Forums

Should I seek help from Teslanon if I am getting excited for my HW3 upgrade in 2 days?

Should I seek help from Teslanon if I am getting excited for my HW3 upgrade in 2 days?

I feel kind nerdy getting excited about a computer upgrade just to see some visualization on a screen :)

hokiegir1 | 2020年2月25日

It's taking everything I have to wait to submit a service request for mine. I'm trying to be patient, but I want to see lights and cones, damnit! ;)

Joshan | 2020年2月25日

I could no longer wait. I opened a request in the app for it and it was approved.

hokiegir1 | 2020年2月25日

Well, we loaned our Santa Fe to a friend for the last week -- so we were down to our 3 and the anti-Tesla (diesel dually), which I can't take to work...so part of it was because I didn't want to risk being car-less for a few days that I've been able to wait. I'm also nervous we will lose a "benefit" that we have for no reason re: supercharging when they reset things...so, I'm trying to hold out until they contact me. We'll see how long I make it, given we pick up the Santa fe again today. I know there are a number of people in the local FB group getting swapped.

Stinnett | 2020年2月25日

This is curious. I am extremely satisfied with my M3, and it's still (after 16 months) the only one around here. I use AP every day. I absolutely enjoy everything about it. But I am in no hurry whatsoever to rush the installation of HW3. I haven't called or emailed the delivery center about it, not even once to see if I was "on the list." Although I am an M3 enthusiast, does this mean I am not really among the Inner Circle? Inquiring minds want to know.

Life is good but it's better in a Tesla.

Joshan | 2020年2月25日

it means you have more patience than me :) I admittedly have next to none.

andy.connor.e | 2020年2月25日

nice @Joshan. Some people said they put in a request for hardware upgrade and it was denied because of availability.

Joshan | 2020年2月25日

This was my 3rd try. I first tried in December and they asked me to wait 4 weeks. I did and asked 4 weeks later and they asked me to try again in 4 weeks. I did and it was approved!

Guess 3rd time was the charm :)

M3D | 2020年2月25日

Once you get the upgrade you will switch to waiting for new software to take advantage of the hardware. It is nice to see the new visualizations, and there is an unmeasurable "it seems more decisive and settled in the lane" feeling to autopilot. Be ready to redo WiFi, Bluetooth for audio/texts, browser bookmarks, and for me radio presets. I was scheduled to go in for seat creaking and added HW3 to see if it was available, lo and behold they installed it! I think they have more supply out in teh field, and also they said "We are getting pretty fast with these" so at least at my SC they knew what they were doing as opposed to my being a guinea pig.

SamO | 2020年2月25日

I requested FSD computer upgrade twice, but the service was cancelled. 3rd time was a charm last month. Love the cone visualizations. Otherwise pretty much the same.

For now.

jfaubl | 2020年2月25日

I just want it so I have it when something comes out that needs it.

M3phan | 2020年2月25日

I’ve got a short list of some service center items and I’m going to group HW3 request with it, but not for a couple of months yet. Really excited to hear that they’re getting better/quicker at installing it

SolArray | 2020年2月25日

**M3D**'s comments above are right on target.
Great to have it installed for peace of mind, but only subtle changes noted so far like improved handling in EAP with lane keeping on, and in NoA it is often suggesting a return to right lane after passing successfully. Otherwise - just waiting for next level of capabilities when it happens.

roger.klurfeld | 2020年2月27日

My appointment for the HW3 installation is next week. Last week I made a service request from the app, checked other, and said HW3 computer install.In about 10 minutes the service center confirmed my appointment. Two months ago Tesla was telling owners that they would get in touch when their personal HW3 computer was ready to be installed. That is no longer the case. I'm getting it installed because Elon said a few weeks ago that a complete rewrite of the autopilot software is almost done. My hunch is that the new version will run only on the HW3 computer and i want to be ready.

CharleyBC | 2020年2月27日

So, @Joshan, it's 2 days later now. How'd it go? How are the cones and trash cans?

drrock75k | 2020年2月27日

I find it rather anticlimactic. Displays stop lights and signs, cones, trash cans, etc. But doesn't add to driving capabilities - yet. I was hoping for improvement in smart summon feature but not the case.