shop look at my car here's their estimate. To pull the front bumper off and repaint and reinstall the bumper the total charge was about $2500. I can't believe it's that high. I figured probably about $600-$800 tops. I called my local Tesla service center and can buy a whole new front bumper pre-painted at Tesla's factory for $900. Figure another $200-$250 for labor to install. How the heck did this shop get to $2500? I did't bother calling them back to inquire. I'm going to one of the other shops on the list to get a quote. My only concern with going the new pre-painted route is that my car is 1 1/2 years old and would a newly red painted bumper match or stand out like a sore thumb? I'm guessing there might be some fading after 1 1/2 years. Although I do park it in my enclosed garage and it's mostly in the shade when parked M-F at work. Just wondering if I'm wrong in thinking $2500 to repaint a bumper is insane?

Teslaguy | 2020年2月21日

A cuouple of chips......leave it alone. You will be getting additional chips, and when you can’t stand it ,get it painted.
For some reason shops think Tesla owners are easy pickings.

maztec | 2020年2月21日

When I went to get a correction made to one of my bumpers, I was told the extra cost was for them to hire an electrician to come out and disconnect the power supply. "Electric cars are the only cars that may kill us simply by disconnecting the battery or make the car unusable if we reconnect the battery incorrectly." Plus the extra cost of removing and then reinstalling the sensors on the inside of the bumper. I got a quote to completely replace the bumper in the alternative, but it came out almost the same due to the "electrician".

Scrannel | 2020年2月21日

To get the color right (which means a competent paint shop) plus all the electrical gear, it's not insane. On the other hand, do you really have to take the bumper off? Keep asking around --

ShaunyD | 2020年2月22日

It does seem high to me. I was shocked when I was quoted $1,100 CAD here in Vancouver, BC a few months back. I naively thought they would just do a quick touch-up job and blend it in. But I guess if they are a pro shop they want to do it right. They said the bumper has to come off which involves disconnecting all the sensors. I just left mine alone. It's a plastic bumper so It's not going to rust. I will wait until there is more damage.
I would show your quote to your Tesla SC in case their approved shop is gouging their customers.

shank15217 | 2020年2月22日

This is why for the people who care about paint chips, getting a vehicle wrap is a good idea. Personally I don't care about paint chipping.

AWDTesla | 2020年2月22日

It's about $1000 to paint my 911 bumper that had sensors in them also. $2500 better include a handjob.

SO | 2020年2月22日

Did you compare to any other certified shops?

$2,500 seems too high.

mcmack15 | 2020年2月22日

I paid about $125 to get one of the bumpers painted last summer by a VERY reputable body shop. It came out perfect. They will be doing the other bumper in a few months when the weather breaks (I scratched it pretty good hitting a block of ice at the end of my daughter's driveway).

You don't have to go to one of the shops on Tesla's list (in fact, our local SC urged me not to because everyone was complaining how 'their' shops were all too far away).

I used a place that previously did a great job when a tree fell on my sports car. My recommendation is to go to a few car shows and ask those owners whom they would recommend; go on line and look up local corvette, mustang clubs, etc. and give them a call for a reference.

I stumbled upon my guy. Had my 1st corvette in for an oil change at a local Chevy/ Ford dealer when they backed into it with one of their pickup trucks that had the tailgate down----the manager and I were 5 feet away as it happened. Long story short, I went back the next day to get my coat from the car and learned they sent the car out to be repaired---head guy told it was sent to an in town shop where they send all their 'tough' jobs.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年2月22日

"...Just wondering if I'm wrong in thinking $2500 to repaint a bumper is insane?"

How many years has that shop been in business?

Lonestar10_1999 | 2020年2月22日

If the paint chips are small I would just live with it. The $2500 would be better spent on three shares of TSLA stock.

FISHEV | 2020年2月22日

"To pull the front bumper off and repaint and reinstall the bumper the total charge was about $2500."

I paid $1,800 for bumper repaint so $2,500 is not crazy high. Shop did a great job. You can't tell it was repainted.

FISHEV | 2020年2月22日

And that is what Progressive paid so the $1,800 is likely discounted price for volume business by Progressive so retail of $2,500 looks reasonable.

Joho.keith | 2020年2月22日

I was quoted $1900 and they explained that they also replace the in bumper sensors rather than disassemble and reconnect and hope they didn’t damage them. Insurance company insisted on new sensors.

ajgianoli | 2020年2月22日

I’m in the sticks with no authorized Tesla body shops near. When I asked a local shop, who looked into it, he said the special equipment required was $20K. I suppose training, too. He was worried about R.O.I.

FISHEV | 2020年2月22日

"they explained that they also replace the in bumper sensors rather than disassemble and reconnect"

My shop said they did not have to replace sensors in bumper, they checked with Tesla, and that is why just $1,800. As they explained it, they don't replace the sensors, just get a whole new bumper from Tesla if sensors are damaged.

Bighorn | 2020年2月22日

I’d pay $150 for an excellent job. Anything more is not worth it and emblematic of ripping off “rich people.”
Using insurance raises your rates for years, in most cases to more than cover their costs.

Tronguy | 2020年2月22日

FISH is present. And is blathering on about just how much it costs to even lay eyes on a Tesla. Hence:

Public Service Announcement:

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

hcdavis3 | 2020年2月22日

I was quoted 3200 to fix a small ding in my rear bumper by a Tesla authorized body shop. Fortunately there’s a place that does repairs right down the street. They fixed the ding for 300 bucks. You can’t see where they painted the spot on my bumper.

ICE_ZAPR | 2020年2月22日

I had the same experience just recently to fix a scuff mark with paint damage on my rear bumper. My first inquiry was also $2500 by a local authorized body shop. I ended up picking another authorized body shop with stellar Yelp reviews, quoted a little more than $1K. They did an excellent job in 3 days despite less than half the cost. Be sure to shop around, there are motivated shops out there willing to take your business.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2020年2月22日

There must be perception that Tesla owners are a privileged class with deep pockets and “sucker” written on our foreheads.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年2月22日

I can see if you're in a serious accident that crushes the bumper, some of the parking sensors could be damaged and would need to be replaced.

For just a repaint, it takes a couple of minutes to disconnect/remove the parking sensors. Nothing special about them and no calibration is needed. I bet 80% of all cars sold today have parking sensors. They are quite robust and any shop that doesn't understand how to disconnect them should be avoided. Any special charges related to the parking sensors are likely just to pad the bill.

ADinM3 | 2020年2月22日

If you go to a pro shop they will likely only want to restore to new condition and it will cost a lot although $2500 sounds very high. As several have said, I would just touch it up myself and live with it but a middle ground would be to find a quality detailing and ask them to touch it up. Probably not perfect it you look closely under right lighting but they can probably do a better job than you could and may charge next to nothing if you already have the touch up kit.